State of emergency in the Philippines: Muslim terrorist's take hostages in Church, behead police...

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟425,624.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Lord have mercy. :crossrc:

I heard some interesting background on the situation from a Filipino person on Reddit yesterday. The way The Philippines were grouped together by the Spanish some 400 years ago was kind of haphazard, and while most of the country converted to Christianity there was a small band of Muslims in the south who became increasingly radical and militant over time. Islam became closely woven in with this ethnic groups identity, which radicalized them further, and by now whatever iteration of this group it is, they've pledged their allegiance to ISIS. According to this person, each time a treaty would be struck, a more radical group would splinter off and continue fighting.

Apparently Duterte had to institute martial law to put an end to this. Hopefully it comes to a swift and decisive end without any more innocent blood shed.

Upvote 0

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sadly to many filipinos don't seem worried about it. I am really surprised at that. My wife isn't to worried about it. Her friend whos from that island where its happening isn't to worried about her family because her family is at the other end of the island. Its weird. But then again I guess we are like that in america too. I live near the great lakes. So lets say theres a crazy situation in California, maybe I'm like "Oh man thats terrible!". But I never think of it coming to my state. Though we do seem to care about lost life.

The filipinos I know.... they seem split on it. Maybe its a bit of "Well its not in my backyard so I don't care!" kind thing. And sadly I tried mentioning to the american men of these women "If we just sent in some spec op forces of our there, we could have wiped out the extremist long ago!". But the guys were just like "I don't care, its not our problem! America needs to worry about America!".

Which yes, I do agree to some extent. But filipinos put up with alot of hard stuff there. We could help them and it wouldn't cost much at all. Just last year when the police on that island went to go to one of the muslim fort (sort of place) to arrest one who was wanted. THey took like 50 police officers. As they crossed the field to the door, the muslims opened fire and killed like more then half of the cops. In america if that happened we would have wiped them out already.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,646,391.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
But why are we super concerned about Manchester or France and when this happens in the Phillippines it gets little response. In a church no less. It is like the priest that was kidnapped in India and is being held by ISIS... Last time I posted a prayer thread on him and he made a video pleading for help, no response at all. Seems very unbalanced to me. Either we are concerned or we are not. I just find it very odd.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But why are we super concerned about Manchester or France and when this happens in the Phillippines it gets little response. In a church no less. It is like the priest that was kidnapped in India and is being held by ISIS... Last time I posted a prayer thread on him and he made a video pleading for help, no response at all. Seems very unbalanced to me. Either we are concerned or we are not. I just find it very odd.

I have a sneaky suspicion that when a church, specifically, is taken over, it creates less of a stir in the media than when a bomb goes off at a sporting event, or cafe. Or when there's a shooting at a gay bar.

When Christians are targeted for being Christians, I've noticed the media is largely silent.

• Agree
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,646,391.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have a sneaky suspicion that when a church, specifically, is taken over, it creates less of a stir in the media than when a bomb goes off at a sporting event, or cafe. Or when there's a shooting at a gay bar.

When Christians are targeted for being Christians, I've noticed the media is largely silent.
And a lot of fellow Christians too.

• Agree
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

Galilee63

Dec 14, 2013
Australia
✟43,924.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
There have been many prayers said daily for a year for Father Uzhanalill Michie I included him to Jesus God and The Holy Spirit in Jesus Divine Mercy and To Mother Mary daily over the past year trust in Jesus He is there for Father

What I am meaning is that we don't know if a fellow Catholic or Christian around the world is praying and continuing to pray for certain people and causes yet I know that within Jesus Divine Mercy Novena of which Jesus gives His Mercy with God and The Holy Spirit and thru Mother Mary too btw that all Priests and His Religious are included weekly by millions of people worldwide and so many Catholics here pray to God His Divine Mercy

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,646,391.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There have been many prayers said daily for a year for Father Uzhanalill Michie I included him to Jesus God and The Holy Spirit in Jesus Divine Mercy and To Mother Mary daily over the past year trust in Jesus He is there for Father

What I am meaning is that we don't know if a fellow Catholic or Christian around the world is praying and continuing to pray for certain people and causes yet I know that within Jesus Divine Mercy Novena of which Jesus gives His Mercy with God and The Holy Spirit and thru Mother Mary too btw that all Priests and His Religious are included weekly by millions of people worldwide and so many Catholics here pray to God His Divine Mercy
I'm talking about the response and interest of this tiny board.

Upvote 0