Florida
✟117,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
For a long time AOL Mail had a feature that automatically put all spam (which I set to anyone I did not add to my address book) to a spam folder. Not anymore - now some spam mail goes to my New Mail folder and I can't do anything about it. Also the amount of mail in my spam folder skyrocketed last year at the same time some of them fell through the cracks into my New Mail.

I don't know what caused this, but have an idea: open a spam email to unsubscribe. Because I have been able to do this before, I should be able to do it with any email address, right? Would it work for companies that use multiple email addresses?

The only reason I still use AOL Mail is Google has a terrible privacy policy. They spy on account holders for marketing purposes and admit it.

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟952,359.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Usually hitting "Not spam" on your misdirected "good" mail and hitting "Spam" on your misdirected spam should begin to re-teach the system which is which. It sounds like the internal list got erased somewhere along the lines.

I have had mixed results with "unsubscribe." It seems to work with companies that I have registered for, but makes it worse for those that I did not.

I have multiple email addresses for different purposes,
  • one for family & friends contact,
  • one for finances &
  • one for contests and other spam-inducing pursuits.
The first gets very little spam. The second gets somewhat useful spam. The third gets "anything goes" kind of spam. (I whitelist the latter, throwing everything else away. ;))

Upvote 0

Tone

"Whenever Thou humblest me, Thou makest me great."
Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
For a long time AOL Mail had a feature that automatically put all spam (which I set to anyone I did not add to my address book) to a spam folder. Not anymore - now some spam mail goes to my New Mail folder and I can't do anything about it. Also the amount of mail in my spam folder skyrocketed last year at the same time some of them fell through the cracks into my New Mail.

I don't know what caused this, but have an idea: open a spam email to unsubscribe. Because I have been able to do this before, I should be able to do it with any email address, right? Would it work for companies that use multiple email addresses?

The only reason I still use AOL Mail is Google has a terrible privacy policy. They spy on account holders for marketing purposes and admit it.

Maybe go e-homeless...

Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,364.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
The only reason I still use AOL Mail is Google has a terrible privacy policy.
I would recheck aol's privacy policy. They are now owned by Verizon, whose privacy, from what I've seen, is terrible. Yahoo is in the same V. boat. There are other alternatives to gmail, which you can find via a search.

There should be a "spam" function for marking mail, which will train the system.

Upvote 0

nonaeroterraqueous

Nonexistent Member
Aug 16, 2014
✟188,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I use Thunderbird as my email client, and it does a pretty good job of sorting out the spam. You can access AOL mail through an email client, also (I recommend IMAP), which means that you can bring your own spam filter into play, and not have to rely on the server's spam filter.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟377,931.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
That's what SpamAssassin, a free and popular spam filter that many servers employ, does by default to messages it flags as spam, it adds that to the beginning of the subject line. Barracuda does something similar, it uses brackets instead, like: [SPAM].
It makes client-side filtering really easy.

• Informative
Reactions: Petros2015
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums