Illinois
✟12,393.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'm from Chicago and I will be attending Northeastern University (all the way in Boston!) in the fall. I once read a statistic that about 50% of teens who go to church and are active Christians stop pursuing their faith in college. that makes me so heartbroken. I am so excited to live in Boston and I know being there will only make my faith stronger! the thing I'm concerned about is finding other Christians on campus. and I mean people who are really walking with Jesus. I've been praying about this for a while now, along with finding a good church that's close by. I know I can be a light for those around me at school, but fellowship with other Christians is so important to me. I'm curious about other experiences with Christianity in college and how it is different/how to find good Christian friends :)

Josephus

<b>Co-Founder Christian Forums</b>
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2000
Kerbal Space Center
✟150,343.00
Faith
Messianic
I'm from Chicago and I will be attending Northeastern University (all the way in Boston!) in the fall. I once read a statistic that about 50% of teens who go to church and are active Christians stop pursuing their faith in college. that makes me so heartbroken. I am so excited to live in Boston and I know being there will only make my faith stronger! the thing I'm concerned about is finding other Christians on campus. and I mean people who are really walking with Jesus. I've been praying about this for a while now, along with finding a good church that's close by. I know I can be a light for those around me at school, but fellowship with other Christians is so important to me. I'm curious about other experiences with Christianity in college and how it is different/how to find good Christian friends :)

If you find other Christians on campus, and remain plugged into a spiritual family, they can hold you accountable and support you in your time on campus. Going to campus doesn't have to be a spiritual death sentence if you have an apologetic education, deep faith with a support network, or both. In such a case, G-d may actually be sending you as a witness and serve Him. Just be prepared to give an answer for the hope that you have, before you get there.

Upvote 0

Ttalkkugjil

Social Pastor
Mar 6, 2019
Suwon
✟34,572.00
Country
Korea, Republic Of
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others

College is tough. You need Jesus.

Good to hear that you're interested in finding a church to attend and keeping your faith.

In my own case, my postsecondary education helped me in my pilgrim journey. I attended a Christian university-college and seminary where I could connect with Christian professors and students, counselors and spiritual directors.

Blessings to you on your upcoming studies.

Upvote 0

gym_class_hero

Dec 31, 2016
state of grace
✟122,069.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hey Nicole....I found this organization listed on your college's website. I think getting plugged in right away with one of these groups will help you.

InterVarsity is also a good Christian group thats listed. Heres a link to student orgs there....

Center for Student Involvement - Northeastern University

God bless you

• Agape Christian Fellowship (Agape)
    We are Agape Christian Fellowship, the Campus Crusade for Christ chapter at Northeastern University. We are a movement of students loving Jesus, loving each other, and loving our campus. Our vision is to be a community of people growing in their relationships with Jesus, learning together, and encouraging one another.

Upvote 0

Ttalkkugjil

Social Pastor
Mar 6, 2019
Suwon
✟34,572.00
Country
Korea, Republic Of
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Hey Nicole....I found this organization listed on your college's website. I think getting plugged in right away with one of these groups will help you.

InterVarsity is also a good Christian group thats listed. Heres a link to student orgs there....

God bless you

We are Agape Christian Fellowship, the Campus Crusade for Christ chapter at Northeastern University. We are a movement of students loving Jesus, loving each other, and loving our campus. Our vision is to be a community of people growing in their relationships with Jesus, learning together, and encouraging one another.

Actually - there are 9 Christian groups at the school. I'd personally go in for the Lutheran-Episcopal Campus Ministry.

Upvote 0

nicolelovesjesus

Mar 23, 2019
Illinois
✟12,393.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If you find other Christians on campus, and remain plugged into a spiritual family, they can hold you accountable and support you in your time on campus. Going to campus doesn't have to be a spiritual death sentence if you have an apologetic education, deep faith with a support network, or both. In such a case, G-d may actually be sending you as a witness and serve Him. Just be prepared to give an answer for the hope that you have, before you get there.
thank you!!

Upvote 0

nicolelovesjesus

Mar 23, 2019
Illinois
✟12,393.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
College is tough. You need Jesus.

Good to hear that you're interested in finding a church to attend and keeping your faith.

In my own case, my postsecondary education helped me in my pilgrim journey. I attended a Christian university-college and seminary where I could connect with Christian professors and students, counselors and spiritual directors.

Blessings to you on your upcoming studies.
that's amazing. I'm so curious to see where I end up. my current major is Health Science but who knows where God is going to place me!!

Reactions: Ttalkkugjil
Upvote 0

nicolelovesjesus

Mar 23, 2019
Illinois
✟12,393.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

God bless you

thank you so much! I will definitely check it out.

edit: I just found out that my mom did Campus Crusade at college and that's exactly what Agape is! thank you for helping me find this.
God bless and happy Sunday :)

Upvote 0

nicolelovesjesus

Mar 23, 2019
Illinois
✟12,393.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Actually - there are 9 Christian groups at the school. I'd personally go in for the Lutheran-Episcopal Campus Ministry.
I'm excited to check out all the different ones and see where I fit best :)

Reactions: Ttalkkugjil
Upvote 0

Lady O

Mar 1, 2018
Ohio
✟18,133.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have heard similar statistics also, and it's very disturbing to know that professors take liberties in the classroom that teach students to doubt the existence and presence of God.

