✟24,645.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I have recently started attending a new church, which identifies itself as
"pre-denominational" and affiliates with the Restoration Movement. A few things that I have liked about the new church is the call to repentance and salvation at every service, communion at every service, as well as an opportunity for baptism at every service. In some ways, even though the church is only about 1,000 or so members, it feels kinda mega-churchy, which I am not super fond of. The main reason I started attending this new church is that it is the only one in my area that offers a special needs ministry for my emotionally impaired son. The church I am leaving was loosely affiliated with the SBC.

Can anyone give some ideas of what I might expect from a Restoration Movement church. The only prior experience I had with RM was a friend who was involved in a CoC, but this church seems radically different (at least in worship style) to what he always described.

Reactions: Jane_Doe

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
"pre-denominational" and affiliates with the Restoration Movement. A few things that I have liked about the new church is the call to repentance and salvation at every service, communion at every service, as well as an opportunity for baptism at every service. In some ways, even though the church is only about 1,000 or so members, it feels kinda mega-churchy, which I am not super fond of. The main reason I started attending this new church is that it is the only one in my area that offers a special needs ministry for my emotionally impaired son. The church I am leaving was loosely affiliated with the SBC.

Can anyone give some ideas of what I might expect from a Restoration Movement church. The only prior experience I had with RM was a friend who was involved in a CoC, but this church seems radically different (at least in worship style) to what he always described.
I'm afraid I can't answer your question. But your description gets my interest on a few points so that I'm curious. What is the worship style there like?

Upvote 0

Kersh

Jan 23, 2016
Michigan
✟24,645.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'm afraid I can't answer your question. But your description gets my interest on a few points so that I'm curious. What is the worship style there like?

It's contemporary music with a full worship band. Typical service is 2-3 songs, followed by communion, then another song, then sermon, then invitation/altar call, then announcements, offering, and final song.

The order varies from week to week, but that is a pretty typical service. My CoC friend described services with no instrumental music at all, and I guess I had assumed that that was a RM thing.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It's contemporary music with a full worship band. Typical service is 2-3 songs, followed by communion, then another song, then sermon, then invitation/altar call, then announcements, offering, and final song.

The order varies from week to week, but that is a pretty typical service. My CoC friend described services with no instrumental music at all, and I guess I had assumed that that was a RM thing.
Thank you. I was curious, since some aspects do sound aligned with the early Church. But I am surprised too they would use the worship model you describe. Without instruments would be closer. Though when that's a point only for legalism's sake, I don't think it's a good one. I was very curious though. Thank you for explaining.

I pray you find what you need. God be with you.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
It is. I would wonder what kind of church you attended. It might have been a branch of the restorationist movement, but it is not typically CoC.

Upvote 0

Kersh

Jan 23, 2016
Michigan
✟24,645.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It is. I would wonder what kind of church you attended. It might have been a branch of the restorationist movement, but it is not typically CoC.

The church that I've been going to does not call itself Church of Christ or anything. It says it is part of the Restoration Movement. I was just saying that CoC is really the only knowledge I had of the RM until I started attending this church.

Reactions: Albion
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Yes, you're right! I'm not Gandalf!
Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,126,163.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Hi Kersh,

During my time as a Christian I've been affiliated with both the SBC and the Christian Church/Instrumental. The major differences you'll find in the Christian Church when compared to the typical Southern Baptist are:

* Weekly Communion
* Amillennial leanings in eschatology rather than toward Dispensational/Rapture leanings (although this isn't to say that they'll kick you if you are Dispensational or Premillennial).
* Requirement for baptism as a part of salvation
* Belief that a person can turn away from his or her salvation; it's not once saved always saved (although they think it's fairly hard to loose since God chases us in His Providence).
* Each church congregation is independent of the others, even if they hold to a kind of mutual partnership with other Christian Churches in the Restoration Movement; so no governmental convention such as the Southern Baptists have.​

And these are the basic differences. Otherwise, they're somewhat similar in doctrine to the SBC, which isn't surprising since the Campbell/Stone era of the Restoration Movement (back in the 1800s) was affiliated with some Baptists for a short time.

Moreover, there are now three general segments of the Restoration Church Movement (but all of them trace their affiliation back through the Campbells and a few others):

* Church of Christ (which is typically very fundamentalistic and sings w/o instruments [in the South anyway]).
* Christian Church/Instrumental (which is firmly Bible based and evangelical [in the South]).
* Disciples of Christ/Christian Church (which is now typically the more liberal branch of the movement).​

Anyway, I hope this helps.

Peace,
2PhiloVoid

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Kersh

Jan 23, 2016
Michigan
✟24,645.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hi Kersh,

During my time as a Christian I've been affiliated with both the SBC and the Christian Church/Instrumental. The major differences you'll find in the Christian Church when compared to the typical Southern Baptist are:

* Weekly Communion
* Amillennial leanings in eschatology rather than toward Dispensational/Rapture leanings (although this isn't to say that they'll kick you if you are Dispensational or Premillennial).
* Requirement for baptism as a part of salvation
* Belief that a person can turn away from his or her salvation; it's not once saved always saved (although they think it's fairly hard to loose since God chases us in His Providence).
* Each church congregation is independent of the others, even if they hold to a kind of mutual partnership with other Christian Churches in the Restoration Movement; so no governmental convention such as the Southern Baptists have.​

And these are the basic differences. Otherwise, they're somewhat similar in doctrine to the SBC, which isn't surprising since the Campbell/Stone era of the Restoration Movement (back in the 1800s) was affiliated with some Baptists for a short time.

