Jul 9, 2015
✟144,014.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
January seems like a good month to renew this thread for 2017, so I got it in at the last minute :)
This is hopefully a fun and supportive place to talk about health, fitness, sports, outdoors, goals, and share pictures and any results.
So, what does everyone enjoy doing to get moving? Any goals for the year?
Me, I'm keeping up with running and working hard this year to improve flexibility, a weak spot for me.

• Friendly
Reactions: archer75

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
This is hopefully a fun and supportive place to talk about health, fitness, sports, outdoors, goals, and share pictures and any results.
So, what does everyone enjoy doing to get moving? Any goals for the year?
Me, I'm keeping up with running and working hard this year to improve flexibility, a weak spot for me.

I use a walker most of the time, as I have problems with balance. I fell four or five times last year. One time I fell, I somehow cut my little toe on the left side under the toe, and as it was bleeding so badly, I had to go to the emergency room. Well, I had cut a tendon, and sliced open a small artery. Several stitches later, I was back on my feet, but unable to wear a real shoe on the left foot. All this because I fell down.

I would like to be able to use my cane again, instead of the walker, as it is inconvenient!

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
My job at the moment gets me moving body and soul at such a rate, the last thing I want to do is exercise after work. Having said that, I try to do yoga like exercises, in order to prevent injury. These have become essential, as my body ages arthritically speaking. :)

Upvote 0

Genersis

Person of Disinterest
Sep 26, 2011
London
✟38,690.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour
Well, I'm hoping to hit my current target of 70kg in 2 to 4 weeks.
Progress.png

After that I guess I'll try to lose some buffer weight.
Maybe to a target of 65kg?

Regardless, I doubt I'll be pushing so hard to lose that weight.
Just as long as the trajectory is downwards.

Not sure I have any year goals other than keeping off the weight.
I guess I should also be trying to go out to actual events regularly, rather than mostly just walking for the exercise.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Well, I'm hoping to hit my current target of 70kg in 2 to 4 weeks.View attachment 189115
After that I guess I'll try to lose some buffer weight.
Maybe to a target of 65kg?

Regardless, I doubt I'll be pushing so hard to lose that weight.
Just as long as the trajectory is downwards.

Not sure I have any year goals other than keeping off the weight.
I guess I should also be trying to go out to actual events regularly, rather than mostly just walking for the exercise.
What a graph!
This guy really knows how to motivate himself!

Upvote 0

tadoflamb

no identificado
Feb 20, 2007
Diocese of Tucson
✟74,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
My goal is to see more than 255 bird species in Pima county and to hit 500 species on my North American life list in 2017.

What that means is some very slow, long walks in some very beautiful places. I'm not sure how in shape it's going to make me, but so far I've really enjoyed it. I've decided I'm happiest when I'm out in the field looking for birds.

I'll also work on my career as a bicycle commuter, as long as it's not too cold, or too hot.

Upvote 0

Mountain_Girl406

Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2015
✟144,014.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
My goal is to see more than 255 bird species in Pima county and to hit 500 species on my North American life list in 2017.

What that means is some very slow, long walks in some very beautiful places. I'm not sure how in shape it's going to make me, but so far I've really enjoyed it. I've decided I'm happiest when I'm out in the field looking for birds.

I'll also work on my career as a bicycle commuter, as long as it's not too cold, or too hot.
Sounds like an awesome goal...on a related note, and a bit of a sad one, my husband and I lost a good friend today to cancer. He had an amazing life, with diverse interests including astronomy, trains, singing (including opera), food and cooking, and was a long time birder. When you started peaking my interest in birding, my husband used it as excuse to pull out the books his friend has given him...so we started doing it a bit as a family.
I think you would have liked him...he lived an excellent and full life.

Upvote 0

Genersis

Person of Disinterest
Sep 26, 2011
London
✟38,690.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour
Generis, that's great..tracking data like that seems to be a good way to keep on top of things
It at least helps me visualise my progress; otherwise I think I would start to doubt I'm making any.

The last weigh in was 71.6
Was hoping for a little more, but it will do.

I think this week will be similarly mediocre if not slightly worse, and I think I'm okay with that...though still not keen on taking an extra week to hit my target; but if I never have a mediocre week where I spoil myself/live a little, I'd lose all motivation.

The regulars here may have noticed me not being around much of late.
Guess I just haven't been feeling especially social. Perhaps my depression is flaring up a bit.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Genersis

Person of Disinterest
Sep 26, 2011
London
✟38,690.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour
With a weigh in of 70.2kg, I am now officially a healthy weight according to the Body Mass Index.
Will probably lose a bit more weight before celebrating with lots of cake and pizza...
Progress.png

In addition, it is close enough to my target to move on to a new graph.
Weight Tracker.png

Look at all those pretty colours.

Using the data from the last graph, I've come up with weights that I should try and stay below so I can catch sudden weight gain before passing the BMI healthy weight upper bracket. Minimum Buffer should be fine most of the year, the Optimal Buffer may be needed for big eating holidays, like Christmas and(in my family anyway) Halloween.

