• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Stopping chemo

wife2jeff

Aug 31, 2019
Oregon
✟18,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
July of 2019 my husband was diagnosed with stage 3 colon cancer, had surgery and is now doing chemo. He just completed his 5th treatment of 12, half way there. I am really scared that he will stop chemo due to the side effects. He is miserable, with this one being the worst. My husband is not a Christ follower which makes it even more difficult. I pray for him constantly. I keep encouraging him to keep up with the chemo but all he says is that he can go through all of this and it could still come back and when he's feeling horrible he says that he has other health issues so what does it matter. It does matter I tell him because his other medical issues are under control he is not dying from them. I am so worried he will stop chemo even though I hate seeing him so miserable and uncomfortable, what do I say or do? I feel I don't know how to react other than just keep praying.

Brightmoon

Apes and humans are all in family Hominidae.
Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I know chemo makes some people miserable. They’re starting to use the same techniques on cancer cells as they do with antibiotics and bacteria- Not letting the cancer cells become resistant to the chemo like bacteria become resistant to the antibiotics . I wish I could tell you something to make you feel better :(

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,030.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
July of 2019 my husband was diagnosed with stage 3 colon cancer, had surgery and is now doing chemo. He just completed his 5th treatment of 12, half way there. I am really scared that he will stop chemo due to the side effects. He is miserable, with this one being the worst. My husband is not a Christ follower which makes it even more difficult. I pray for him constantly. I keep encouraging him to keep up with the chemo but all he says is that he can go through all of this and it could still come back and when he's feeling horrible he says that he has other health issues so what does it matter. It does matter I tell him because his other medical issues are under control he is not dying from them. I am so worried he will stop chemo even though I hate seeing him so miserable and uncomfortable, what do I say or do? I feel I don't know how to react other than just keep praying.
Maybe you do already, but if not, you need to bind the evil spirit of death and the evil spirit of self-pity attacking your husband. And yes, praying is going to help more than words in this case.

Upvote 0

jacks

Er Victus
Supporter
Jun 29, 2010
Northwest US
✟665,482.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Sorry to hear about your husband and chemo. It is a very unpleasant experience and it is easy to get discourage. (Both for the patient and the care giver.) Have you tried just Googling something like "how to help someone going through chemo"? There are many good suggestions by people who have gone through it. HERE is one, as an example. There are also many good sites about being a caregiver, it is a tough thing to do. Praying for both of you.

• Winner
Reactions: nChrist
Upvote 0

Hank77

Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,099,038.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Have you joined a support group for caregivers? Ask about it wherever he is being treated. You deserve to receive help, too, and when you are supported it will help your husband as well.
May God bless both of you and give you strength to fight this.

Reactions: nChrist
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Thankfully you are in Oregon (or so it appears).
There are medical / trained/ professionals there, if you can find them, who know what to do to help alleviate the side effects greatly. I met people the last five years plus, or so, in Oklahoma who were moving/ going to Oregon for this purpose, in part.

Upvote 0

wife2jeff

Aug 31, 2019
Oregon
✟18,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yes we are in Oregon and use an OHSU physician. His oncologist is excellent but even with the combination of nausea meds he still has some nausea. The only nausea med he is currently not doing is the iv dexamethasone (it's a steroid commonly used for this), or the tabs to take the first 3 days after chemo, he has terrible side effects from this medication.
I think what discourages him with chemo as well is the adjusting to the lack of colon, he has some pretty bad days with this.

• Prayers
Reactions: jacks
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
One woman took 3 grams of &vit& c every day during chemo. She had no side effects at all. That's why she took the c, though I don't know how she found out - the doctors knew she was taking it, but did not think it would help. It did help, as usual. There's many things they do not think will help. We have to find out ourselves. Then tell them so they know what we are doing. This way they don't get upset.(well, they might, but not as often) .

Upvote 0

SANTOSO

Jul 15, 2020
Jakarta
✟236,770.00
Country
Indonesia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Even if your husband is not a believer, I believe you can pray on his behalf.

Just pray a short prayer:
Lord Jesus,
I pray on behalf of my husband.
I bless You, Lord for You daily bears our burdens.
You are God of salvation.
To You, the Lord, belong deliverances from death.
I trust you. Amen

Reactions: jacks
Upvote 0