✟63,126.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
silk said:
I don't go to church very often but I find when I do I have a very uneasy feeling. It almost brings me to tears. I feel so uncomfortable that I almost feel like I shouldn't be there. Does this ever happen to anyone else? :confused:
Is this something caused by the others who attend? If not, there are a couple of possible reasons for this feeling, but I'm not sure you'll want to hear them.

If this is being caused by the other people (they're just not friendly, or don't welcome you), perhaps you could consider a different church?

Rachel

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟379,648.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
If it's guilt that you feel, then that is what Jesus died to take care of - all the things you did and failed to do that would make you feel guilty. He paid the penalty, and if you become a Christian (believe in Him and what He did, give your life over to Him once and for all, and ask to recieve the Holy Spirit) there will be no reason for the guilt you are feeling now to exist.

Upvote 0
S

spreadlove4alll

silk said:
I don't go to church very often but I find when I do I have a very uneasy feeling. It almost brings me to tears. I feel so uncomfortable that I almost feel like I shouldn't be there. Does this ever happen to anyone else? :confused:
Actually, this could be a good thing. It could be that the tears are actually due to your spirit instinctively knowing that it needs to be sorrowful. This is the first reaction to repenting of any sins. We all need to be sorrowful of our falling short of God's perfection. All you have to do is talk to God about it:prayer: (Anytime/Anyplace). Tell him you are sorry for your sins and would like to be forgiven in Jesus name. ALL OF US NEED TO SAY THIS PRAYER AT ONE TIME OR ANOTHER, ME TOO.

Reactions: talitha
Upvote 0

Deb7777

Oct 6, 2005
✟16,295.00
Faith
Catholic
silk said:
No one in particular has made me feel uncomfortable. I guess I feel guilt. I was born and raised Catholic but I go to church maybe once or twice a year.
Hi Silk, it could be because as Catholics we are called to go to Church every Sunday so maybe when you go once in awhile you feel that guilt of not going the rest of the time. I encourage you to look into any classes to learn the faith better because that is what made the difference for me, learning why we believe what we do. And good, inspiring books keeps feeding our faith and understanding. Its all about Jesus and growing closer to him, read the bible, and as Catholics we beileve we can literally visit Jesus present in the tabernacle in our Churches, nothing like sitting before Jesus in his Eucharistic presence, God bless.

Upvote 0

talitha

Cultivate Honduras
Nov 5, 2004
Tegucigalpa, Honduras
Visit site
✟22,601.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
beautiful post, spreadlove4all......

silk, I thought it was interesting that you said "I almost feel like I shouldn't be there." This sounds to me like the "fear of the Lord."

The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom,
And the knowledge of the Holy One is understanding. (Proverbs 9:10)

In the fear of the LORD there is strong confidence,
And his children will have refuge.
The fear of the LORD is a fountain of life, That one may avoid the snares of death.
(Proverbs 14:26-27)

God bless you
tal

Upvote 0

Robinsegg

SuperMod L's
Site Supporter
Mar 1, 2006
Near the Mississippi
✟63,126.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
silk said:
No one in particular has made me feel uncomfortable. I guess I feel guilt. I was born and raised Catholic but I go to church maybe once or twice a year.
1. Maybe you feel bad for not having gone more frequently?
2. Maybe you have sin you need to repent of and feel guilty for that sin? You notice it more in a "holy" type place.
3. Satan wants you to feel that way, so you won't go.
4. You need to make Jesus your personal savior and lord of your life? When you do this, you would be right with God and not feel this way.
You may need to examine why you haven't been attending. If you only go about once per quarter, why is that? Is it your work schedule, are you busy (if so, with what), do you not like to go, do you sleep instead? You don't have to answer any of that to me, but the answers might help you find out what's going on.

Rachel

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

malganus

Mar 5, 2006
✟230.00
Faith
Other Religion
silk said:
dont worry i get the same feeling but not to tears to be honest churchs feel evil to me in a way

Upvote 0

heron

Legend
Mar 24, 2005
✟33,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hi Silk,
I've known others who react that way too. I think in combination with other things people have said above, that hearing the voices of critical people from the past puts additional condemnation in.

Don't take on what others say about you, because people will always find reason to criticize.

What Jesus said, was "Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest."

Mtt. 11:28

Pretend that you never knew anything about God or church, and you were starting fresh. In your head, you know that God welcomes new people in. Of course He would welcome you.

