Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Trump administration blocks states from using Medicaid to respond to coronavirus crisis
LATimes said:
Despite mounting pleas from California and other states, the Trump administration isn’t allowing states to use Medicaid more freely to respond to the coronavirus crisis by expanding medical services...
But months into the current global disease outbreak, the White House and senior federal health officials haven’t taken the necessary steps to give states simple pathways to fully leverage the mammoth safety net program to prevent a wider epidemic....
During major disasters, CMS has traditionally loosened these rules.
Donald is non-traditional.

Poor people are more likely to use mass transit and to be in service jobs (waitstaff, retail clerk) where they interact with large numbers of people. They are also less likely to get time off, let alone paid time off, if they become mildly ill. They are also less likely to have insurance without a high deductible or, well, at all.

States need to be able to provide health care in a health care crisis.

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟239,869.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
One fears that, what has all the appearance of inept, incompetent handling of this crisis in the US, will lead to substantially greater disruption and death than need have been the case. If this does transpire may we hope that there will be broader recognition that the US health system is broken and needs a root and branch transformation? Or is there no relationship between the crisis, its mode of handling and the structure of US health provisions?

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟894,529.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Trump administration blocks states from using Medicaid to respond to coronavirus crisis

Donald is non-traditional.

Poor people are more likely to use mass transit and to be in service jobs (waitstaff, retail clerk) where they interact with large numbers of people. They are also less likely to get time off, let alone paid time off, if they become mildly ill. They are also less likely to have insurance without a high deductible or, well, at all.

States need to be able to provide health care in a health care crisis.
Is he preventing them from providing healthcare OR is he is he saying the government will not pay for it. There is a difference.

Upvote 0

Skewpoint

Jul 11, 2019
USA
✟72,362.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
We may yet be deluged with infections but at this time we're actually not in bad shape compared to other countries.
We're like half a mile into a marathon, and the other countries started yesterday. Saying we're not in bad shape now is just straight naivete.

• Agree
Reactions: Innsmuthbride
Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,106,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We may yet be deluged with infections but at this time we're actually not in bad shape compared to other countries.
We may not be in better shape if more isn't done to find people who are infected and quarantine them. If Italy had been proactive from their first case they wouldn't be in the shape they are in.

Please look at this article and graph of responses in other countries. Singapore still has fewer cases than we do and their first case was less than 5 days from when the first case was reported in China.

Singapore Wins Praise For Its COVID-19 Strategy. The U.S. Does Not

Reactions: JCFantasy23
Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟894,529.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I read that Trump has declared a national state of emergency, so now states are permitted more resources.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
We may not be in better shape if more isn't done to find people who are infected and quarantine them. If Italy had been proactive from their first case they wouldn't be in the shape they are in.

Please look at this article and graph of responses in other countries. Singapore still has fewer cases than we do and their first case was less than 5 days from when the first case was reported in China.

Of course their infection rate would be smaller. At the first sign of disease they don surgical masks, which is discouraged in the U.S. for some unknown reason. It is the height of irresponsibility to suggest that masks don't reduce the spread of viruses.

Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,402,603.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I read that Trump has declared a national state of emergency, so now states are permitted more resources.
Yes, I was just watching the news and they said that the President is expected to address the nation and announce the National emergency.

• Agree
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,106,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Of course their infection rate would be smaller. At the first sign of disease they don surgical masks, which is discouraged in the U.S. for some unknown reason. It is the height of irresponsibility to suggest that masks don't reduce the spread of viruses.
I agree. They also began testing in large numbers, not just people that already had symptoms.

That's what Hong Kong and Singapore did.

Both quickly set up systems to try to identify and treat every case in their territory. Hong Kong developed diagnostic tests and rapidly deployed them to labs at every major hospital in the city. At one point in February, Hong Kong had 12,000 people in quarantine. Singapore's prime minister called for calm and assured residents that all health care related to the disease would be free.

Upvote 0

evoeth

Man trying to figure things out
Mar 5, 2014
✟130,357.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟894,529.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Hmmm. I think Trump has an opportunity to trim some of the "useless Americans" out. I wonder if he is going to try to support them and provide for them OR just let them get sick.
Well for the most part for most people this virus is fairly mild; really the people who have the most to worry about are the same people that have to really worry about the flu.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟894,529.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
My understanding is they are discouraging it because they need those masks for healthcare workers and maybe people who otherwise have something to worry about like if they have preexisting conditions.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,106,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My understanding is they are discouraging it because they need those masks for healthcare workers and maybe people who otherwise have something to worry about like if they have preexisting conditions.
So do other countries need masks for their healthcare workers, etc.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟365,748.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Well for the most part for most people this virus is fairly mild; really the people who have the most to worry about are the same people that have to really worry about the flu.
Except they have to worry WAY more about Covid.
5e6a7b2584159f1962421227

And these numbers are gentler than the others I've seen:

ESYlahhUEAA8qpC.jpg

FAR greater chance of death.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟894,529.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
So do other countries need masks for their healthcare workers, etc.
I would think so but with the only two exceptions being China ( which is reporting fewer new cases and India other countries have fewer people not to mention we have people that are taking masks that do not need them.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟894,529.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Except they have to worry WAY more about Covid.
5e6a7b2584159f1962421227

And these numbers are gentler than the others I've seen:

ESYlahhUEAA8qpC.jpg

FAR greater chance of death.
Did not say otherwise I just said that they were the same group of people

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟141,253.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Wait two hours - the OP will be yet another useless complaint by the left media to cause fear. It's time they stop using fear to push a political agenda.
Odd that the first post complaining about the virus being politicized is yours...complaining about the virus being politicized.

Upvote 0