JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
There are some things I try to shake off and walk away from. But when it comes to Stephen Hawkings, there is something about him that people just can not seem to shake it off of them.

There is no question that Hawking's is a brillant man. The question then is, did he use what God gave him to honor or glorify God or not? Most people I believe would say that Hawking's does nothing to honor God.

Proverbs 23:7
For as he thinks in his heart, so is he.
"Eat and drink!" he says to you,
But his heart is not with you.

The Bible clearly says that "as a man thinketh in his heart, so is he". No one objects to Hawking's thinking. Nor do they think his ourward appearance has any connection to his thinking. But that is not what the Bible says: "as a man thinketh in his heart, so is he".

Proverbs 23:6-8
Do not eat the bread of a selfish man,
Or desire his delicacies;
[7] For as he thinks within himself, so he is.
He says to you, "Eat and drink!"
But his heart is not with you.
[8] You will vomit up the morsel you have eaten,
And waste your compliments.

I suggest here that the outward appearance is a reflection of the man. The thoughts, the intents, the charactor, the attitude.

Ok, lets break it down:

What do the letters ALS stand for?

ALS stands for Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis. Like many medical terms it comes from Greek words.

A—without
Myo—muscle
Trophic—nourishment
Lateral—side (of the spinal cord)
Sclerosis—hardening or scarring

http://www.lougehrigsdisease.net/als_what_is_als.htm#What is ALS?

I had a friend at church who recently died from this disease. First you see in the definition that it means to to without nurishment. That is the conditon to many people are in who go without God as a part of their life. They do not allow God to nurish them with His goodness. His life, His health, His healing, His Wisdom, Knowledge and Understanding.

Then you see Sclerosis, or the hardening of the attitude. They harden themselves against God. They will not allow Him to do a work in their life.

Well, ok, I pretty well know in advance what sort of a reaction I am going to get out of this one. That is why I tried to get away from it, but I could not, so there you have it.

Ezekiel 33:7
"Now as for you, son of man, I have appointed you a watchman for the house of Israel; so you will hear a message from My mouth, and give them warning from Me.

There was a man in the Bible who thought he could take his comfort and ease. But it did not work out that way. God has other plans for him.

Luke 12:19-21
And I will say to my soul, "Soul, you have many goods laid up for many years; take your ease; eat, drink, and be merry." ' [20] But God said to him, 'Fool! This night your soul will be required of you; then whose will those things be which you have provided?' [21] So is he who lays up treasure for himself, and is not rich toward God."

Daniel 4:30-31
The king spoke, saying, "Is not this great Babylon, that I have built for a royal dwelling by my mighty power and for the honor of my majesty?"

[31] While the word was still in the king's mouth, a voice fell from heaven: "King Nebuchadnezzar, to you it is spoken: the kingdom has departed from you!

King Nebuchadnezzar must have thought in his heart these things. But it was when he spoke the words. The words were still in his mouth when a voice fell from Heaven. The Kingdom was instantly taken away from him. From that moment on, he was no longer the king.

All because he took the honor to himself, that belonged to God. That is why in the healing ministry there are things that you just do not touch. Do not touch the gold, do not touch God's money. Do not touch the honor and glory of God. Do not take it to yourself, but give it up to God.

lucaspa

Legend
Oct 22, 2002
New York
✟32,309.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
JohnR7 said:
There is no question that Hawking's is a brillant man. The question then is, did he use what God gave him to honor or glorify God or not? Most people I believe would say that Hawking's does nothing to honor God.

John, your claim seems to be that Hawkings disease is caused directly by God because Hawking did not honor God enough.

How disgusting and petty you make God!! Why do you hate God so much that you would turn God into a petty person that would punish Hawking? Not only that, but punish him BEFORE he made any of the discoveries that you object to??!!

Hawking had ALS when he entered graduate school. You have God punishing Hawking before Hawking had done what you say he deserves punishment for?

Also, all Hawking is doing is looking at the universe and trying to figure it out. Why should God punish Hawking for this and not punish Darwin, Simpson, Gould, Eldredge, Boyd, Dawkins, LaPlace, etc, etc?

I had a friend at church who recently died from this disease. First you see in the definition that it means to to without nurishment. That is the conditon to many people are in who go without God as a part of their life. They do not allow God to nurish them with His goodness. His life, His health, His healing, His Wisdom, Knowledge and Understanding.