I've also used my mean weekly weight loss(sans outliers, which ended up around 1.35kg, rounded up to 1.4kg) along with my bad week weight loss(which was consistently 0.8kg) to form a target weight range. I only used the data points since doing my daily 5 mile walks, since I don't plan to stop, though I may have a few more lazy days.

So, my next goal seems to be to hit 66.8kg, which will take 4 to 6 weeks.
After which I could aim for 10 stone, which is around 63.5kg; that would take 6 to 10 weeks.
61.5kg represents the middle of the BMI healthy bracket, which I guess I'll shoot for if I still feel like I could do with losing the weight. I like having meat on my bones, so to speak.

Random statistics(pessimistic estimates):
Walking Speed: 3.3mph
Steps a second: 1.75
Step Length: 81cm
Weekly Steps: 60,000
Weekly Distance: 30 miles
Weekly Time Spent Walking: 9 Hours
Weekly Calorie Intake: 7,000
Weekly Calories Burned: 2,500

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Genersis

Person of Disinterest
Sep 26, 2011
London
✟38,690.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour
69kg
A loss of 1.2kg
Not bad, I think this week will be the same or possibly better.

Low-ish calorie Pancake batter:
1 Medium Egg
143ml Unsweetend Almond Milk
125g Self-raising Flour

Batch contains 501 Calories
Produces around 200ml of batter, which makes 2 good sized pancakes(maybe three mediocre sized ones, for people you don't like).
Keeps in an airtight container for 5 days in the fridge.

I make five of these batches and store it in a 2 pint plastic milk bottle.

Tips:
Fry using a low calorie spray to add less than 10 calories while cooking,

Try to make the batter at least 12 hours in advance. The batter is initially very thick(varies on size of eggs used), producing thick pancakes. After a day the batter should be the perfect consistency, and produce slightly lighter, thinner pancakes.

Theoretical tips:
The pancakes are pretty plain, so I guess using sweetened almond milk may make a difference.
Maybe using vanilla extract could also be a low calorie solution.(Tried cinnamon; yuck. It isn't as naturally sweet as I had thought)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Genersis

Person of Disinterest
Sep 26, 2011
London
✟38,690.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour
I don't know much about vegan friendly egg substitutes I'm afraid.
All I know is applesauce is a thing. Also, I can't seem to get it here(only apple pie fillings)
Do you know much about egg substitutes MG?

Upvote 0

Mountain_Girl406

Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2015
✟144,014.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't know much about vegan friendly egg substitutes I'm afraid.
All I know is applesauce is a thing. Also, I can't seem to get it here(only apple pie fillings)
Do you know much about egg substitutes MG?
I use a packaged egg substitute EnerG brand, I think, for batters for frying and cornbread. I used applesauce once for a cake, but it turned out too sweet for my tastes. I'm going to try avocado next time.

Upvote 0

Genersis

Person of Disinterest
Sep 26, 2011
London
✟38,690.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour
I use a packaged egg substitute EnerG brand, I think, for batters for frying and cornbread. I used applesauce once for a cake, but it turned out too sweet for my tastes. I'm going to try avocado next time.
Avocado?
Hmm, that's an interesting choice.

Seems Wikipedia has a page on substitutes.
Aquafaba, Chickpea flour and pureed fruits seem to be the main substitutes.
I almost always have bananas, so I might give them a go at some point.

(Also, I'm going to go back and edit the pancake recipe, as I made a second batch, making sure to measure how much batter the recipe makes and how far the batter goes)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Genersis

Person of Disinterest
Sep 26, 2011
London
✟38,690.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour
Walked to Tottenham, and most of the way back too.
I got mixed up with another journey I planned, and thought it was only around three miles away. Turns out it was five.
It was to attend a Meet and Greet thingy, but I got there 40 minutes late, only to discover that it had effectively been cancelled(the person organising it couldn't make it)

Ah well.
It was at least something I hadn't done before.
Could do without the blisters mind you.

Upvote 0

Mountain_Girl406

Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2015
✟144,014.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Avocado?
Hmm, that's an interesting choice.

Seems Wikipedia has a page on substitutes.
Aquafaba, Chickpea flour and pureed fruits seem to be the main substitutes.
I almost always have bananas, so I might give them a go at some point.

(Also, I'm going to go back and edit the pancake recipe, as I made a second batch, making sure to measure how much batter the recipe makes and how far the batter goes)
I have to be honest, I have a huge aversion to bananas. ..very embarrassing for a vegan as they are a staple of many healthy vegan diets. I don't like to be within about 50 ft of one!

Upvote 0

Genersis

Person of Disinterest
Sep 26, 2011
London
✟38,690.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour
I have to be honest, I have a huge aversion to bananas. ..very embarrassing for a vegan as they are a staple of many healthy vegan diets. I don't like to be within about 50 ft of one!
Huh. Is it the taste, texture or both?
It amazes me that there's actually quite a variety of bananas, many claimed to be much better than the Cavendish bananas, but alas, it seems only the Cavendish is cultivated to export on a global scale. Of course, the Cavendish banana replaced the Gros Michel banana in the 1960's after a highly contagious mould wiped out large numbers of Gros Michel crops.

Last edited:
Upvote 0