Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
I am supposed to go back to my job as an EMT on Monday after being in self quarantine for the last two weeks due to likely exposure to covid-19. I am scared to go back due to my moderate to severe asthma.

If I were to contract this illness in full, it would likely put me in the hospital in the ICU because of my asthma. With being an EMT, I am at high risk of coming into contact with it again. I didn't get it last time, but I may not be so lucky the next time.

I was looking through the FAQs of my states unemployment and it says that you can leave a job voluntarily, but it has to be through no fault of your own. I would think that my asthma which isn't my fault and covid-19 which isn't my fault would qualify me, as through no fault, but I just don't know. I would have to quit and file to know for sure.

There is also this from the federal government, bolding is mine:

COVID-19 (Coronavirus) update: The federal government is allowing new options for states to amend their laws to provide unemployment insurance benefits related to COVID-19. For example, federal law allows states to pay benefits where:

• An employer temporarily ceases operations due to COVID-19, preventing employees from coming to work;
  • An individual is quarantined with the expectation of returning to work after the quarantine is over; and
  • An individual leaves employment due to a risk of exposure or infection or to care for a family member.
So there is that as well.

I just don't know what to do. I have a hearing in May (which might get delayed as courts are shut down except for criminal type stuff) regarding upping my child support. I don't know if a judge would have sympathy because of the situation look at it as I am trying to not have to pay so much by becoming unemployed. I have faithfully paid child support for a number of years at this point, there has never been an issue where I tried to get out of it, to the point where I could have, but when asked if I would provide $25 more, I doubled that and went $50 more.

Really wish this decision was an easy one, but it has been keeping me up at night and now causing me to feel sick.

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟774,354.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Prayers for you. Side note, where we both live the Unemployment website is a mess. It took me days to get into it and kept kicking me out when partially done....only to have to start again. Benefits take weeks to start paying out, if you are approved. So even if you went and filled out the paperwork online today it could be around the end of the month before you see the money. They are tens out thousands of people behind schedule processing, which could help them just push the paperwork through, but will also delay everything. Have you thought about a job that is similar but maybe not so exposed in the field? Maybe a emergency room tech? At least there you might have better protection supplied?

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟774,354.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The whole point of me getting out of being an EMT would be to get me out of a high risk field. Being in an emergency room would be even worse to me.
OK, it was just a suggestion based on your training. In that case all I can do is pray that God leads you the correct path. I am not sure what other fields the EMT training transfers to that are still hiring right now.

Upvote 0

Isilwen

Oct 13, 2019
Florida
✟161,599.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
OK, it was just a suggestion based on your training. In that case all I can do is pray that God leads you the correct path. I am not sure what other fields the EMT training transfers to that are still hiring right now.

Unfortunately, not much of anything.

I have applied to a chiropractor assistant job that doesn't require experience and a computer repair apprentice job, again no experience, but at least with the computer repair I have some self taught experience with repairing and building computers.

I am basically trying to get out of the medical field where I would have more possible contact with the virus. What I would really love is a work from home position.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I am supposed to go back to my job as an EMT on Monday after being in self quarantine for the last two weeks due to likely exposure to covid-19. I am scared to go back due to my moderate to severe asthma.

If I were to contract this illness in full, it would likely put me in the hospital in the ICU because of my asthma. With being an EMT, I am at high risk of coming into contact with it again. I didn't get it last time, but I may not be so lucky the next time.

I was looking through the FAQs of my states unemployment and it says that you can leave a job voluntarily, but it has to be through no fault of your own. I would think that my asthma which isn't my fault and covid-19 which isn't my fault would qualify me, as through no fault, but I just don't know. I would have to quit and file to know for sure.

COVID-19 (Coronavirus) update: The federal government is allowing new options for states to amend their laws to provide unemployment insurance benefits related to COVID-19. For example, federal law allows states to pay benefits where:

• An employer temporarily ceases operations due to COVID-19, preventing employees from coming to work;
  • An individual is quarantined with the expectation of returning to work after the quarantine is over; and
  • An individual leaves employment due to a risk of exposure or infection or to care for a family member.

