East Ohio
✟7,957.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So, I get shunned from a family member because I don't support gay marriage. I mean, wow. You'd of thought I was running a death camp. But I guess Christians have faced far worse persecution for saying their beliefs. Still, I'll avoid lions at the zoo for the time being.

**edit: additional**

I'm hit with the sentiment, "People should just be allowed to be happy." I wonder, is there a fundamental difference between this sentiment and Antoine LeVay's quote from the satanic bible, "Do what thou will shall be the whole of the law"?

Both suggest a "tolerant" world where as long as everything is done for the purpose of happiness, than that is the only morality. A world free of judgement, and sin, and wrong doing, because without righteousness, morality, and judgement, it's a free for all. Happiness is enlightenment, and any of the "squares" who oppose something they find immoral are guilty of the greatest sin, intolerance. So much so they must be ridiculed, discredited, disrespected, and alienated. Shame them into silence or cut them out completely. Purge them like a cancerous tumor on the flesh of a tolerant and guilt-free body.

Last edited:
Reactions: seashale76

Rajni

☯ Ego ad Eum pertinent ☯
Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2007
Visit site
✟1,241,508.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Single
So, I get shunned from a family member because I don't support gay marriage. I mean, wow. You'd of thought I was running a death camp. But I guess Christians have faced far worse persecution for saying their beliefs. Still, I'll avoid lions at the zoo for the time being.

I'm hit with the sentiment, "People should just be allowed to be happy." I wonder, is there a fundamental difference between this sentiment and Antoine LeVay's quote from the satanic bible, "Do what thou will shall be the whole of the law"?

Both suggest a "tolerant" world where as long as everything is done for the purpose of happiness, than that is the only morality. A world free of judgement, and sin, and wrong doing, because without righteousness, morality, and judgement, it's a free for all. Happiness is enlightenment, and any of the "squares" who oppose something they find immoral are guilty of the greatest sin, intolerance. So much so they must be ridiculed, discredited, disrespected, and alienated. Shame them into silence or cut them out completely. Purge them like a cancerous tumor on the flesh of a tolerant and guilt-free body.
To be honest, it works both ways, in that those with more
conservative views have shunned those with more liberal ones as well.

It probably has more to do with how secure the individual is in their
own beliefs while facing opposing beliefs.

The only instance where I would think shunning—or, at the very least, imiting
one's exposure to—someone is probably justified is if they are constantly
shoving their beliefs in the other's face. Limiting exposure to that sort of
behavior is just exercising good boundaries in an attempt to maintain a
semblance of sanity. :)

-

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Other scholars got to me before you did!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,264.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

sorednax,

Just hang in there, because as you already know, the 'shunning' response is the way of the world. Jesus got shunned, and He said we would be shunned as well...because we affiliate with Him.

As far as the situation with your family member, say what you need to say, but always do it with care and gentleness.

[By the way, Stryper rocks!!!!]

Peace

Upvote 0

football5680

Feb 6, 2013
Georgia
✟90,322.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Just state the truth and don't pay attention to what people think. God is the highest authority and only he can judge us. The earliest Christians were persecuted because they refused to conform to the practices and beliefs of the people around them so we should do the same today. Many willingly went to their deaths for refusing to conform and for us the stakes are nowhere near as high.

Upvote 0