Staying Positive No Matter What (Tinnitus)

Steve Wolf

Jan 25, 2020
Naperville Illinois
✟7,884.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Hello all,
I joined this forum to get some biblical insight on coping with suffering. I recently started have Tinnitus or high pitched ringing in my ears after taking Lexapro for about six months.

Sometimes its so loud that it induces a full blown panic attack. Im wondering what others may be doing to seek god and cope with this new found absolute torment every second of the day. I am a positive person for sure but just wondering if I eventually get used to it? Lose my mind? Try to continue to seek the lord even though it feels super hopeless? Any comments or advice is greatly appreciated.

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟324,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Hello all,
I joined this forum to get some biblical insight on coping with suffering. I recently started have Tinnitus or high pitched ringing in my ears after taking Lexapro for about six months.

Sometimes its so loud that it induces a full blown panic attack. Im wondering what others may be doing to seek god and cope with this new found absolute torment every second of the day. I am a positive person for sure but just wondering if I eventually get used to it? Lose my mind? Try to continue to seek the lord even though it feels super hopeless? Any comments or advice is greatly appreciated.

You should first talk with your doctor about your medication. There may be some other prescription without the side effects.

Upvote 0

Curtis.Hilliker

Now what.......
Apr 25, 2011
Tehachapi CA
✟47,020.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
Hello all,

I’m on psych meds and I hear auditory hallucinations severe enough to cause physical pain. Keep praying.

Upvote 0

maintenance man

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2018
California
Visit site
✟483,992.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I recently started have Tinnitus or high pitched ringing in my ears after taking Lexapro for about six months.

Hey, welcome to CF! That's a difficult condition to deal with. I'm praying you find a treatment option that works for you. Beyond that, I'm praying that the Tinnitus is only temporary and you soon return to normal. May you be blessed.

Reactions: Deade
Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Hello all,

Are you off the Lex? Do some research to see if the tinnitus from it is persistent or if it has a time frame.

I've had tinnitus for a long time, but it got worse from taking artemisinin for Lyme. I dealt with it by focusing on it. This allows the brain to separate it and then tune it out.

You are not going to go crazy or lose your mind. If possible, that is if it's not too bad, the less you think about it the less it will bother you.

But definitely see your doctor about it.

Upvote 0

Steve Wolf

Jan 25, 2020
Naperville Illinois
✟7,884.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I’m on psych meds and I hear auditory hallucinations severe enough to cause physical pain. Keep praying.
Im really sorry to hear that. I wouldn't wish these side effects on my worst enemies. Praying indeed!

Upvote 0

Steve Wolf

Jan 25, 2020
Naperville Illinois
✟7,884.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Are you off the Lex? Do some research to see if the tinnitus from it is persistent or if it has a time frame.

I've had tinnitus for a long time, but it got worse from taking artemisinin for Lyme. I dealt with it by focusing on it. This allows the brain to separate it and then tune it out.

You are not going to go crazy or lose your mind. If possible, that is if it's not too bad, the less you think about it the less it will bother you.

But definitely see your doctor about it.
Off the Lex for 4 days now after I tapered for 3 weeks. Feel awful.

I will try to focus on it like you said. Ive heard that does help. It gets really loud then less noticeable sometimes. I get anxious and its like a high pitched sound like i can't describe. Like its burrows through my brain. Its tolerable 80% of the time. At night its real bad. Really appreciate the response!

Upvote 0

Steve Wolf

Jan 25, 2020
Naperville Illinois
✟7,884.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
You should first talk with your doctor about your medication. There may be some other prescription without the side effects.
Absolutely. Id rather not be on anything if i can help it. Thanks!

Upvote 0

paul1149

Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Off the Lex for 4 days now after I tapered for 3 weeks. Feel awful.

I will try to focus on it like you said. Ive heard that does help. It gets really loud then less noticeable sometimes. I get anxious and its like a high pitched sound like i can't describe. Like its burrows through my brain. Its tolerable 80% of the time. At night its real bad. Really appreciate the response!
I meant to add that when it first came on it drew panic. It feels like a train is coming at you in your head. But that level only lasted briefly, then it subsided. The artimisinin has made it worse, but not as bad as it was at first. One of these days I have to look to see if any herbs might help, if it doesn't heal itself.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Steve Wolf

Jan 25, 2020
Naperville Illinois
✟7,884.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I meant to add that when it first came on it drew panic. It feels like a train is coming at you in your head. But that level only lasted briefly, then it subsided. The artimisinin has made it worse, but not as bad as it was at first. One of these days I have to look to see if any herbs might help, if it doesn't heal itself.
Absolutely. My doctor gave me a low dose of xanax to take as needed to that does help with the panic. Not with the ringing though sadly. Again thank you for the insight.

