Florida
✟117,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Daisy was my fourth cat and not my favorite, but more than once a day I tear up or sob - even if I am not bored. I never came close to crying every day after my first three cats passed away and it has now been more than two weeks. Daisy was put to sleep on April 18 because she had end stage chronic kidney failure, which is rare in 3-year old cats. She had the symptoms I was told to look for in her final days.

One difference is COVID-19. I had always "wanted" Daisy to be put to sleep at home instead of the veterinary hospital because appointments were traumatic for her; she emptied her bladder and/or rectum sometimes in response to the stress. But the coronavirus forced me to take her, then sit in the car to avoid crying with a mask on. The last time I saw her she was in the hated carrier, being taken away by a veterinary technician. Now I have nothing to do without a cat or any way to know when I can adopt another, which totally depends on when the shutdown ends in Florida.

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟314,303.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Sorry to hear about your cat. We've done this so many times and it's never easy, they become family members basically. At the same time we are never catless, we usually have at least two hanging out here. Our Simon has a kidney issue but the urinary tract food so far seems to be keeping it in check. Always worth while with male cats anyway. And ya he was also only 3 when he had his attacks. He's 5 now and weighs the better part of 20lb I might add !!

Get back on the horse is all I can suggest, get a nice healthy tabby or tiger marked American Short Hair, they're usually pretty hearty. And first sign of any kidney trouble get them on a urinary diet. These boys like the Purina Pro Plan urinary foods for their canned food. But we spend quite a lot for a prescription formula dried food for them, they're both on it. Better to pay up front than vet bills !!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I always wanted a tortoiseshell (tortie for short) and will try again next time.

You are thinking of the Kidney Care diet, which is not the "urinary diet" for male cats with bladder stones. I fed Daisy the Hill's k/d throughout her last five months, but it did not help her. I guess some cats never respond to it, just like not all medications help every patient.

Upvote 0

TLSITD

Conservative Christian
Apr 26, 2020
Tennessee
✟15,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I sympathize and empathize with your loss. I had to have my beloved cat put down last year, and I mourned deeply for him. He was (at least) 18 years old, though, and dying of kidney failure---blind, incontinent, no longer eating, and obviously suffering and in distress that I couldn't console.

It was definitely the right decision, and I was there with him when they put him down, but I still grieved deeply, even though I had peace and relief about ending his suffering.

He was, besides Jesus Christ, the closest thing I had to a friend; someone to love and to be loved by, even though he wasn't a particularly affectionate cat, and had a mischievous streak.

I miss him, but he lived a full life and was very well loved and affectionated. And I consider the time I had with him a blessing.

I look forward to having another animal companion someday in the not too distant future, God willing.

You might benefit from adopting another pet when you're able, to help your heart to heal from the loss of your cat.

In the meantime, even getting a plant might help some---just to have a living thing to care for.

Reactions: Dave G.
Upvote 0

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟314,303.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I always wanted a tortoiseshell (tortie for short) and will try again next time.

You are thinking of the Kidney Care diet, which is not the "urinary diet" for male cats with bladder stones. I fed Daisy the Hill's k/d throughout her last five months, but it did not help her. I guess some cats never respond to it, just like not all medications help every patient.
Ya, the boys are getting Royal Canin Kidney care SO calming. They love it, then the treat of the day is just a bit of the Pro Plan Urinary canned food.

Torties are nice, we had one that visited with us up in the camps we go to in Maine when we travel up that way in the summers, but she finally pooped out after a long life there ! She had a personality and a half. I don't know if they're all like that but she was.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Consolation

May 2, 2020
Tasmania
✟8,742.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi ChristianForCats,

Sorry to hear about your loss of Daisy the cat. I’m still missing my cat from Sydney 20 yrs ago. Will pray for you also.

Blessings in Difficult Times..…Consolation
“The sun looks down on nothing half so good as a household laughing together over a meal.”
— C.S. Lewis “The Weight of Glory” (1949)

Upvote 0

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟314,303.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
We got our two boys ( brothers) on a suggestion from our vet/animal hospital who recommended a woman just over the bridge from where we live who had a litter she was dispersing. I think the boys were ten weeks old when we got them.

You can acquire a kitten or two and still pray for covid victims lol !! Don't feel guilty, you didn't cause covid 19 and it's probably here to stay along with some totalitarian rules that came along with it.

Upvote 0

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
There likely are some low risk people out there that have a cat or kittens that need a good home. I would not let COVID fears take that part of life away too though I would be far more careful.

For me it is not fear, but the requirement to wear a mask at the veterinary hospital until Florida's "stay at home" executive order is lifted, preventing me from adopting a kitten as soon as I will be ready to do it. I don't want to appear selfish, but never wearing a mask is my top priority when choosing when to adopt a kitten.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Lyrasong

Oct 3, 2012
✟16,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I’m so sorry for your loss. Being a ‘cat person,’ I completely understand. They are always our babies.

I miss all of the kitties I’ve had through the years, but it’s been especially hard with the loss of Silver, who we had to put to sleep a few years ago. Like your Daisy, he was terrified of the vet’s office. Just before he was put to sleep, my daughter and I were trying to calm him, telling him that we loved him and it would be okay. He relaxed a little. Then, the vet put in the needle, and he stiffened from the jab. I felt that I had betrayed him and it broke my heart. Even now, I think that maybe I should have let him die at home.

But we try to make the best choices we can for our pets, which is exactly what you did. I believe that they will be in heaven with us one day. The Lord spoke of going to to prepare a place for us. Well, there should be plenty of room for our fur babies!

Just try to envision your Daisy in that beautiful place ... where she is safe and content. And talk to God about her and your feelings. I envision my departed pets being cared for by family members who have passed over, which really helps.

Upvote 0

Richard T

Mar 25, 2018
traveling Asia
✟61,346.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I will tell you what helped me when I lost my last cat. I put all her things I had on the table, I prayed and cried and then I danced before the Lord. Yes, dance around the room, thanking God for the opportunity and gift that he brought. Put the cat to rest in your mind, that she is in God's hands, reach back with faith and give the sacrifice of praise to your God. It may not be cheerful but it is an act of faith that will help one through a tough situation. (I would suggest doing this alone, as only God is likely to understand). God bless.

Reactions: timothyu
Upvote 0