So you are saying your friend, in your church, was without God as part of his life? You have to be. After all, he had ALS and this is supposed to reflect his inner self.

Boy, I'm glad I'm not your friend. With a friend like you, no one needs any enemies.

Upvote 0

Siliconaut

Not to be confused with the other Norman Hartnell
John, sorry to put this so blunty, but do you really like insulting people with outrageous constructs that come to your mind when you sit in your house, staring at the wall until your brain tells you god's on the phone?

To paraphrase a better man, I won't even ignore your feeble post. :D

Upvote 0

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
For lurkers:

For those who want to study up more on just what an allegory is I would suggest Hannah Hurnard: "Hinds' Feet on High Places". Or any of her other books. I have read most of them. Although it was a while ago. I use to love to read Christian allegory books.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0842314296/103-0754354-0102239?vi=glance

Here is a part of a review:

"Much Afraid's crippled feet represent an inability to walk successfully alone and reach higher places. Her twisted mouth represents the speaking of shameful, wrong, or cowardly things that don't befit a servant of the Lord... or perhaps an inability to speak her true heart. Her companions are called Sorrow & Suffering... but when they are revealed in true form, you will cry with understanding! All in all, you'll certainly adore this book if you read it, especially if you are troubled or just discovering God. I know I did."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Hank said:
The Pope has the same disease, does that mean he does not glorify god?

Why did SARS kill nurses?

There "eight million stories in the naked city" and this is just one of them. Each individual has their own story to tell. So it is not so easy to generalize when each individual is just that, a unique individual. Created by God to bring Him honor and glory.

Public figures just happen to be center stage out there for everyone to see. Just like my pastor is a very public figure out there for everyone to see and make comments about him.

If sickness only attacks evil, good would need no doctors. Is being sick a sign to be evil?

Are you really wanting to open this up for discussion? Even under the law people can have divine health, how much more can we have divine health under grace. But not everyone has entered in, and not everyone is healed. But we do see a lot of miracles and healing, and we do capture them on video for others to see.

There use to be a lot of discussion about this on here. Maybe some of those posts are still around.

Upvote 0

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Philip said:
The Pope has Parkinson's, not ALS.

Along with Billy Graham, one of the ten most beloved people in the world today according to the Gallop polls. Also Janet Reno, Michael J. Fox, Mohamad Ali.

"I'll preach as long as I have the strength," Graham said in 1996, after learning he has Parkinson's.

"I'm still the greatest," Ali said in 1997, after learning he has it.

"I don't feel like I have any impairment," Reno said in 1995.

"I can't do things a million times," Fox, who quit his television show, said in People Magazine. "I can only do them once or twice."

http://allsands.com/Health/Diseases/parkinsonsdisea_xzb_gn.htm

Upvote 0

Hank

has the Right to be wrong
May 28, 2002
Toronto
✟16,926.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
CA-Conservatives
JohnR7 said:
Are you really wanting to open this up for discussion? Even under the law people can have divine health, how much more can we have divine health under grace. But not everyone has entered in, and not everyone is healed. But we do see a lot of miracles and healing, and we do capture them on video for others to see.

There use to be a lot of discussion about this on here. Maybe some of those posts are still around.
You started the healing subject. If you can find old post, please provide a link, I can't find it ;)

To use your own Bible I quote:
... He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous.

Sickness attacks humans irrespective to faith. If you believe in the healing power of god fine, no problem, but I don't. There is no empirical evidence. What is proven that the body has self healing mechanism build in. Those can be accelerated with positive actions and life styles.

A broken leg will heal, it will heal faster and better with medical attention. I prefer doctors over prayer. In my never humble opinion :)

Upvote 0

Nathan Poe

Sep 21, 2002
United States
✟41,319.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
JohnR7 said:
There are some things I try to shake off and walk away from. But when it comes to Stephen Hawkings, there is something about him that people just can not seem to shake it off of them.

Apparantly those who don't do this every waking minute will be struck down with a degenerative motor disease.

In the old days, it was a simple plague of locusts, an earthquake, or a nice clean smiting. Quick and painless.

Your God has gotten very creative with his petty sadism. You must be proud, John.