I just don't know what to do. I have a hearing in May (which might get delayed as courts are shut down except for criminal type stuff) regarding upping my child support. I don't know if a judge would have sympathy because of the situation look at it as I am trying to not have to pay so much by becoming unemployed. I have faithfully paid child support for a number of years at this point, there has never been an issue where I tried to get out of it, to the point where I could have, but when asked if I would provide $25 more, I doubled that and went $50 more.

Really wish this decision was an easy one, but it has been keeping me up at night and now causing me to feel sick.
It sounds like the administrator(s) who determine eligibility could rule either way on an application from you, and it also looks as though the federal guidelines permit some flexibility from state to state.

The only way to get beyond that uncertainty might be for you to speak with someone who has been in exactly your situation, has filed for benefits, and been either approved or refused (or a lawyer who represented the same).

Upvote 0

Isilwen

Oct 13, 2019
Florida
✟161,599.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
It sounds like the administrator(s) who determine eligibility could rule either way on an application from you, and it also looks as though the federal guidelines permit some flexibility from state to state.

The only way to get beyond that uncertainty might be for you to speak with someone who has been in exactly your situation, has filed for benefits, and been either approved or refused (or a lawyer who represented the same).

I was thinking that, but don't know anyone like that. My partner, who has an underlying condition has put making money over his and other's own health. Instead of going out on quarantine he is still at work.

I am not like that.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟718,332.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Perhaps talk with your doctor and see what he recommends ... if he says not a good idea then have him write a statement saying so and give it to your employer and anyone else that thinks contrary

Upvote 0

Isilwen

Oct 13, 2019
Florida
✟161,599.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
Perhaps talk with your doctor and see what he recommends ... if he says not a good idea then have him write a statement saying so and give it to your employer and anyone else that thinks contrary

Good idea. Just hope it's enough.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟718,332.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Have you not been watching the news? Lol

well ... I suspect your doctor will write you an "excuse" .... if your employer and/or any other authority doesn't accept that ... I'd say you have a pretty good law suit.

This is a virus that is respiratory ... people with Asthma are at a higher risk ... no doubt ... this is a no brainer ... but get it in writing from your doctor.

If your doctor writes an "excuse" and it is refused by anyone ... then have them (whoever does not accept the doctors note) put it in writing and have them sign it (whoever) (i.e. them acknowledging you made them aware of the doctors recommendations) ... that is "whoever" is forcing you not to follow your doctor's recommendation(s).

When you put things in writing .... you'd be amazed how more "cooperative" people will be. ;o)

Upvote 0

Richard T

Mar 25, 2018
traveling Asia
✟69,525.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I would not expect unemployment if you quit. Many states will not be that flexible to allow you to quit and then draw unemployment. It seems to me that your faith is going to be tested no matter what you choose. To continue as EMT, has its potential issues, while quitting may have implications on your finances. I pray you get the wisdom and guidance from God that allows you to make the best decision. Also that you can get to the place of greater faith in your decision, that God will provide a source of income or fully protect you from the virus if you continue as an EMT. I hope too that you are looking at all options like more schooling, or even ministry if the Lord is calling you that way.

Upvote 0

Isilwen

Oct 13, 2019
Florida
✟161,599.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
I would not expect unemployment if you quit. Many states will not be that flexible to allow you to quit and then draw unemployment. It seems to me that your faith is going to be tested no matter what you choose. To continue as EMT, has its potential issues, while quitting may have implications on your finances. I pray you get the wisdom and guidance from God that allows you to make the best decision. Also that you can get to the place of greater faith in your decision, that God will provide a source of income or fully protect you from the virus if you continue as an EMT. I hope too that you are looking at all options like more schooling, or even ministry if the Lord is calling you that way.

Thank you!

My girlfriend and I have thought about doing real estate, but cannot seem to find a reputable online real estate school to go to.

I have never felt the pull to ministry and I am okay with that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Isilwen

Oct 13, 2019
Florida
✟161,599.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
I wouldn't mind doing computer repair either, but that requires a degree anymore unless I can get a call back from when I sent a resume in on Saturday from a computer repair apprentice position. It didn't require experience, but I am self taught on building and repairing computers.

Upvote 0