nanookadenord

May 28, 2016
Florida
✟47,565.00
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
I have to provide health insurance for my kids along with child support. Up until recently none of the jobs that I had offered health insurance, so my kids remained on medicaid. However, this EMT job does offer health insurance.

I'm starting to panic because the price of the insurance is more than half of my income each month. I honestly cannot afford it, but because the price of it is combined with child support is under 60% the state doesn't care. On top of the premium, the deductible is $5000 for an individual and $9500 total for the kids and I. Up until the deductible is met, I am responsible for all costs up until that deductible is met.

I have been told to get another job. My hours at my current job is such that it makes getting a second job impossible unless I work 7 days a week and take time that I spend with my kids away from my kids and I am not willing to do that as know they need their daddy's time.

I am feeling quite discouraged, defeated and panicking. I'm not sure how I can afford this and live too. I still have to buy food, pay my car payment, car insurance, rent and other monetary responsibilities.

I guess I am feeling like this is unfair. They are taking more than half my income. If it was closer to 25% or 30% it wouldn't be so bad.

I don't know what to do...

Last edited:

nanookadenord

May 28, 2016
Florida
✟47,565.00
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Don't worry about the things of this world because it passes by with time. The most important thing to understand is that this first generation is only temporary so death of the body has no bearing on your eternal existence in God. So relax and enjoy what you can despite what appears to be the end of the road for you.

I have survived two divorces, two bankruptcies, and debt up to my ears at times but now I have peace in my heart knowing that this is only temporary. When my body dies, I will instantly wake up in new bodies on a new earth as promised by our Creator.

So don't look at your financial problems as the end of the rope. You will get past it and then you will experience the death of your body which is something we all have to endure during this temporary age.

One of the things you can do in this world when you're in financial trouble is to get some knowledge about what to do about it. Here's a website you can check out but you will need to research, study and learn to deal with it. If you don't, then you will remain in fear. Lack of knowledge causes fear. How to Pay Bills When You Can't Pay Your Bills - NerdWallet

Thank you for your response.

I should have asked that no one state this is only temporary as you did as my mind doesn't work that way. Never has and never will. I must still live in this world and pay for things that are needed.

I was just starting to get my life back in order, I was able to pay my child support and my other financial responsibilities. Then this hits.

I don't mind paying child support and for their insurance, but the state puts too high a limit and makes it hard for the one paying to be able to live.

Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Do you know God through personal Bible study? God is trustworthy to take care of you and your family. The problem is when we do not trust him to take care of us and our families. Bad things still happen to those that trust God. At such times, we need to renew our faith in God—that he will work everything out in the long-run. Everyone goes through times of uncertainty and suffering in their lives. What makes it all worthwhile is sticking close to God through it all. He is always helping those that are devoted to him, whether we can see it or not.

Trusting God is practical advice, except that if we don't have that level of faith, we still struggle trying to figure out what to do. Persist in asking God for wisdom and help. Humble yourself before him. Acknowledge you can't make it all work without him choosing to help you. I've had to face the prospect of not having health insurance in the past (and I haven't had good health for most of my life). At that time it was impossible for me to voluntarily take the step of living without insurance. At this point I think I could take the step of not paying insurance premiums, and trusting that God would take care of me, even if bills for health care kept piling up—but it took a long time to get to this place.

I can't say not having insurance is a good idea, but perhaps you could look for low-cost catastrophic insurance, and then expect to pay for non-catastrophic healthcare needs yourself. Presumably this would give you more disposable income to meet your immediate needs. Give control of every area of your life to Jesus. Yield to him that what He decides, you will accept and deal with it as best you can with his help. Devote yourself to him. Daily, study the Bible and pray, maintain the discipline of fasting and regularly talk with other Christians about Jesus.

Upvote 0

nanookadenord

May 28, 2016
Florida
✟47,565.00
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Do you know God through personal Bible study? God is trustworthy to take care of you and your family. The problem is when we do not trust him to take care of us and our families. Bad things still happen to those that trust God. At such times, we need to renew our faith in God—that he will work everything out in the long-run. Everyone goes through times of uncertainty and suffering in their lives. What makes it all worthwhile is sticking close to God through it all. He is always helping those that are devoted to him, whether we can see it or not.

Trusting God is practical advice, except that if we don't have that level of faith, we still struggle trying to figure out what to do. Persist in asking God for wisdom and help. Humble yourself before him. Acknowledge you can't make it all work without him choosing to help you. I've had to face the prospect of not having health insurance in the past (and I haven't had good health for most of my life). At that time it was impossible for me to voluntarily take the step of living without insurance. At this point I think I could take the step of not paying insurance premiums, and trusting that God would take care of me, even if bills for health care kept piling up—but it took a long time to get to this place.

I can't say not having insurance is a good idea, but perhaps you could look for low-cost catastrophic insurance, and then expect to pay for non-catastrophic healthcare needs yourself. Presumably this would give you more disposable income to meet your immediate needs. Give control of every area of your life to Jesus. Yield to him that what He decides, you will accept and deal with it as best you can with his help. Devote yourself to him. Daily, study the Bible and pray, maintain the discipline of fasting and regularly talk with other Christians about Jesus.