Moreover, there are now three general segments of the Restoration Church Movement (but all of them trace their affiliation back through the Campbells and a few others):

* Church of Christ (which is typically very fundamentalistic and sings w/o instruments [in the South anyway]).
* Christian Church/Instrumental (which is firmly Bible based and evangelical [in the South]).
* Disciples of Christ/Christian Church (which is now typically the more liberal branch of the movement).​

Anyway, I hope this helps.

Peace,
2PhiloVoid

Since they reject osas, does that mean they generally shy away from the Calvinist leanings of many SBCers?

As far as eschatology, I probably lean postmillennial or amillennial, but I have no strong feelings about it.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,126,163.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Since they reject osas, does that mean they generally shy away from the Calvinist leanings of many SBCers?
Yes, they tend to shy away from more Calvinistic type teachings, although this isn't to say that they fully subscribe to Arminian principles either.

As far as eschatology, I probably lean postmillennial or amillennial, but I have no strong feelings about it.
Well, it sounds like you'll fit in fairly nicely. And some of them at the Christian Church are a little more open to the idea that each of us comes to the Bible as individuals and that we each have some moderate latitude in our own interpreting. Of course, they will assume that it goes without saying that we can't just go all 'liberal' with our interpretations either. ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Thedictator

Retired Coach, Now Missionary to the World
Mar 21, 2010
Northeast Texas
✟50,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Do you mind giving the Name of this Church?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

2PhiloVoid

Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,126,163.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Yep, looks like a Christian Church to me. It's just that they're using the newer branding style for outreach. Cool. I hope you and you're family find a spiritual home there if it's meeting your needs. ;)

Upvote 0

Thedictator

Mar 21, 2010
Northeast Texas
✟50,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Thanks, they belong to a faith group called The Community Christian Church about 150 Churches worldwide. Historically they are not part of the Restoration Movement, ( they started in the 1990's) but they have Adopted most of the Restoration Movement principles, including the necessity of baptism. They seem to be more like the Christian Church. Even though historically they are not part of the Restoration Movement I have no problem calling them a Restoration Movement Church. Welcome to our family.

Upvote 0

Kersh

Jan 23, 2016
Michigan
✟24,645.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yep, looks like a Christian Church to me. It's just that they're using the newer branding style for outreach. Cool. I hope you and you're family find a spiritual home there if it's meeting your needs. ;)

So far, I am just excited to be able to take my son to church and have him treated with the same compassion I'd want for any other child. Because of his emotional impairments, it has been difficult to find children's ministry workers who have the patience to sit with him through his emotional storms. But, so far, our new church community has been wonderful with him.

Just out of curiosity: is there anything in particular about the RM or Christian Church movement that would make these churches more likely to accommodate special needs children and adults than churches in other denominations?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

2PhiloVoid

Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,126,163.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So far, I am just excited to be able to take my son to church and have him treated with the same compassion I'd want for any other child. Because of his emotional impairments, it has been difficult to find children's ministry workers who have the patience to sit with him through his emotional storms. But, so far, our new church community has been wonderful with him.

Just out of curiosity: is there anything in particular about the RM or Christian Church movement that would make these churches more likely to accommodate special needs children and adults than churches in other denominations?

Not specifically speaking, other than that some of these Christian Churches, like the one you're going to, are 'seeker sensitive' and try to be mindful that various families may have special needs. But is there anything in their theology that moves them to be like this? Only perhaps the extra emphasis they sometimes place on Jesus and on His style of ministry as it is evident in the New Testament. ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,126,163.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thanks, they belong to a faith group called The Community Christian Church about 150 Churches worldwide. Historically they are not part of the Restoration Movement, ( they started in the 1990's) but they have Adopted most of the Restoration Movement principles, including the necessity of baptism. They seem to be more like the Christian Church. Even though historically they are not part of the Restoration Movement I have no problem calling them a Restoration Movement Church. Welcome to our family.

Thank you for the added info, Thedictator. I personally wasn't aware of this neo-offshoot to our churches. When I looked at the website of the church that @Kersh is now attending, I thought it was a Christian Church. That's really kind of neat to see that some newer churches are forming with connections to the other Christian Churches, even if those connections are not necessarily super direct. I do notice that some of the faculty at @Kersh's church have attended Restoration Movement colleges.......one of them even attended the college I went to years ago.

Upvote 0

Thedictator

Mar 21, 2010
Northeast Texas
✟50,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Thank you for the added info, Thedictator. I personally wasn't aware of this neo-offshoot to our churches. When I looked at the website of the church that @Kersh is now attending, I thought it was a Christian Church. That's really kind of neat to see that some newer churches are forming with connections to the other Christian Churches, even if those connections are not necessarily super direct. I do notice that some of the faculty at @Kersh's church have attended Restoration Movement colleges.......one of them even attended the college I went to years ago.

What college did you go to, by the way I'm taking some seminary classes by internet at one of our Restoration Movement schools Sunset International Bible Institute.

Upvote 0