Can you get online and look into possible churches and groups you can connect with? Or call some of the churches and say you are looking for a location where many of the students congregate and ask for some direction.

I know navigating your way through these circumstances can test your patience and your goals, but press in to God. He has a plan just for you. It may not come packaged exactly as your see it in your mind now, but stick close to him and be ready for whatever he puts in your path.

Make as many phone calls as you need to to help locate a fellowship that seeks to serve God wholeheartedly while on campus. Ask questions, do google searches for the area, and never hesitate to call a pastor for support. Blessings, and I trust someday you will come back to this page with a testimony of God's goodness!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

nicolelovesjesus

Mar 23, 2019
Illinois
✟12,393.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I have heard similar statistics also, and it's very disturbing to know that professors take liberties in the classroom that teach students to doubt the existence and presence of God.

Can you get online and look into possible churches and groups you can connect with? Or call some of the churches and say you are looking for a location where many of the students congregate and ask for some direction.

I know navigating your way through these circumstances can test your patience and your goals, but press in to God. He has a plan just for you. It may not come packaged exactly as your see it in your mind now, but stick close to him and be ready for whatever he puts in your path.

Make as many phone calls as you need to to help locate a fellowship that seeks to serve God wholeheartedly while on campus. Ask questions, do google searches for the area, and never hesitate to call a pastor for support. Blessings, and I trust someday you will come back to this page with a testimony of God's goodness!
thank you! I found some groups already but I guess we won't know until I get there

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I came REEEEELLLLLLYYYYYYY close to totally falling away fall term of my freshman year.

Drugs were everywhere. Alcohol was everywhere. Sex was available everywhere. No parents, no relatives, no one that has even met you before were present. So absolutely NO ACCOUNTABILITY.

When I went home for Christmas break, I was shocked at where I was; and so were some of my friends. It was vitally important to me to get into a congregation that would hold me accountable when I slipped up. I found that (and then some) in a group that many considered too heavy handed (as do I now) but they helped me keep myself straight with God.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm from Chicago
You are from just across the lake from where I grew up in Southwest lower Michigan (just north of South Bend IN) Grew up watching WGN, listening to WLS and WCFL (back when they were top 40 stations) and rooting for the Cubs.

Howdy Neighbor!

Upvote 0

nicolelovesjesus

Mar 23, 2019
Illinois
✟12,393.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You are from just across the lake from where I grew up in Southwest lower Michigan (just north of South Bend IN) Grew up watching WGN, listening to WLS and WCFL (back when they were top 40 stations) and rooting for the Cubs.

Howdy Neighbor!
very cool!

Reactions: Dave-W
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟150,027.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I do not think its a good idea to move to college. You will be under their influence 24/7, literally day and night. And what is happening there is quite bad, you would pretty much needed to isolate yourself from the rest to be left out of the partying, dating, drinking etc.

Its better to study in your home city so that you can live in your home and keep your family, friends and church.

Or a remote study.

I barely knew the names of people in the same class in the University. But I am not from the USA, maybe its not possible there.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Joined2krist
Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟938,983.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Whether your faith is nurtured in college is up to you. It may take some effort to find the right place to nurture your faith. In my own case, when I left home I promised my mother I'd still go to church (but swore I'd never go to another potluck again in my life). I first visited the campus ministry of my then faith group and found it to be a closed, unwelcoming little clique. I eventually found my college church home in a Presbyterian church on the edge of campus that was not a part of campus ministry. College students jokingly called it, "Our Lady of Cadillac" for the autos filling its parking lot. I found it curious how a bunch of older rich people could embrace a bunch of young ragtag college kids while some campus ministries were unwelcoming. So look around, and keep looking if you first don't find what you are looking for. The church is alive and well. but sometimes you have to search for it.

Upvote 0

DragonFox91

Dec 20, 2020
Michigan
✟215,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I went to a big secular university. I was concerned I’d have a hard time & wanted to go to a faith-based school, but God had a reason for me at a secular school. There are lots of faith groups even at secular universities. Either students who were already walking w/ Jesus who stand firm. Or even students who turn to Jesus BECAUSE of their experiences away at college. This sounds like something that’s giving you anxiety so the fact you are concerned about it is a reason enough as it is you will have faith. God will prepare connections for you to stay strong in the faith. Pray & read the Bible every day. Ask questions of faith leaders. If your path leads you to a secular school in Boston, that’s where it leads & Jesus will take care of you there.

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
Livingston County, MI, US
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Look up Moody Bible College to get leads.

Upvote 0

John_Brown

May 10, 2022
TX
✟8,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Expect the worst I am affraid. Especially in a place like Boston, you can expect to be surrounded by people that are not simply not Christians, but actively at war with the faith. Temptation and sin will be everywhere, and considerable strength of character and soul is needed to resist.
I found Psalm 23:4 particularly helpful and comforting during those times.

Upvote 0