• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Story of God's faithfulness for those who struggle against "unwanted thoughts"

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaykay637

Hi, everybody! Have a blessed day!
Jan 23, 2008
Dallas, Texas
✟12,628.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
While I don't recommend trying this at home, :D I felt the Lord would have me share this story on here about one of my former pastors. I think it puts some perspective on some of the OCD which revolves around "accidentally blaspheming" and accidentally "renouncing Christ." "Need to cancel thoughts" etc.

Again this is a true story about a former pastor we had. He and his wife lost a baby daughter. She was stillborn. He became very angry at God as a result of this. (He was already a pastor at this time.) He said he would go out in his backyard and shake his fist at God and say to God whatever angry things he could think of to God. He said one specific thing he would say was something like this, "God, why don't you just strike me down and take me to hell right now? Because there's one thing I know I'm gonna like about hell---YOU won't be there!!!

Whoa! That's pretty potent to say to God, no?! Anyway, he said it aggravated him at the time even more, but he felt like God just said back to him in his spirit something like, "Son, you're going to be alright."

Anyway, he got out of the pastorate (obviously!) and went into sales. He had a great personality and was wonderful at it. He was very successful and made tons of money, but within about year if I recall correctly, he had an emotional/nervous breakdown. Fact was, he found he just couldn't live without God after knowing Him. He hit total bottom and was committed to a psychiatric hospital. He repented and admitted to God that he needed him, in fact, had to have Him.

God graciously restored him, even restored him to ministry. And, his wife became pregnant again and gave birth to twins.

Today this man has been in the ministry many years. He is a wonderful preacher and one of the most insightful, sensitive counselors there is around. (I think as a result of this experience.)

Just wanted to share this story with you guys because I think it so obviously illustrates God's love, faithfulness and knowledge of our hearts.

God bless and may you realize God's love and faithfulness to you too today.

OptimisticSmile

Mar 26, 2006
Pensacola, Florida
Visit site
✟15,552.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
that was beautiful. God knows who will suffer, in what ways , and in how they will respond in the suffering. Indeed his word is true when he says he chastenes those he loves. I dont think its a punishing type chastening but a teaching chastening. My OCD struggle, (chastening), occured at a time that I was living for the Lord more than ever. He fogives us knowing the response we will give him in his time of chastening. He knows mans natural tendency to shake our fists at him but yet he looks past it to see his humbled people finding a cradle in his arms. I have no doubt that his response to this pastor was one of comforting softness.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.