It's not a matter of not having insurance. I am being forced by the state to provide health insurance for my kid's that I get through my employer. Low cost non-catastrophic insurance is not an option. I have to pay the price for the insurance provided through my employer or go to jail, lose my driver's license and EMT license for not providing the insurance.

Also, I am hypoglycemic and cannot fast. The other things I already do.

Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I see. It really does sound like a situation where you need to lean on God to help you. While it is a bad situation, leaning on God will eventually have good results. You need to choose to trust him, and leave things you have no control of in his hands, though. This is different than throwing one's hands up and saying "I guess it's up to you God!" It is a choice made with the faith that God will do something.

I only mentioned fasting in an effort to list ways to stay devoted to and focused on God (spiritual disciplines). If you wanted to fast, it could take other forms, such as eating only bland, tasteless food for a period of time. If you are already doing the other things (Bible study, pray), then I suggest looking up verses about how God takes care of us and provides for our needs. Believe them. Eject thoughts contrary to them. That is a part of our spiritual battle.

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Don't worry about the things of this world because it passes by with time. The most important thing to understand is that this first generation is only temporary so death of the body has no bearing on your eternal existence in God. So relax and enjoy what you can despite what appears to be the end of the road for you.

I have survived two divorces, two bankruptcies, and debt up to my ears at times but now I have peace in my heart knowing that this is only temporary. When my body dies, I will instantly wake up in new bodies on a new earth as promised by our Creator.

So don't look at your financial problems as the end of the rope. You will get past it and then you will experience the death of your body which is something we all have to endure during this temporary age.

One of the things you can do in this world when you're in financial trouble is to get some knowledge about what to do about it. Here's a website you can check out but you will need to research, study and learn to deal with it. If you don't, then you will remain in fear. Lack of knowledge causes fear. How to Pay Bills When You Can't Pay Your Bills - NerdWallet
So your advise is : dont worry....you'll be dead soon?

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So what some of these posters are saying is tight but right. But I'll tell you what I've experienced.

About 14 years ago, I bought a house that I couldn't afford and shortly after, lost the job I had. My monthly expenses was about 3000 plus whatever food I could eat. No income, no savings, no family to help..just me and bills. I did everything could to help myself. I even foolishly took a 15k loan to get some certifications, which i thought would help me get a job faster... I did get one but I made less than Half what i was making before. I was always religious. I got to a point where i just gave up.... I said "the lord giveth and the lord taketh away....but blessed be the name of the Lord". I told Him he can take the house....I didnt care anymore...

Then strange things started happening.. Government sent an property tax refund check off a few hundred dollars.... The utilities company sent a letter stating that i was over paying them, with estimated bills, so i didnt have to pay for the next year because of a large negative balance. The job that paid half as much as my last job now gave me twice as much... etc.... The impossible became possible....... The impossible happened. I now have everything I had then plus a lot more...

The only thing standing in the way was ME. Once I cast my cares on HIM and got out of the way... He took over and ordered my steps! He even wiped out that 15k loan I took on some technicality that I didnt even understand.

And why did he do this for me? So that I could tell YOU what He did. God is Good. And He is waiting for you to let Him fix it....And he will wait as long and you want Him to wait.

---------
Ushers, please pass around the offering plate for my speakers offering. Deacons, when you are done counting it up and putting it in the envelope........Please pass it to the OP'er Thanks

Upvote 0

Kit Sigmon

May 18, 2016
USA
✟76,189.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I have to provide health insurance for my kids along with child support. Up until recently none of the jobs that I had offered health insurance, so my kids remained on medicaid. However, this EMT job does offer health insurance.

I'm starting to panic because the price of the insurance is more than half of my income each month. I honestly cannot afford it, but because the price of it is combined with child support is under 60% the state doesn't care. On top of the premium, the deductible is $5000 for an individual and $9500 total for the kids and I. Up until the deductible is met, I am responsible for all costs up until that deductible is met.

I have been told to get another job. My hours at my current job is such that it makes getting a second job impossible unless I work 7 days a week and take time that I spend with my kids away from my kids and I am not willing to do that as know they need their daddy's time.

I am feeling quite discouraged, defeated and panicking. I'm not sure how I can afford this and live too. I still have to buy food, pay my car payment, car insurance, rent and other monetary responsibilities.

I guess I am feeling like this is unfair. They are taking more than half my income. If it was closer to 25% or 30% it wouldn't be so bad.

I don't know what to do...

Ask your church, family, friends for help/advice on finding a place that's cheaper rent.

In times past I've tapped such resources as food pantries, participated in community garden, sought help at Salvation Army, church, did some patio gardening, fished and hunted when I was close to a forest or pond...my parents were poor, so I learned early in life how to fish, hunt, can food, grow my own veggies.
Your local library has books on all of that, check it out and put that into practice.
Shop sales, use coupons, buy from used clothing stores, yard sales, GoodWill.
The only things I won't buy used is underwears and shoes...I buy those items on sale/or clearance.

Upvote 0