The Bible clearly says that "as a man thinketh in his heart, so is he". No one objects to Hawking's thinking. Nor do they think his ourward appearance has any connection to his thinking. But that is not what the Bible says: "as a man thinketh in his heart, so is he".

So the Bible tells that the outward appearence is a reflection of what's on the inside? God help the ugly people of the world....

I suggest here that the outward appearance is a reflection of the man. The thoughts, the intents, the charactor, the attitude.

I suggest that this is the most shallow and superficial piece of bad advice that a human being could give: "Feel free to judge a book by its cover. The Bible says so."

Now, you can be as superficial as you want, John, that's your right. But why must you twist God into such a fool to justify your own shallowness?

I had a friend at church who recently died from this disease.

Then, by your own definition, your "friend" was not worthy of God's love, and by extention, not worthy of yours. Be careful how you call him "friend," lest God decide to send some divine punishment your way.

John, I think you have managed to hit a new low. Your God is petty, egotistical, cruel, and sickening.

Why not preserve a shred of honesty and just say that you don't agree with Stephen Hawking? Does it give you some sort of self-righteous thrill to claim the wrath of God on him?

If what you imply is true, and that ALS is some sort of divine punishemt for not praising God enough, then I'd be at a loss to decide which is more evil:

A: A God who would do such a thing
B: The followers who would applaud it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Hank said:
Sickness attacks humans irrespective to faith. If you believe in the healing power of god fine, no problem, but I don't. There is no empirical evidence. What is proven that the body has self healing mechanism build in. Those can be accelerated with positive actions and life styles.

Of course there is evidence, people are healed. Even they have a camera that will photograph the healing power that heals the people. We have seen a lot of people receive their miracle or their healing.

Of course the body has the ability to be able to heal itself. That is the difference between someone who is healed and someone who receives a miracle. A miracle is something the body is not able to do on it's own. Either way, it is the power of God at work.

A broken leg will heal, it will heal faster and better with medical attention. I prefer doctors over prayer. In my never humble opinion :)

No one is saying not to go to the doctor. In some ways it is better to receive all the help you can from man. Then go to God to receive what your not able to get from man. In some cases people do not have the option of going to a doctor. There are people in Africa who can not even afford $1 a day for medicine. It is available, but they do not have the money to buy it. So they either get no help, or God's help.

Upvote 0

Just An Atheist

N. Hale - he died for you
Jul 11, 2003
✟714.00
Faith
Atheist
So JohnR7,
I assume you have done some sort of a statistical analysis that shows non-Christians are afflicted with ALS at a higher rate than Christians. If you haven't you are spewing your baloney from a sample of one.

Fallacy of argument by generalization. Could also be considered fallacy of selective observation.

Prof. Hawking doesn't practice your religion. He also has a disease. That must be the cause of the disease.

Fallacy of confusing correlation with causation.

In my personal opinion, your statement is the epitome of bovine scatology.

Upvote 0

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Nathan Poe said:
Apparantly those who don't do this every waking minute will be struck down with a degenerative motor disease.

Well either he is the innocent victom of a ravaging disease, or he is not so innocent. Are you here to defend his innocence and purity?

Do you feel he has done nothing wrong and that he is in no way to blame for the condition that he finds himself in?

Upvote 0

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Just An Atheist said:
So JohnR7,
I assume you have done some sort of a statistical analysis that shows non-Christians are afflicted with ALS at a higher rate than Christians. If you haven't you are spewing your baloney from a sample of one.

It is no problem to show that people who live christian lives live longer. But it would be difficult to break that down for each individual illness that people can die from.

At least that's what a recent study from the Duke University Medical Center indicates. Looking at 4,000 older adults from rural North Carolina, the Duke team concluded that even occasional private prayer and Bible study helped people live healthier and longer lives.

"The person who prays is less stressed. He becomes less anxious, and his blood pressure and pulse improve."

http://www.family.org/focusoverfifty/articles/a0019095.html

Upvote 0

notto

Legend
May 31, 2002
Visit site
✟22,369.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
JohnR7 said:
Well either he is the innocent victom of a ravaging disease, or he is not so innocent. Are you here to defend his innocence and purity?

Do you feel he has done nothing wrong and that he is in no way to blame for the condition that he finds himself in?

There's something in your eye.

Upvote 0