Midwest
✟153,209.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I’ve learned that the LCMS believes in a young earth and no evolution. That has been bothering me but now today, I was watching a news program online from the Answers in Genesis website. They said something about humans not being made out of stardust but every single thing I’ve read about this online today says that humans, all of life and even the earth is made from stardust. I assume Lutherans don’t believe this. How do you all remain LCMS when so much of what is scientifically taught goes against church teaching?

Sep 5, 2015
✟70,048.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I’ve learned that the LCMS believes in a young earth and no evolution. That has been bothering me but now today, I was watching a news program online from the Answers in Genesis website. They said something about humans not being made out of stardust but every single thing I’ve read about this online today says that humans, all of life and even the earth is made from stardust. I assume Lutherans don’t believe this. How do you all remain LCMS when so much of what is scientifically taught goes against church teaching?

The issue is much bigger than that. When you teach stardust and evolutionism you teach special creation is false. The account presented in Genesis didn't happen like the bible says it happened.
The bible says the earth was made prior to stars. This would make earth being made from stardust impossible.

To make things words if man evolved and Genesis is wrong... then there was no Adam, Eve....no Garden, no Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil, no serpent, no deception, no fall....basically no need for Jesus'.

Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟153,209.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The issue is much bigger than that. When you teach stardust and evolutionism you teach special creation is false. The account presented in Genesis didn't happen like the bible says it happened.
The bible says the earth was made prior to stars. This would make earth being made from stardust impossible.

To make things words if man evolved and Genesis is wrong... then there was no Adam, Eve....no Garden, no Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil, no serpent, no deception, no fall....basically no need for Jesus'.

But what if scientists are right.....I mean it sounds to me that they’re all in agreement, which doesn’t always happen and the theory makes sense.

Upvote 0

AMM

A Beggar
Supporter
May 2, 2017
Virginia
✟329,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
But what if scientists are right.....I mean it sounds to me that they’re all in agreement, which doesn’t always happen and the theory makes sense.
I'm not Lutheran (former LCMS, converted to Orthodoxy last year), but if I'm welcomed, I'll comment. Basically... does it matter? Christ died and rose from the dead. No, I don't believe in evolution (as it inserts death prior to the Fall), but if it turns out that God did create the world through evolution, then I'll simply say, "Lord I believe, help my unbelief!"

plus, scientists have been in agreement about things before that we now believe are false.

• Agree
Reactions: LizaMarie
Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟153,209.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm not Lutheran (former LCMS, converted to Orthodoxy last year), but if I'm welcomed, I'll comment. Basically... does it matter? Christ died and rose from the dead.

Yes, it matters because it goes against LCMS teaching.

Upvote 0

Sep 5, 2015
✟70,048.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Those same scientist also say a dead guy can't come bck to life on day 3.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AMM

A Beggar
Supporter
May 2, 2017
Virginia
✟329,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
It may go against LCMS teaching, but it isn't a matter of salvation.

This is what I love about the LCMS. It's Jesus, Jesus, and more Jesus. That's where the focus is, stays, and will be.
yep, the LCMS does not believe that it teaches infallibly. If I remember correctly, she requires that her members subscribe to Luther's Small Catechism and the Augsburg Confession, and requires that clergy subscribe to the entirety of the Book of Concord. But one can be a member in good standing and not, for example, subscribe to Walther's writings on the nature of the church and the clergy, Luther's Bondage of the Will, or Creationism, even though the LCMS teaches those things

Something I think the Lutherans and Orthodox (now that I'm EO) can both agree on is this - dogma and intellectual belief doesn't save, God's mercy saves.

Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟153,209.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It may go against LCMS teaching, but it isn't a matter of salvation.

This is what I love about the LCMS. It's Jesus, Jesus, and more Jesus. That's where the focus is, stays, and will be.

So are you saying that my belief that the scientists say we’re made of stardust is correct, it’s ok with the LCMS because it’s really all about Jesus?

Upvote 0

AMM

A Beggar
Supporter
May 2, 2017
Virginia
✟329,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
I'd be curious to see where the LCMS teaches that we are not made of stardust. I don't personally see any issues with that teaching (and as mentioned, I do believe in Creation)

and your standing is fine I believe, but that is really a conversation to have with your pastor, as he knows you and your situation better than us strangers on the internet

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟153,209.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'd be curious to see where the LCMS teaches that we are not made of stardust. I don't personally see any issues with that teaching (and as mentioned, I do believe in Creation)

and your standing is fine I believe, but that is really a conversation to have with your pastor, as he knows you and your situation better than us strangers on the internet

I think he’s getting tired of having to answer all of my questions.

Upvote 0

TKA_TN

May 23, 2018
Tennessee
✟66,366.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Meaning I, (we) don’t have to believe all the LCMS teaches as long as I (we) believe Jesus is the Son of God and my Savior?

The LCMS teaches that all bodies that proclaim the Triune God are "the church." I think someone has also stated that where the Word is preached and the Sacraments rightly administered, there the Church is.

Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟153,209.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The LCMS teaches that all bodies that proclaim the Triune God are "the church." I think someone has also stated that where the Word is preached and the Sacraments rightly administered, there the Church is.

So the answer to my question is....”yes”?

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,589.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

If everything, even the earth is made of stardust what is your objection about?

A question for you.

What authority do you believe, do you believe the bible or do you believe what men say?

Your choice is to believe the bible is true or it is not true. To b elieve in creation or in evolution, it is your choice and no there is no middle ground.

Upvote 0