nanookadenord

May 28, 2016
Florida
✟47,565.00
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
I have to provide health insurance for my kids along with child support. Up until recently none of the jobs that I had offered health insurance, so my kids remained on medicaid. However, this EMT job does offer health insurance.

I'm starting to panic because the price of the insurance is more than half of my income each month. I honestly cannot afford it, but because the price of it is combined with child support is under 60% the state doesn't care. On top of the premium, the deductible is $5000 for an individual and $9500 total for the kids and I. Up until the deductible is met, I am responsible for all costs up until that deductible is met.

I have been told to get another job. My hours at my current job is such that it makes getting a second job impossible unless I work 7 days a week and take time that I spend with my kids away from my kids and I am not willing to do that as know they need their daddy's time.

I am feeling quite discouraged, defeated and panicking. I'm not sure how I can afford this and live too. I still have to buy food, pay my car payment, car insurance, rent and other monetary responsibilities.

I guess I am also feeling like this is unfair. They are taking more than half my income. If it was closer to 25% or 30% it wouldn't be so bad.

I don't mind paying child support or for their insurance, but this is just too much to pay.

I don't know what to do...

nanookadenord

May 28, 2016
Florida
✟47,565.00
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
It is a bad system. Can you talk their mother into demanding less of you?

Their mom has never asked anything of me in this regard. She never wanted child support. She knows if they need it, I'll get it, however, because the kids are on medicaid, she was forced by the state to file for child support and now that I have a job offering insurance, I am required to do that as well.

She does not want any of this, but the state doesn't care. They just want the kids off of medicaid.

Upvote 0

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Their mom has never asked anything of me in this regard. She never wanted child support. She knows if they need it, I'll get it, however, because the kids are on medicaid, she was forced by the state to file for child support and now that I have a job offering insurance, I am required to do that as well.

She does not want any of this, but the state doesn't care. They just want the kids off of medicaid.

I mean the child support part. Could she return some or all of what you've been ordered to pay to you?

Reactions: Northern Star
Upvote 0

nanookadenord

May 28, 2016
Florida
✟47,565.00
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
I mean the child support part. Could she return some or all of what you've been ordered to pay to you?

I have never asked for her to do that although I have thought about it.

She would, but I would rather she didn't. Not sure that makes sense, but I would rather they have child support each month.

Upvote 0

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian
Upvote 0