• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.

[STR]Poll on whether to open up discussion of homosexuality and gay marriage

Discussion in 'Scripture,Tradition,Reason-Anglican & Old Catholic' started by Tallguy88, Sep 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tallguy88

Tallguy88 We shall see the King when he comes! Supporter

+7,649
    United States
    Catholic
    Single
    "STR" Member Poll
    Opening up Discussion of Homosexuality and Same Sex Marriage

In keeping with the recent updates to the Christian Forums rule regarding marriage and homosexuality (announcement), this poll is to determine what the members of the Anglican & Old Catholic forum would like to do. Voting will be open for two weeks (14 days). At that time, votes will be tallied and the majority decision (2/3 majority, 67%) shall be implemented. This poll is only open to members who self-identify as Anglican/Episcopalian or Old Catholic/Utrect, though you don't necessarily have to have such listed as your faith on CF. Please be honest and do not misrepresent your faith to vote in a forum that is not your home forum. IP checks will be performed on any member suspected of being a sock account of another member. Any tomfoolery will result in action against that poster and their vote being nullified. Here are the voting guidelines in more detail:
    • Only active members of this forum may vote. A specific faith icon is not required, however, you must be a known member of this forum.
    • Members are required to have been active at CF for at least three months and have at least 200 substantial posts.
    • Votes are public, not confidential. This way the community can help police the results of the poll by contacting staff when they believe that a non-forum member has voted.
    • Staff reserves the right to perform IP checks on questionable members.
    • No other discussion is allowed in the poll thread.

There are two options for the poll:

YES: A yes vote means that there would be open discussion of the topics of homosexuality and same sex marriage, in accordance with a few specific guidelines.
    NO: A no vote means that discussion of homosexuality and same sex marriage is allowed, but there is no promotion* of these topics.

*Promotion is defined as encouragement of the progress, growth, or acceptance of something including advertising and publicity.

Guidelines for forums with open discussion:
    • All posts must align with the sitewide rules, especially the rule about profanity and vulgarity (no discussions or images that are sexually explicit).
    • Members may not make posts which could be considered blatant campaigning for the acceptance of homosexuality or SSM.
    • Members may not distribute any blatant propaganda about homosexuality or SSM [propaganda: information of a biased or misleading nature used to promote or publicize a particular point of view].
    • Members may not encourage another member to practice homosexuality or enter into a same sex marriage.

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. graceandpeace

graceandpeace Episcopalian

+555
    Anglican
    Private
    US-Democrat
    (Never mind, I missed the last point about no discussion. Sorry, maybe someone can delete this?)

3. Tallguy88

+7,649
    United States
    Catholic
    Single
    Don't worry about it

4. seeking.IAM

seeking.IAM Episcopalian Supporter

+2,259
    Anglican
    Married
    I abstain. Both choices are for discussion with different limitations. That's not much of a choice. I'd like to see options such as:
    No discussion -- I am sick and tired of this subject.
    No discussion -- Let's have straight people talk about what might be THEIR own sins.

5. Tallguy88

+7,649
    United States
    Catholic
    Single
    The No vote is the status quo. So if you are happy with how things currently are in STR, you might consider voting No.

6. Albion

Albion Facilitator

+23,787
    Anglican
    Married
    IMHO, he did answer. If a two-thirds "yes" vote is required in order to make the change, it's important to record anyone who said that he couldn't or wouldn't cast a vote, given the choices presented by the poll, as "not yes" votes.

7. Yardstick

Yardstick Episcopalian

+54
    Anglican
    Married
    I have voted yes because either the discussion should be fair (meaning each side can advocate for their own position) or it shouldn't be discussed at all.

8. gordonhooker

gordonhooker Franciscan tssf Supporter

+1,040
    Anglican
    Married
    I got a headache reading the rules.

9. SilverAvenger

SilverAvenger Old-Catholic and Jewish Interfaith Minister

+35
    Celtic Catholic
    Single
    You and me both....

10. fromtheAsh

fromtheAsh That one girl from that one website.

+277
    Anglican
    Engaged
    I'm Anglican, but didn't see the rules! sorry, you can remove my vote.

11. Tallguy88

+7,649
    United States
    Catholic
    Single
    You appear to meet the requirements to vote.

12. fromtheAsh

fromtheAsh That one girl from that one website.

+277
    Anglican
    Engaged
    Oh okay, I thought it meant active as in this specific subforum.

13. Unix

Unix Hebr incl Sirach&epigraph, Hermeneut,Ptolemy,Samar Supporter

+69
    Anglican
    Single
    I was just about to vote no and the pol closed 7 minutes ago.

EDIT3 by Unix: just re-read this:
    • No other discussion is allowed in the poll thread.
    EDIT4: just to point out: the poll here in the Anglican subforum closed much sooner than in several of the other subforums.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2015
  14. SteveCaruso

SteveCaruso Translator

+544
    Anglican
    Married
    It appears that the "yea"s have it.

15. Tallguy88

+7,649
    United States
    Catholic
    Single
    Final count after discounting ineligible votes is 6 yes, 2 no. This forum will allow full discussion of homosexuality and SSM.

Closing and sticking this thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.