Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I would pray and ask the Lord's guidance. A name is a powerful thing, and a saint's intercession is very personal. And sometimes we go with what we're born into. My mom gave me the saint of Joseph the Betrothed as my saint. I am very devoted to St. Paul, but I stay true to my mom's gift to me---Joseph. So, he is my patron saint, and I can only hope to live up to 1/1000000 of his parental abilities with my kids and 1/1000000 of his love for the Theotokos and the Lord!

If you are a soldier, St. George or St. Minas might apply. If you want your emphasis on vice, perhaps St. Augustine would be in order? But we here at TAW can't tell you whom to choose. It's very much between you and the Lord. Pray hard! Read Scripture and the lives of the saints and see what God tells you.

Upvote 0

Moses Medina

Layman
Sep 10, 2012
North Carolina
Visit site
✟45,257.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I would pray and ask the Lord's guidance. A name is a powerful thing, and a saint's intercession is very personal. And sometimes we go with what we're born into. My mom gave me the saint of Joseph the Betrothed as my saint. I am very devoted to St. Paul, but I stay true to my mom's gift to me---Joseph. So, he is my patron saint, and I can only hope to live up to 1/1000000 of his parental abilities with my kids and 1/1000000 of his love for the Theotokos and the Lord!

If you are a soldier, St. George or St. Minas might apply. If you want your emphasis on vice, perhaps St. Augustine would be in order? But we here at TAW can't tell you whom to choose. It's very much between you and the Lord. Pray hard! Read Scripture and the lives of the saints and see what God tells you.

Gurney! Changed the pic again I see. And yeah I totally get that. I wanted to look into the names recommended here and see. So I shall look into the ones you mentioned. I will whole heartedly take your advice and thank you for the suggestions good sir!

Also I wasnt given a saint name as my mother was very protestant, not sure if King Darius from the OT is a saint. I meed to brush up on what scripture says of him.

Upvote 0

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,288,670.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I didn't take a new name when I was Received and Chrismated - I kept my Baptismal name, which was the name [ or the Ukrainian version of it ;) ] with which I had been Communed as an EC.

My Priest has an interesting story about his - he was Confirmed as an RC and the name he chose then , was not the one with which he was Received into Orthodoxy, but when he was Tonsured on Athos he was not told/consulted by the Abbot about his name in Religious life , and had a real shock when he heard his name and realised it was his RC Confirmation name. :D He'd never told the Abbot this name.
He does appreciate the link with his past life , as he said - Catholicism had taught him a lot and set his foot on the path

Upvote 0

Moses Medina

Layman
Sep 10, 2012
North Carolina
Visit site
✟45,257.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Ill be praying about it but Saint Dasius and Saint Moses the Ethiopian are the ones I feel closest to.

Quick question, besides Monestary Icons what other websites should I not shop from? Theres a website St Irene, the Great Martyr – Damascene Gallery

I wanted to get this for my wife but im not sure if they are authentic.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ArmyMatt

Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,456,009.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Ill be praying about it but Saint Dasius and Saint Moses the Ethiopian are the ones I feel closest to.

Quick question, besides Monestary Icons what other websites should I not shop from? Theres a website St Irene, the Great Martyr – Damascene Gallery

I wanted to get this for my wife but im not sure if they are authentic.

most parishes I have seen have icons for sale. so I would say start there (plus, you'll be helping your parish).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,069.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Never! If I like a print I see, I go find the painted edition. No missing out, baby! No missing out, baby! I'm busting, baby! I'm busting!

that's why ye be missing out

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,456,009.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Never! If I like a print I see, I go find the painted edition. No missing out, baby! No missing out, baby! I'm busting, baby! I'm busting!

the Hawaiian Iveron icon is a print, and gushes myrrh....

Upvote 0