• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Starbucks' plain red holiday cups stir up controversy

Discussion in 'American Politics' started by Grizzly, Nov 10, 2015.

1. GoldenBoy89

GoldenBoy89 We're Still Here

+15,188
    Humanist
    Single
    US-Democrat
    The owner is Jewish but to many Christians in the US, he might as well be an atheist, or as you say, Muslim.

2. Willtor

Willtor Not just any Willtor... The Mighty Willtor

+1,405
    Presbyterian
    Married
    US-Others
    I parsed this as, "The owner is Jewish, but to many Christians in the U.S., he might as well be an atheist (or Muslim, as you call atheists)."

It tickled me.

3. GoldenBoy89

+15,188
    Humanist
    Single
    US-Democrat
    For the most part, I agree. The"Christmas" most people are celebrating this year, or any before is the secular variation of the holiday. Snowmen, Christmas lights and trees, tinsel... nothing particularly Christian about any of those things. Which is why it's so odd to hear Christians complain about these things being taken out or removed from public display. It's like they want to have their cake and eat it too, and God help anyone that would grant the same amount of time and space to any other holiday that falls during this time year. No, it's gotta be all Jesus all, the time. Everywhere. That's why snowmen on paper cups are so important to the celebration.

Where exactly are you going with this. Both points you've made so far are plainly obvious. All I said was that Christmas is not a season... That's just a fact. The seasons are spring, summer, fall and winter. There's no additional seasons that I'm aware of. Christmas is one holiday that falls on one day in the middle of one of those four seasons. And the only reason it's dragged out so long is for the Almighty Dollar. That is the true meaning of Christmas in the US and the only reason anybody really cares about Christmas outside of Christianity, and even then....

Again, I find it odd that Christians would try so hard to defend such a farce of a holiday, especially when you consider everything the bible says about money and material possessions. Forget about the idolatry and pagan iconography.

I personally call the secular version, "crissmiss." Takes the "Christ" right out of it.

Well that to me, sounds more like a failing of the church. Not something to blame on secularists and non-Christians who aren't under any seasonal obligation to help the poor.

And that's perfectly fine with me.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2015
  4. GoldenBoy89

+15,188
    Humanist
    Single
    US-Democrat
    Hmmm.... I think you're right.

It holds true either way! :D

My point was that if you aren't a Christian, you might as well worship Satan.

5. pakicetus

pakicetus sternodraugaz

+1,867
    Lutheran
    It doesn't even matter if there's a "War on Christmas" unless there's some chance Christmas will lose. What are people even worried about? One day, Starbucks has nondescript cups; the next day, the most popular holiday in America disappears?

6. GoldenBoy89

+15,188
    Humanist
    Single
    US-Democrat
    If what they are defending is the secular version, then I'd say CHRISTmas already lost a long time ago.

7. Willtor

+1,405
    Presbyterian
    Married
    US-Others
    In some sense. Since there are Christians fighting for snowflakes on coffee cups, it's pretty clear they are fighting for crissmis (as you call it), and not Christmas. But there are still quite a lot of us who tend to think a lot more about Jesus and the circumstances and events surrounding his incarnation. It's still true that most of us also celebrate crissmis, too.

8. katherine2001

katherine2001 Veteran

+965
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    I agree with you here. Most Protestants will be in church on Easter Sunday. On the other hand, here in the US, at least some churches will cancel Sunday services next year when Christmas falls on Sunday (if the times that Christmas has fallen on Sunday in this new century are any indication). I've yet to see a church cancel Sunday services because it is Easter (Pascha).

9. craigerNY

craigerNY I bring nothing to the table

+355
    Agnostic
    Single
    It seems like every year the winter gets a little colder, my belt gets a little tighter, bedtime gets a little earlier and Christmas comes a little sooner. Maybe it's the colder, tighter belt, earlier bedtime that makes me less enthusiastic or maybe the fake war on Christmas has been getting a little lamer.

This is lame, I feel like the war is over and I don't even know who won.

10. bhsmte

bhsmte Newbie

+11,554
    Atheist
    Single
    US-Others
    Cool.

11. patrick jane

patrick jane MAD Bible Believer Supporter

+1,301
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Republican
    They have a lot of Arabian coffees and Middle Eastern blends. I won't spend a penny at Starbucks. Does anyone know who Starbuck was ? trivia -

12. bhsmte

bhsmte Newbie

+11,554
    Atheist
    Single
    US-Others
    Cool. No one is forcing you to buy there coffee, correct?

13. Willtor

+1,405
    Presbyterian
    Married
    US-Others
    Is the former related to the latter? If so, srlsy? The current politics are a mess, so their coffee is off limits?

I mean, I don't buy from Starbucks, but it has more to do with avoiding caffeine than anything political.

BSG reference?

14. patrick jane

patrick jane MAD Bible Believer Supporter

+1,301
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Republican

It's commie coffee. I drink coffee at home and save a fortune !!

15. Willtor

+1,405
    Presbyterian
    Married
    US-Others
    It's basically the poster child for capitalist coffee. Before Starbucks, who knew you could charge that much for a cup? They expanded across the country. My wife (from the Pacific NW) remembers when they were "the local coffee place."

That said, you're sure right about drinking coffee at home and saving a fortune. ;)

16. Crowns&Laurels

Crowns&Laurels Well-Known Member

+749
    Christian
    Single
    US-Others
    The war was just renewed, brother.

Historically, the winter in America- especially in the East, was unbearably cold. Negative ten degrees was the average temperature- that has changed obviously.

And Christmas has only over the past century been impotent religiously- there were times when England for example actually banned Christmas because people were getting carried away drunk and disordered.
    That was actually a thing. Google it :oldthumbsup:

17. twob4me

twob4me Shark bait hoo ha ha Supporter

+27,463
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Republican
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~MOD HAT ON!!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This thread has gone through a clean up of at least the last page to remove a lot of Off Topic (OT) posts. A further cleaning may take place. Please stay on topic and do not post images that have nothing to do with the thread topic.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~MOD HAT OFF!!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

18. Frenzy

Frenzy Active Member

+47
    Agnostic
    Married
    Thank You.

19. DaisyDay

DaisyDay blind squirrel

+8,926
    United States
    Unitarian
    Married
    US-Others
    Moby Dick, first mate, iirc (too lazy to double check). And Katee Sackhoff was far superior to Dirk Bennett in the role (going back to BSG).

Last edited: Nov 14, 2015
  20. Willtor

+1,405
    Presbyterian
    Married
    US-Others
    Now I know (and knowing is half the battle).

Re: Sackhoff vs. Benedict: No argument. I can't watch the old series. The reboot was amazing.