Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
The Southerners believed they had the right to secede, and therefore treason by definition was inoperative to them.

No, it was treason.

Even today, Civil War notwithstanding, there is still talk of various states seceding from the union.
The US Supreme Court has held that there is no case for a constitutional right of secession. That was in Texas v. White.

Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
No, it was treason.

The US Supreme Court has held that there is no case for a constitutional right of secession. That was in Texas v. White.
The point is that they believed treason was inoperative, because they were exiting the auspices of the Constitution. Texas v. White was post-CW.

Upvote 0

civilwarbuff

Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟611,873.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
and it would have been treason under the Constitution.
Only if it violated the parameters set forth in the Constitution; secession did not necessarily equate to treason. In fact secession is not even mentioned in the Constitution.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
The point is that they believed treason was inoperative, because they were exiting the auspices of the Constitution.

Again, they were In violation Of article III section 3.

Texas v. White was post-CW.
Yes, I know that. I was responding to you statement that even today some states want to leave.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
So does that mean that W. VA still belongs to VA?
You have to understand how WV came into being. After Virginia succeeded there was a loyal government of Virginia in Wheeling. That government gave WV the power to succeed.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Only if it violated the parameters set forth in the Constitution; secession did not necessarily equate to treason. In fact secession is not even mentioned in the Constitution.
I know it isn’t mentioned there. But Article III section 3 would still apply.

Upvote 0

civilwarbuff

Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟611,873.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
You have to understand how WV came into being. After Virginia succeeded there was a loyal government of Virginia in Wheeling. That government gave WV the power to succeed.
So the federal government violated the constitution.....well that's so much better.....LOL
BTW, I am quite aware of how W.VA came into being.....

Upvote 0

civilwarbuff

Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟611,873.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0

civilwarbuff

Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟611,873.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
How did the Feds violate the Constitution?
Did Virginia consent to the separation of W. Virginia?.....no. Then the feds had no right to recognize it as a separate state since it was only done on the vote of those living in W.VA.
Apparently not.
Glad I am not taking your class......

Upvote 0

civilwarbuff

Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟611,873.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Need I remind you that it was the Confederacy that fired the first shot.
Need I remind you that they seceded several months prior to that?....and nothing happened? And yes, I am quite aware of Buchanan's inaction and statements and administration transition, etc.
I already answered this.
As applied to Article 3 Section 3 but not the entire Constitution.

Upvote 0

Running2win

Jul 20, 2020
St. Louis
✟25,393.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I know my history. You seem to have forgotten that when that was attempted President Andrew Jackson very quickly put a stop to it.

President Andrew Jackson on Secession and Nullification

So, why get rid of all the statues? Europe keeps all theirs up to remind people how things were and not forget. It makes no sense to try and erase history.

Plus to say the Civil war was all about slavery is like saying the Iraq war was just all about WMDs. It was an excuse to take away States rights and take away the Souths cheap labor force.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Did Virginia consent to the separation of W. Virginia?.....no. Then the feds had no right to recognize it as a separate state since it was only done on the vote of those living in W.VA.

No, it was approved by the Restored Government of Virginia. I already explained that.

Glad I am not taking your class......

Another barb from you. Are you incapable of polite behavior?

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Need I remind you that they seceded several months prior to that?....and nothing happened? And yes, I am quite aware of Buchanan's inaction and statements and administration transition, etc.

Nothing happened until the south started a war.

As applied to Article 3 Section 3 but not the entire Constitution.

You don’t need to violate the whole Constitution. One section is sufficient.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
So, why get rid of all the statues? Europe keeps all theirs up to remind people how things were and not forget. It makes no sense to try and erase history.

Really? I thought by law all the Nazi statues and monuments in Germany were removed.

Plus to say the Civil war was all about slavery is like saying the Iraq war was just all about WMDs. It was an excuse to take away States rights and take away the Souths cheap labor force.

slavery wasn’t a cheap labor force. If a steelworker in the north died it cost the company nothing. There was no worker’s compensation then. If a slave died, every penny spent on that slave was gone.

Upvote 0

Running2win

Jul 20, 2020
St. Louis
✟25,393.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Really? I thought by law all the Nazi statues and monuments in Germany were removed.

slavery wasn’t a cheap labor force. If a steelworker in the north died it cost the company nothing. There was no worker’s compensation then. If a slave died, every penny spent on that slave was gone.

The South was not committing genocide, and like you said a slave was an investment, many were treated well, and it was legal-just like every society before.

The ovens are still standing, war monuments and such. That is what I was talking about... By keeping Southern statues, it is a teaching tool to say that was how it was then but now look how far we have come in the advancement of civil rights. That's how I see the debate.

We take away the past and don't teach history-or rewrite, we are destined to make the same mistakes but with a different people group-which is how we are getting today. All whites are bad and have white privilege- is the constant drum beat, so whites will be the ones going to the ovens or being slaves in the future.

Upvote 0

civilwarbuff

Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟611,873.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Another barb from you. Are you incapable of polite behavior?
It is an honest assessment....
No, it was approved by the Restored Government of Virginia. I already explained that.
Actually you didn't but the Unionist government of Virginia, which became W. VA, was simply a political expediency of the Lincoln administration and it remained under tight control of the federal government as well as lacking a judiciary. Not anything even remotely close to the established and accepted procedure by Mass. in relinquishing Maine.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.