Australia
✟157,641.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What?? Some people like hospital workers and firefighters work nightshifts, I hope if one of them ever comes to your aid at 3am you don't point and call them sinners. Or would you prefer they stayed in bed and nobody took your emergency call?

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If I am staying up, instead of getting the sleep I need, this is not good . . . unless there is something important, enough, to do . . . maybe like praying for somebody, or writing something to help someone. And ministers up helping people, and men with wives about ready to have a baby . . . are excused :) lolololololololol

But I did some reading about the medical discoveries about sleep. What I understand is every person needs even at least seven hours of sleep. And it needs to be quality, not just quantity. And sleep is not rest, but steam cleaning your nerve connections, so the chemical messaging materials and waste get cleared out > like how after a busy day of messages on your desk, you need to clear the opened envelopes and completed work orders and other stuff so it does not cram your desk the next day. Or . . . if you have ever tried to cook in the kitchen and the dirty dishes and pots and all are still in the way . . . and all the silverware and your favorite knife are all messy and strewn in the sink and where you prepare cooking > this all needs to be cleared and the place restored, like happens between your nerves while you sleep.

But you may have noticed how when you are tired you can lie down for just a few minutes and be ready for more action. Why did you not need to sleep???? Because all you were doing was letting your body clear excess lactic acid from your muscles, if I remember correctly, so the muscles can function. The lactic acid is a product of muscle activity, and it can back up, to more or less shut the muscles down.

Likewise > the nerves have build-up of chemicals between them, because of message sending. And this leftover stuff needs to be cleared . . . by means of sleep which works right. This is a very high-level function which a drug can not replace. There even is a part of the brain which orders muscles to be paralyzed during dreams . . . so you don't physically act out what you are doing during a dream :) Just imagine jumping off the edge of a cliff with a paraglider > during a dream > when in physical reality you just dove off the edge of your bed. We actually have been designed with this safety thing for during our dreams.

So, sleep is a gift of God. And I find, also, by the way, that I can not control my own self to sleep. But it helps to be still and submit for when and how God oozes me into sleeping. But if I try to consciously make myself sleep > my conscious trying can keep me . . . conscious . . . awake :) So, I need to submit to sleep, not trying to make it happen. And this might be a lesson on how to submit to God > He does the process, while we are simply quiet and not trying to make things happen, and He has us in His peace and all He does with us. And submitting to Him, like this, can help us into the best sleep, of God's kind caressing.

So . . . if you stay up late, hopefully this will be for a love reason, and you will make a date to do your seven or eight hours of sleeping not too later.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: dqhall
Upvote 0

lambofgod43985889

of christian forum
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
temuco
✟155,137.00
Country
Chile
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
What?? Some people like hospital workers and firefighters work nightshifts, I hope if one of them ever comes to your aid at 3am you don't point and call them sinners. Or would you prefer they stayed in bed and nobody took your emergency call?
you are not understanding

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,157,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟959,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
stay up late, improper? sin?
Even if you can challenge its healthfulness, nothing in the Bible declares it to be a sin. That would have to come from a lesser playbook.

More to the point, "sin" is a nature. Adding more items to one's list of sins is not going to deal with that problem. Past the "big" ten, if the Holy Spirit tells you to do something and you refuse (or tells you to stop and you continue), those are sins. (Just repent & resume your walk.)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ajcarey

Jun 3, 2019
Midwest
✟46,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
It really depends on why you are up late. Being a child of light or darkness is not dependent on whether you are up late at night, as light and darkness spiritually do not come that close to corresponding to natural light and darkness- though there is sometimes a correlation in that wickedness does tend to be committed and expressed in natural darkness more so than in natural light. Some stay up late to facilitate committing sin. And Scriptures like Romans 13 and 1 Thessalonians 5 do speak of that tendency of children of darkness. But many have valid reasons to be up late at night- even necessary, godly reasons. And many wicked people get to bed early and rise early in the morning. It's not something that should be read into. If it's done for a wicked reason and it is obvious, then the deeds committed need to be reproved, not so much the staying up late.

Ephesians 5:11-13: "11 And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them. 12 For it is a shame even to speak of those things which are done of them in secret. 13 But all things that are reproved are made manifest by the light: for whatsoever doth make manifest is light."

Upvote 0

ajcarey

Jun 3, 2019
Midwest
✟46,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
And do be careful not to condemn the righteous. "He that justifieth the wicked, and he that condemneth the just, even they both are abomination to the Lord." (Proverbs 17:15)

Look at the Apostle Paul here. Acts 20:7-11: "7 And upon the first day of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread, Paul preached unto them, ready to depart on the morrow; and continued his speech until midnight. 8 And there were many lights in the upper chamber, where they were gathered together. 9 And there sat in a window a certain young man named Eutychus, being fallen into a deep sleep: and as Paul was long preaching, he sunk down with sleep, and fell down from the third loft, and was taken up dead. 10 And Paul went down, and fell on him, and embracing him said, Trouble not yourselves; for his life is in him. 11 When he therefore was come up again, and had broken bread, and eaten, and talked a long while, even till break of day, so he departed."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
why not? what about we are children of light
I have a light on in my room right now, so that's not a problem. Perhaps you simply need brighter light bulbs? :scratch:
tulc(actually does better with very little sleep) :oldthumbsup:

• Haha
Reactions: Strong in Him
Upvote 0

Dixibehr50

Sep 16, 2019
Phoenix
✟16,981.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
Even if you can challenge its healthfulness, nothing in the Bible declares it to be a sin. That would have to come from a lesser playbook.

More to the point, "sin" is a nature. Adding more items to one's list of sins is not going to deal with that problem. Past the "big" ten, if the Holy Spirit tells you to do something and you refuse (or tells you to stop and you continue), those are sins. (Just repent & resume your walk.)
In Eastern Christianity, sin is EXTRINSIC to our true nature.

Upvote 0

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Luke 6: 12 said:
12 And it came to pass in those days, that he went out into a mountain to pray, and continued all night in prayer to God.
Matthew 26: 40-46 said:
40 And he cometh unto the disciples, and findeth them asleep, and saith unto Peter, What, could ye not watch with me one hour?

41 Watch and pray, that ye enter not into temptation: the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.

42 He went away again the second time, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if this cup may not pass away from me, except I drink it, thy will be done.

43 And he came and found them asleep again: for their eyes were heavy.

44 And he left them, and went away again, and prayed the third time, saying the same words.

45 Then cometh he to his disciples, and saith unto them, Sleep on now, and take your rest: behold, the hour is at hand, and the Son of man is betrayed into the hands of sinners.

46 Rise, let us be going: behold, he is at hand that doth betray me.
Seems like Jesus liked to stay up late as well. :wave:
tulc(is just sayn') :sorry:

Upvote 0

royal priest

debtor to grace
Nov 1, 2015
Northeast, USA
✟188,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Proverbs 31:10, 18
Who can find a virtuous and capable wife?
She is more precious than rubies...
She makes sure her dealings are profitable;
her lamp burns late into the night

Upvote 0