Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Fairly laid back for us. We are spending it with my grown daughter and her young man. That's the best part. :)

She and I are each cooking about half - I'll do the turkey and breads and a few things that go with that, probably some cookies I've been wanting to make that she likes. She's doing potatoes, veggies, and other desserts. There will be pie. ;)

The only part I really don't like are the Black Friday sales that are now moving into Thursday afternoon. We are eating early because she thinks she needs to catch some of them if she's going to afford gifts this year. I'd rather she not get me anything and apply that money to whoever else's and just relax and enjoy the rest of the day with me.

I'm seriously thinking of boycotting any store that does its sale so that you have to show up on Thanksgiving. Of course I don't spend much anyway, but I'm considering writing them a letter and letting them know what I think of getting people to sacrifice family time for the sake of a few bucks. :thumbsdown: If I do, I think it will be the first time I've written a letter like that.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,670,073.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Whats on the menu?
Turkey, stuffing, potatoes (sweet and regular). A couple of veggie casseroles, cheese ball and crackers, deviled eggs, gravy, a couple of desserts. All small portions of each.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

longhair75

Searching once more
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2004
omaha
✟157,439.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I made the last grocery stops on the way home from work.

It will just be the four of us for dinner.

I am cooking:
roast chickens stuffed with my French bread stuffing
giblet gravy
parmesan garlic mashed Yukon Gold potatoes
my take on green bean casserole (not the one on the Frenches fake onion package)
scratch yeast rolls
my grandmother's chocolate cake
Served with my last two bottles of Wild Horse Unbridled 2013 Pinot Noir

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,670,073.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I made the last grocery stops on the way home from work.

It will just be the four of us for dinner.

I am cooking:
roast chickens stuffed with my French bread stuffing
giblet gravy
parmesan garlic mashed Yukon Gold potatoes
my take on green bean casserole (not the one on the Frenches fake onion package)
scratch yeast rolls
my grandmother's chocolate cake
Served with my last two bottles of Wild Horse Unbridled 2013 Pinot Noir
What is your recipe for green bean casserole?

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I did my shopping today too.

I'm making turkey, cornbread dressing, gravy, dinner rolls, fruit ambrosia, probably chocolate no-bake cookies. Not sure who is doing mashed potatoes and I've got a couple kinds of cranberry relish/sauce. My daughter is making sweet potato casserole, green bean casserole, pumpkin pie, and another dessert. Maybe another vegetable.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

longhair75

Searching once more
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2004
omaha
✟157,439.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Michie asked:
What is your recipe for green bean casserole?

This year I am starting with lightly breaded sliced red shallots fried until just crispy in olive oil. and set aside. I will then make a Bechamel sauce of butter, flour, heavy cream and salt. Once that starts to thicken I add thinly sliced and sauteed mushrooms and red shallots. I simmer the fresh green beans in chicken stock for fifteen minutes or so. I saute finely chopped carrots, green onions and celery in butter and olive oil until tender. I mix the green beans, sauce, sauteed vegetables and add some of the chicken stock for consistency, spread the lightly fried shallots over the top and then just put it in the oven until it is hot.

No one specified low calorie.........

Upvote 0

longhair75

Searching once more
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2004
omaha
✟157,439.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The French bread stuffing is still a work in progress. I am starting with baguettes from Le Quartierre, a local French bakery, fresh Italian parsley, sage, green onion, shallots, carrots, celery, tarragon and chicken stock.

I don't care what Alton Brown says. My stuffing needs to be cooked inside the birds. The flavor difference is enormous.

Reactions: eastcoast_bsc
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,670,073.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That sounds really good! Definitely not low calorie! Lol!
Michie asked:

This year I am starting with lightly breaded sliced red shallots fried until just crispy in olive oil. and set aside. I will then make a Bechamel sauce of butter, flour, heavy cream and salt. Once that starts to thicken I add thinly sliced and sauteed mushrooms and red shallots. I simmer the fresh green beans in chicken stock for fifteen minutes or so. I saute finely chopped carrots, green onions and celery in butter and olive oil until tender. I mix the green beans, sauce, sauteed vegetables and add some of the chicken stock for consistency, spread the lightly fried shallots over the top and then just put it in the oven until it is hot.

No one specified low calorie.........

Upvote 0