Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2017
Finland
✟131,729.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
People in institutions like that are sometimes victims of tragic circumstances. Many have been badly treated by evil people. If they constantly have been under psychological stress and other pressure they can have had a breakdown or gotten a collapse of some sort and starvation is not a healthy way to treat a traumatic period in a persons life.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FredVB

Mar 11, 2010
America
Visit site
✟267,463.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think highly of growing food vegetables in such way, using any of the land available for it, and for subsistence it can be very much more sustainable.

Open Heart said:
1. We are not going to be able to grow enough food; and the food we are going to be able to grow is going to be increasingly less nutritious as we deplete our top soil.
2. This will not solve other problems of overpopulation, such as the water shortage, which is far more immanent.

Is this to suggest that we can't possibly do enough to solve things, so we shouldn't bother doing anything which we can do for betterment? That is not good to think. Every individual's full efforts to contribution to betterment will matter, that shouldn't be dismissed, anymore than an individual's vote, which would matter less than that.

"We are not going to be able to grow enough food."

If that is so, it is most certain with us depending on animal agriculture, which takes most of the land, water, and resources, instead of using it all for simply growing what we can have for food and materials directly which would be more immediately available and be much more efficient in providing those, not to mention would contribute to what would be a much more healthy way that people can eat.

"food we are going to be able to grow is going to be increasingly less nutritious as we deplete our top soil."

Issues with growing crops can be dealt with in a number of ways, including strategies that vary from monocultures. Animal agriculture on the other hand is increasingly producing what is unhealthier for us, and it does not eliminate such problems.

"This will not solve other problems of overpopulation, such as the water shortage, which is far more immanent."

Simply growing what we can have for food and materials instead of depending on animal agriculture would contribute less to problems of overpopulation, and about water available for use, far far more water is used to keep animal agriculture going than would be used otherwise, that is the significant reality.

visionary said:
God provides. ... faith to do His Way, and let Him work out the details is better than any climate change plan for the CO2 exhalers.

As is noted, there are conditions, and rather than depending on Yahweh providing, no matter what we do, it is called for us to live in much more responsible ways, with godliness after repentance to our wrong ways, with obedience in what Yahweh calls for us to do.

Upvote 0

BukiRob

Dec 14, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
✟50,619.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Is this to suggest that we can't possibly do enough to solve things, so we shouldn't bother doing anything which we can do for betterment? That is not good to think. Every individual's full efforts to contribution to betterment will matter, that shouldn't be dismissed, anymore than an individual's vote, which would matter less than that.

"We are not going to be able to grow enough food."

If that is so, it is most certain with us depending on animal agriculture, which takes most of the land, water, and resources, instead of using it all for simply growing what we can have for food and materials directly which would be more immediately available and be much more efficient in providing those, not to mention would contribute to what would be a much more healthy way that people can eat.

"food we are going to be able to grow is going to be increasingly less nutritious as we deplete our top soil."

Issues with growing crops can be dealt with in a number of ways, including strategies that vary from monocultures. Animal agriculture on the other hand is increasingly producing what is unhealthier for us, and it does not eliminate such problems.

"This will not solve other problems of overpopulation, such as the water shortage, which is far more immanent."

Simply growing what we can have for food and materials instead of depending on animal agriculture would contribute less to problems of overpopulation, and about water available for use, far far more water is used to keep animal agriculture going than would be used otherwise, that is the significant reality.

As is noted, there are conditions, and rather than depending on Yahweh providing, no matter what we do, it is called for us to live in much more responsible ways, with godliness after repentance to our wrong ways, with obedience in what Yahweh calls for us to do.

We already grow enough food

Multiple studies show this We Already Grow Enough Food For 10 Billion People -- and Still Can't End Hunger | HuffPost

I am VERY dubious of reports that soil depletion is so bad that the food we produce is not nutritious. I know some very large scale farmers and they will laugh at this assertion.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Roseonathorn

Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2017
Finland
✟131,729.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
When God created the world and told Adam and Eve to rule over the animals and to multiply etc. I did also understand it as to take care of it, grow things and make sure there were enough for all. I can tell You that if all unemployed people became farmers and started to grow vegetables on the rye and wheat fields we would have much more food. Why does that not happen? The stores think they have enough food in the west so they would have to leave the vegetables to rot or sell underprized and not afford to live. Teach unemployed to be a farmer where there are little to no food and they need not beg from the west nor emigrate. It is a part of sustainable missionwork. It has worked in Tanzania although potatoes taste slightly different grown in Africa than in America or Europe.

Upvote 0

Roseonathorn

Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2017
Finland
✟131,729.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I've heard that Israel have some of the best soil in the world and they converted desert so as to make it.

M-Bob
Compost and water by pipes in a controlled fashion plus the fact that temperature and a start in greenhouse with chosen seed from the biggest or best or tastiest or healthiest or bugandmoldtolerant championvegetable they can get. They are big on competing in growing.

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
40% of what is produced is thrown away, because it is ugly... what a waste!!
So true. It bothers me that the stores insist on selling certain produce in bunches too large for me to use up before it goes bad -- for example, cilantro or celery. Every time I throw away the remainder, I feel guilty.

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
Is this to suggest that we can't possibly do enough to solve things, so we shouldn't bother doing anything which we can do for betterment?
What it means is that we shouldn't be so naive as to put a bandaid on malignant melanoma. We have to be realistic, and cure the real problem, or we will be toast in not to long a time. The clock is ticking.

Upvote 0