Upvote 0
Mar 5, 2006
U.S.A.
Visit site
✟15,751.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Hey Silk,
Ok everyone step aside for a sec and let an atheist give some advice.
This is one of the many reasons I stoped going to church. You shouldn't do something that makes you feel uncomfortable, if this means you don't feel relaxed in a church don't go. If your looking for god then by all means IF it makes you a better person then go to him. But until you find a place that your comfortable in your always be in unrest.

Upvote 0

heron

Legend
Mar 24, 2005
✟33,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I would start by looking for a local mixed-denominational Christian newsletter that announces speakers and concerts in your area. Go to some of those. You'd be surprised how many interesting things are going on during a normal week.

Some services are so quiet and restrained, that everyone's afraid to move. Special events aren't like that.

Upvote 0

Davis

Veteran
Jul 23, 2005
Gowanda, NY
✟10,033.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
americanhardcoreatheist said:
Hey Silk,
Ok everyone step aside for a sec and let an atheist give some advice.
This is one of the many reasons I stoped going to church. You shouldn't do something that makes you feel uncomfortable, if this means you don't feel relaxed in a church don't go. If your looking for god then by all means IF it makes you a better person then go to him. But until you find a place that your comfortable in your always be in unrest.

I think this is horrible advice as well. You don't run from things in life. You tackle the issues.
I believe God is calling this person to Him. The uncomfortable feeling is because this person has sinned and is feeling the guilt that we have all felt.
Open your heart to Him.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Adalia

Nov 21, 2004
Louisiana
✟7,685.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I went to church two weeks ago (the Sunday after Ash Wednesday) with my sister in law. This was the first time I went to this church. The priest was basically dogging the members out b/c so many people came to church on Ash Wednesday but not on the Thursday following for the Stations of the Cross or for the Friday or Saturday masses. (I'm not too familiar with the Catholic church's policy on the masses following Ash Wed. b/c I haven't been to church that often since I was a kid) Anyways, the priest made me feel extremely uncomfortable this time. The priest could have been having a bad day... I could have taken it the wrong way. I'm not sure. Either way... it doesn't make me feel anymore comfortable going to church.

Note: I understand the priests point about the members not going to church on the days that follow Ash Wed., but I think his tactic was all wrong. Priests are supposed to be loving and understanding. I felt offended.

Upvote 0

Davis

Veteran
Jul 23, 2005
Gowanda, NY
✟10,033.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
silk said:
I went to church two weeks ago (the Sunday after Ash Wednesday) with my sister in law. This was the first time I went to this church. The priest was basically dogging the members out b/c so many people came to church on Ash Wednesday but not on the Thursday following for the Stations of the Cross or for the Friday or Saturday masses. (I'm not too familiar with the Catholic church's policy on the masses following Ash Wed. b/c I haven't been to church that often since I was a kid) Anyways, the priest made me feel extremely uncomfortable this time. The priest could have been having a bad day... I could have taken it the wrong way. I'm not sure. Either way... it doesn't make me feel anymore comfortable going to church.

Note: I understand the priests point about the members not going to church on the days that follow Ash Wed., but I think his tactic was all wrong. Priests are supposed to be loving and understanding. I felt offended.
The priest should not be acting this way.
I suggest try a non catholic church. Not saying all catholic priests are this way but I know a lot of protestant pastors are very loving and accepting of new people. From my own experience. I love my Free Methodist Church.

Upvote 0

ChasingADream

Contributor
Sep 7, 2005
Niagara Falls, Ontario
✟22,349.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
silk said:

You are not alone. I used to feel that way too! Once I started going regularly and got more involved that feeling completely went away.

Pm me if you want to talk. I can totally relate. :hug:

Upvote 0

ChasingADream

Contributor
Sep 7, 2005
Niagara Falls, Ontario
✟22,349.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Davis said:
The priest should not be acting this way.
I suggest try a non catholic church. Not saying all catholic priests are this way but I know a lot of protestant pastors are very loving and accepting of new people. From my own experience. I love my Free Methodist Church.

I agree with Davis. You seem to have had a bad experience. That would never have happened at my church. Maybe you should look around. Don't give up!

Upvote 0

Davis

Veteran
Jul 23, 2005
Gowanda, NY
✟10,033.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
ChasingADream said:
I agree with Davis. You seem to have had a bad experience. That would never have happened at my church. Maybe you should look around. Don't give up!
Exactly. I'm not saying you have to go to a Free Methodist Church either. Try a Luthern, Baptist, Weslyan, Anglican.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.