• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Stephen Hawking RIP

Discussion in 'Physical & Life Sciences' started by essentialsaltes, Mar 13, 2018.

1. essentialsaltes

essentialsaltes Stranger in a Strange Land

+6,059
    Atheist
    Legal Union (Other)
    • Like Like x 6
    • Prayers Prayers x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Kylie

Kylie Atheist and Proud

+2,323
    Australia
    Atheist
    Married
    RIP! :'(

3. Stanfordella

Stanfordella The will to do, the soul to dare

+6,673
    United States
    Christian
    In Relationship
    He will remain a testimony to the vital importance of perseverance through adversities. At his graduation from Oxford - a feat some had feared impossible due to the early onset of ALS - he said that “intelligence is the ability to adapt to change.” Throughout his life he kept encountering challenges and finding clever ways of adapting so he could continue to live meaningfully and contributively.

I think he would have appreciated that he died on 3.14, Pi Day. (Though of course in the UK it's written as 14.3, as an attentive observer in life I'm sure he would have made the connection).

4. Michael

Michael Contributor Supporter

+804
    Christian
    I completely agree. I think Stephen Hawking did a remarkable job demonstrating that physical adversity can be overcome, and one can continue follow their dreams regardless of the hardship. It's absolutely amazing and humbling to see what he was able to accomplish with his life. He was a very amazing and inspiring man. :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. Kenny'sID

Kenny'sID Well-Known Member Supporter

+3,792
    Christian
    Single
    I think his IQ had a lot to do with his ability to find enough spice in life to keep him occupied, thus live as long as he did under his circumstances, a feat in itself. Amazing man in many ways.

RIP

6. GoldenBoy89

GoldenBoy89 We're Still Here

+12,099
    Humanist
    Single
    US-Democrat
    What an incredible scientific legacy to leave behind and inspiration for what can be overcome and achieved within a lifetime with enough perseverance. Truly one of the greatest and most enigmatic minds of our time.

Rest in Space, Dr. Hawking.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. DogmaHunter

DogmaHunter Code Monkey

+8,269
    Atheist
    In Relationship
    To borrow from ancient Greek heroism

"I lived, during the days of Achilles The Hawk"

Amazing man indeed. And not bad, for a guy who was told that he wouldn't live past the age of 24.

One of the things I deeply respect, was his healthy ability of self-mockery. His appearances in The Big Bang Theory have been nothing short of hilarious. My absolute favorite though... his sketch with Little Brittain. Absolutely hilarious:

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. FrumiousBandersnatch

FrumiousBandersnatch Well-Known Member

+3,031
    Atheist
    A sad loss, but we were lucky to have him at all. A remarkable man who did maths in his head that few could do on paper.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. joshua 1 9

joshua 1 9 Well-Known Member Supporter

+2,454
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    [​IMG]

10. durangodawood

durangodawood Dis Member

+2,329
    United States
    Seeker
    Single
    I always wondered how much work he did in his head vs having someone write things out.

11. HitchSlap

HitchSlap Well-Known Member

+4,353
    United States
    Atheist
    Married
    Two books I consider bedrock in my understanding of astrophysics;
    A Brief History of Time and Black Holes & Baby Universes.

A brilliant man whose insight and inspiration will never be forgotten. The "Einstein" of our era.

RIP

12. SheldonCooper

SheldonCooper Ph.D.

+46
    United States
    Freethinker
    Single
    Some quotes from the Albert Einstein of our time.

"I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail," Hawking said in The Guardian interview. "There is no heaven or afterlife for broken-down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark."

During a Reddit AMA in 2015, Hawking was asked: "What mystery do you find most intriguing, and why?" His answer? "Women. My PA reminds me that although I have a PhD in physics, women should remain a mystery."

On April 16, 2013, during a lecture entitled "The Origin of the Universe," Hawking mentioned the idea that people continue to seek divine solutions to counter physicist's theories, quipping, "What was God doing before the divine creation? Was he preparing hell for people who asked such questions?”

13. FrumiousBandersnatch

FrumiousBandersnatch Well-Known Member

+3,031
    Atheist
    He could have things written out for him when he was working, although it was a slow, laborious process; but when there wasn't knowledgeable company around, he had to work things out for himself. That's probably when he did his most productive work, undisturbed, undistracted by communication issues.

14. Michael

+804
    Christian

15. Michael

+804
    Christian
    This is a pretty informative an interesting video about Stephen Hawking from some of the people who actually met him.

16. jayem

jayem Naturalist

+3,070
    Atheist
    Married
    The death of a great man is a mournful time. I'm not a religious believer, but nothing captures mourning better than the Mozart Requiem. This is in tribute to Stephen Hawking. It's one of my desert island pieces of music.

Lacrimosa dies illa. Weeping on that day.

17. Strathos

Strathos No one important

+2,160
    Christian
    Single
    US-Democrat
    Well he did live much longer than most doctors expected him to, didn't he?

18. joshua 1 9

joshua 1 9 Well-Known Member Supporter

+2,454
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    50 years longer then most people with the disease he had. I was very hard on him when he was alive but now that he has died he accomplished a LOT with his life and there is a LOT to respect him for.