Lincolnshire
✟15,351.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hi guys a question if a person worked for a church and had lots if time off in a short period due to surgery's and a death , is it ethical that they should give a verbal warning considering they knew the circumstance behind the absences considering the person is church family. Can you operate as a church and a business under the same umbrella as its a question I have been asked to deal with this for someone

Reactions: Dreger

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟938,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Hi guys a question if a person worked for a church and had lots if time off in a short period due to surgery's and a death , is it ethical that they should give a verbal warning considering they knew the circumstance behind the absences considering the person is church family. Can you operate as a church and a business under the same umbrella as its a question I have been asked to deal with this for someone

I think it is always tricky to employ a parishioner in a church role. The risk is that employee matters or discipline might cause the member/employee to leave along with their pledge, to say nothing of the reaction to others in the parish who are aligned with the employee-parishioner. Still, church leadership has a responsibility to ensure that tasks are completed and there is good stewardship oversight of monies expended for services. I think the church should function as any other workplace, but wisdom would suggest that all these things should be discussed with the parishioner before a hire is made -- that they will be dealt with as an employee as they would in any other kind of business.

Upvote 0

Doubting thomas69

May 3, 2018
Lincolnshire
✟15,351.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I think it is always tricky to employ a parishioner in a church role. The risk is that employee matters or discipline might cause the member/employee to leave along with their pledge, to say nothing of the reaction to others in the parish who are aligned with the employee-parishioner. Still, church leadership has a responsibility to ensure that tasks are completed and there is good stewardship oversight of monies expended for services. I think the church should function as any other workplace, but wisdom would suggest that all these things should be discussed with the parishioner before a hire is made -- that they will be dealt with as an employee as they would in any other kind of business.
How ever their seemed to be a dismissal of the facts to why the employee was off sick, also evidence was given to support the claim of illness and yet it was still over looked and went straight to disciplinary action

Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟938,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
In my organization, employees get one point for each random sick occurrence (not including FMLA). I can't remember what the point level is when a Verbal Warning is given, but at 8 points the employee is fired for poor attendance. Why they were sick doesn't matter.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,245.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Then I'd probably take it higher (if there's anywhere higher to go, often churches lack a decent HR function or the like). If the employee has met the requirements of the contract and is being disciplined, that's not right at all.

Upvote 0

Norbert L

Site Supporter
Mar 1, 2009
✟560,360.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I think on the practical side, if time off becomes a pattern of behavior then they'll be no shortages of opportunities to give verbal warnings.

When it comes to networking your business, in my view it would be worth the money to seek out a Christian lawyer who specializes in employment law and pay for some advice. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Upvote 0