• Prayers
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,925,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hello @Steve Wolf, first off, WELCOME TO CF :wave:

My son has terrible tinnitus. He, like @paul1149, got it from Lyme Disease. It has kept him up many nights in the past, but he began to wear headphones to bed and hearing the music helped him (actually, he listens during the day too when the tinnitus gets bad).

There are supposed to be some new hearing aids that help tinnitus, even if you don't need the hearing aids, but to find out about that you'd need to talk to an audiologist.

I'm very sorry that you're facing this problem. Hopefully it will not be a permanent malady in your case.

Praying!

God bless you! (Numbers 6:24-26)

--David

1 Thessalonians 5
23 May the God of peace Himself sanctify you entirely; and may your spirit and soul and body
be preserved complete, without blame at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.
24 Faithful is He who calls you, and He also will bring it to pass.

Upvote 0

Ricky M

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2017
Los Angeles
✟130,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hello all,

I have tinnitus.

If it started with the meds then stop taking the meds.

I've got a pair of noise-cancelling headphones. I found that if I wore them for at least 6 hours, the next day my ears would be quiet. But then, mine is caused by too many years of sirens and air horns and things going kaboom. And yes certain meds make mine worse. I stopped those meds.

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sometimes its so loud that it induces a full blown panic attack.
Perhaps you have panic attacks because you doubt God and if He is going to heal you. We know that all things work out for the best for them that love God and are called according to His purpose. So we know that we have to trust and believe that God is going to work it all out for us.

The ear tubes need to drain themselves. On airplanes they teach us to yawn or chew gum to help clear the fluids out of the tubes in the ear. This can help to lesson tinnitus. Eustachian tube dysfunction is a major cause of this condition. So that could be what God needs to heal.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

jacks

Er Victus
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2010
Northwest US
✟672,694.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have had tinnitus for over 30 years. I haven't found anything to cure it, but I have learned to mostly ignore it. At least not to fixate on it. (Sometimes that is really hard when taking certain medications and it changes tune, pitch and volume instead of being a steady noise.) The only problem is as I've tuned out the tinnitus, I also ignore "real" sounds. (My wife says that includes her.)

BTW I haven't tried the noise-cancelling headphones Ricky suggested, It's worth a try.

Praying for you.

Upvote 0

Deade

Called of God
Site Supporter
Dec 17, 2017
Vinita, OK
Visit site
✟274,266.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hello Steve,
welcome to CF.

I hope you'll enjoy your stay here. I have had tinnitus for 45 years. You get used to it.

320235_e4a53270ec6668d0c36ddaf5548251f3.gif

48922159f37139d5783fcb48c514dac3.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My wife says that includes her.
I think that my wife has learned how to ignore me. Only if I say her sisters name that opens her ears and she hears every word I say after that.

Upvote 0

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Site Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,010,441.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Suffered with it for approx 30 years now. Very loud indeed! I have just learned to live with it.

Try not to focus on it too much. Easily said than done i know. Headphones sounds like a good idea.

God bless you my friend in Christ

Upvote 0

paul1149

Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Some promising natural remedies are available. I checked in my Vital Man by Stephen Buhner (out of print and expensive, but your library might have it) and he has some suggestions. Also a search on the Web and on Amazon turned up some candidates. But it is critical if you take prescription medicine, especially psychotropics, that you check with your doctor before taking supplements, as they could drastically affect how the medicines work.

• Useful
Upvote 0

Deade

Called of God
Site Supporter
Dec 17, 2017
Vinita, OK
Visit site
✟274,266.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Some promising natural remedies are available. I checked in my Vital Man by Stephen Buhner (out of print and expensive, but your library might have it) and he has some suggestions. Also a search on the Web and on Amazon turned up some candidates. But it is critical if you take prescription medicine, especially psychotropics, that you check with your doctor before taking supplements, as they could drastically affect how the medicines work.

I spent $400 on RingEase and took it for six months. A waste of time and money. If your high pitches are distorted get a hearing aid to help just that and learn to live with it.
5thumbsup.gif

• Informative
Upvote 0