Stranger things and the Chapter 9 of Revelation -- strange.

Juan777

Jun 20, 2022
Toronto
✟20,153.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
I just watched Season 4 of Stranger Things and I could not help but feel that this show has inadvertently introduced concepts that sound eerily similar to the dimensional cross-overs in the book of Revelation between a hellish realm and the Earth.

When we see the particles coming in the air and invading Hawkins and forming the shadow monster after the Earthquake, it reminds me of Revelation 9.

For example, we see this in Revelation 9:
2 And he opened the bottomless pit; and there arose a smoke out of the pit, as the smoke of a great furnace; and the sun and the air were darkened by reason of the smoke of the pit.

3 And there came out of the smoke locusts upon the earth: and unto them was given power, as the scorpions of the earth have power.

4 And it was commanded them that they should not hurt the grass of the earth, neither any green thing, neither any tree; but only those men which have not the seal of God in their foreheads.

5 And to them it was given that they should not kill them, but that they should be tormented five months: and their torment was as the torment of a scorpion, when he striketh a man.

6 And in those days shall men seek death, and shall not find it; and shall desire to die, and death shall flee from them."

Did anyone else get this? This is one of the both weirdest and horrifying things I've read. Does that sound like a Stranger Things moment in Revelation? Is this like an army of demonic bats portrayed in the Upside Down coming out of that pit and tormenting people?

Juan777

Jun 20, 2022
Toronto
✟20,153.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Why do you think it was inadvertent?

The storyline is not prophetic, it's based in 1985, and I'm sure people of the likes of the Duffer Brothers don't have the same Christian mindset or worldview towards Bible prophecy.

Upvote 0

eclipsenow

Scripture is God's word, Science is God's works
Dec 17, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Visit site
✟142,677.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Nah, it's traditional sci-fi tropes etc, just very well produced for the "Kid's on Bikes" genre.
Go back the middle ages and scary end of the world stories were all pretty much a retelling of Revelation!

Upvote 0

Tanj

Redefined comfortable middle class
Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
The storyline is not prophetic

Doesn't need to be to draw reference from the Bible.

it's based in 1985, and I'm sure people of the likes of the Duffer Brothers don't have the same Christian mindset or worldview towards Bible prophecy.

They are masters at pop and general culture reference, which includes the Bible. Also things that you are sure of. Really??

The Duffer Brothers – Theology + Movies

For that reason, a theological reading of Stranger Things is perhaps inevitable. The series is clearly an attempt to “re-enchant” suburban America, where religious affiliation continues to decline in favor of a techno-therapeutic understanding of human existence. Stranger Things, in contrast, takes an almost Pauline approach to daily life, depicting it as the site where otherworldly “principalities and powers” (Eph 6:12) intervene in human affairs, bringing death and destruction in their wake. In the face of this threat, people have to unite together, forming a like-minded “assembly” (in Greek, ekklesia) of those attuned both to the danger and to the virtues that can resist it. That is not to say that the members of this assembly are perfect. Some are vain, some naive, some unhappy. And yet, their flaws serve to make their union all the more poignant; they are not so much a “dysfunctional family” as a collection of dysfunctional individuals who, in love and for love, are able to overcome their personal failings for the sake of the common good.

• Winner
Reactions: Juan777
Upvote 0

Paul4JC

the Sun of Righteousness will rise with healing
Apr 5, 2020
California
✟164,250.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I just watched Season 4 of Stranger Things and I could not help but feel that this show has inadvertently introduced concepts that sound eerily similar to the dimensional cross-overs in the book of Revelation between a hellish realm and the Earth.

When we see the particles coming in the air and invading Hawkins and forming the shadow monster after the Earthquake, it reminds me of Revelation 9.

For example, we see this in Revelation 9:
2 And he opened the bottomless pit; and there arose a smoke out of the pit, as the smoke of a great furnace; and the sun and the air were darkened by reason of the smoke of the pit.

3 And there came out of the smoke locusts upon the earth: and unto them was given power, as the scorpions of the earth have power.

4 And it was commanded them that they should not hurt the grass of the earth, neither any green thing, neither any tree; but only those men which have not the seal of God in their foreheads.

5 And to them it was given that they should not kill them, but that they should be tormented five months: and their torment was as the torment of a scorpion, when he striketh a man.

6 And in those days shall men seek death, and shall not find it; and shall desire to die, and death shall flee from them."

Did anyone else get this? This is one of the both weirdest and horrifying things I've read. Does that sound like a Stranger Things moment in Revelation? Is this like an army of demonic bats portrayed in the Upside Down coming out of that pit and tormenting people?
Michael Heiser gets it....

The World Turned Upside Down: Finding the Gospel in ...

"What could the supernatural world of Stranger Things have in common with the Bible?

The paranormal television series Stranger Things taps into the mysterious elements that have fueled spiritual questions for millennia. The otherworldly manifestations in Hawkins, Indiana offer compelling portrayals of important spiritual truths--and many of these truths are echoed in the supernatural worldview of the Bible."

Reactions: Juan777
Upvote 0

Juan777

Jun 20, 2022
Toronto
✟20,153.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Michael Heiser gets it....

The World Turned Upside Down: Finding the Gospel in ...

"What could the supernatural world of Stranger Things have in common with the Bible?

The paranormal television series Stranger Things taps into the mysterious elements that have fueled spiritual questions for millennia. The otherworldly manifestations in Hawkins, Indiana offer compelling portrayals of important spiritual truths--and many of these truths are echoed in the supernatural worldview of the Bible."

Just downloaded a sample of it over Kindle. Looks interesting so far.

It's good to see there is a Christian treatment of this.

Reactions: Paul4JC
Upvote 0

Paul4JC

the Sun of Righteousness will rise with healing
Apr 5, 2020
California
✟164,250.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Just downloaded a sample of it over Kindle. Looks interesting so far.

It's good to see there is a Christian treatment of this.
He wrote it before season 4 came out...

You might enjoy his podcast too. It's called The Naked Bible Podcast. He is very academic and thorough, and for me, at times it's too much, but I keep up on all episodes and have learned much.

Upvote 0

Juan777

Jun 20, 2022
Toronto
✟20,153.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
There are two earthquakes in the Bible that are worth noting.

The first one is the earthquake and darkened skies that happened when Jesus died and purged the sins of the world (to those who believe in Him) and the Veil in the Temple was torn into two pieces. This event sent spiritual shock-waves and the physical manifestation was the Earthquake.

The second one is the great Earthquake in Revelation 16:18 - where there was no earthquake like that before and out of it came voices, lightnings and thunder -- and the Great City was divided into three parts, and the city of the nations fell.

When you look at the above videos, which are excerpts of the earthquake in Hawkins, how that is depicted, then it sounds eerily similar to the great earthquake in Revelation. You are seeing a bunch of fissures come together at a central location and literally dividing a city, you are seeing lightnings and thunder come out of the cracks and into the sky and voices. I'm bedazzled about how these are so parallel. I never imagined cracks coming together, dividing a city, and seeing a shockwave of that blast and these other events on this level before seeing the above two scenes on Stranger Things!

Now I'm starting to worry. Sometimes secular movies are prophecy. Season 5 is next. We know we are in the last days here and Jesus can come any moment. Perhaps Season 5 will take everyone by surprise. I just want to be ready when Jesus returns otherwise, I can tell you, if you are left behind and miss the Rapture, you will not care about Season 5. You will worry about what is coming on the face of this Earth. The devil knows its time is short Rev 12:12 "woe woe woe to the inhabitance of the Earth, and the sea! For the devil has come down upon you with great wrath...."

Upvote 0