United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I think Starbuck's are Muslim
The owner is Jewish but to many Christians in the US, he might as well be an atheist, or as you say, Muslim.

Upvote 0

Willtor

Not just any Willtor... The Mighty Willtor
Apr 23, 2005
Cambridge
Visit site
✟32,287.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The owner is Jewish but to many Christians in the US, he might as well be an atheist, or as you say, Muslim.

I parsed this as, "The owner is Jewish, but to many Christians in the U.S., he might as well be an atheist (or Muslim, as you call atheists)."

It tickled me.

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟551,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Just noting that 99% of all alleged Christmas anything we see out there in the public sphere and the music we hear on the radio has nothing to do with the actual religious significance of the holiday. Most atheists even celebrate Christmas in the exact same manner as most Christians out there do- secularly. You all decorate your homes, give gifts, eat tons of food, watch crappy Hallmark movies, and spend time with family.
For the most part, I agree. The"Christmas" most people are celebrating this year, or any before is the secular variation of the holiday. Snowmen, Christmas lights and trees, tinsel... nothing particularly Christian about any of those things. Which is why it's so odd to hear Christians complain about these things being taken out or removed from public display. It's like they want to have their cake and eat it too, and God help anyone that would grant the same amount of time and space to any other holiday that falls during this time year. No, it's gotta be all Jesus all, the time. Everywhere. That's why snowmen on paper cups are so important to the celebration.

There is little to no difference in how most Christians and non-Christians in America celebrate (and we all know many non-Christians DO actually celebrate it as a secular holiday).
Where exactly are you going with this. Both points you've made so far are plainly obvious. All I said was that Christmas is not a season... That's just a fact. The seasons are spring, summer, fall and winter. There's no additional seasons that I'm aware of. Christmas is one holiday that falls on one day in the middle of one of those four seasons. And the only reason it's dragged out so long is for the Almighty Dollar. That is the true meaning of Christmas in the US and the only reason anybody really cares about Christmas outside of Christianity, and even then....

Again, I find it odd that Christians would try so hard to defend such a farce of a holiday, especially when you consider everything the bible says about money and material possessions. Forget about the idolatry and pagan iconography.

I personally call the secular version, "crissmiss." Takes the "Christ" right out of it.

Very few give to the poor and spend time in church partaking of the Eucharist focusing on what makes it a true holy day.
Well that to me, sounds more like a failing of the church. Not something to blame on secularists and non-Christians who aren't under any seasonal obligation to help the poor.

And- Christmas is a season to some of us- one that doesn't occur during the Nativity Fast (what you all call Advent)- but rather for twelve days after until Theophany.
And that's perfectly fine with me.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟551,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I parsed this as, "The owner is Jewish, but to many Christians in the U.S., he might as well be an atheist (or Muslim, as you call atheists)."

It tickled me.
Hmmm.... I think you're right.

It holds true either way! :D

My point was that if you aren't a Christian, you might as well worship Satan.

Reactions: Willtor
Upvote 0

pakicetus

Apr 11, 2015
✟89,007.00
Country
Faroe Islands
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
It doesn't even matter if there's a "War on Christmas" unless there's some chance Christmas will lose. What are people even worried about? One day, Starbucks has nondescript cups; the next day, the most popular holiday in America disappears?

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟551,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
It doesn't even matter if there's a "War on Christmas" unless there's some chance Christmas will lose.
If what they are defending is the secular version, then I'd say CHRISTmas already lost a long time ago.

Upvote 0

Willtor

Apr 23, 2005
Cambridge
Visit site
✟32,287.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If what they are defending is the secular version, then I'd say CHRISTmas already lost a long time ago.

In some sense. Since there are Christians fighting for snowflakes on coffee cups, it's pretty clear they are fighting for crissmis (as you call it), and not Christmas. But there are still quite a lot of us who tend to think a lot more about Jesus and the circumstances and events surrounding his incarnation. It's still true that most of us also celebrate crissmis, too.

Upvote 0

katherine2001

Veteran
Jun 24, 2003
Billings, MT
Visit site
✟11,346.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I've noticed an awful lot of churches in the US shut down on Christmas. So, if you're only talking about how many people in the US only celebrate a secular holiday they call Christmas, then I suppose it may be more important to many. However, I'd be careful, were I you, to make sure you don't lump all Protestants in together on that one. I know plenty around here that would take issue with your assertion that Christmas is more important.
I agree with you here. Most Protestants will be in church on Easter Sunday. On the other hand, here in the US, at least some churches will cancel Sunday services next year when Christmas falls on Sunday (if the times that Christmas has fallen on Sunday in this new century are any indication). I've yet to see a church cancel Sunday services because it is Easter (Pascha).

Upvote 0

craigerNY

I bring nothing to the table
Feb 28, 2007
Upstate NY
✟48,788.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
It seems like every year the winter gets a little colder, my belt gets a little tighter, bedtime gets a little earlier and Christmas comes a little sooner. Maybe it's the colder, tighter belt, earlier bedtime that makes me less enthusiastic or maybe the fake war on Christmas has been getting a little lamer.

This is lame, I feel like the war is over and I don't even know who won.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

patrick jane

MAD Bible Believer
Supporter
Jun 22, 2015
St. Louis - Ephesians 2:6-8
Visit site
✟132,528.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
They have a lot of Arabian coffees and Middle Eastern blends. I won't spend a penny at Starbucks. Does anyone know who Starbuck was ? trivia -

Upvote 0

Willtor

Apr 23, 2005
Cambridge
Visit site
✟32,287.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
They have a lot of Arabian coffees and Middle Eastern blends. I won't spend a penny at Starbucks.

Is the former related to the latter? If so, srlsy? The current politics are a mess, so their coffee is off limits?

I mean, I don't buy from Starbucks, but it has more to do with avoiding caffeine than anything political.

Does anyone know who Starbuck was ? trivia -

BSG reference?

Upvote 0

patrick jane

MAD Bible Believer
Supporter
Jun 22, 2015
St. Louis - Ephesians 2:6-8
Visit site
✟132,528.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Is the former related to the latter? If so, srlsy? The current politics are a mess, so their coffee is off limits?

I mean, I don't buy from Starbucks, but it has more to do with avoiding caffeine than anything political.

BSG reference?

It's commie coffee. I drink coffee at home and save a fortune !!

Upvote 0

Willtor

Apr 23, 2005
Cambridge
Visit site
✟32,287.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's commie coffee. I drink coffee at home and save a fortune !!

It's basically the poster child for capitalist coffee. Before Starbucks, who knew you could charge that much for a cup? They expanded across the country. My wife (from the Pacific NW) remembers when they were "the local coffee place."

That said, you're sure right about drinking coffee at home and saving a fortune. ;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Crowns&Laurels

Jul 11, 2015
✟6,832.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It seems like every year the winter gets a little colder, my belt gets a little tighter, bedtime gets a little earlier and Christmas comes a little sooner. Maybe it's the colder, tighter belt, earlier bedtime that makes me less enthusiastic or maybe the fake war on Christmas has been getting a little lamer.

This is lame, I feel like the war is over and I don't even know who won.

The war was just renewed, brother.

Historically, the winter in America- especially in the East, was unbearably cold. Negative ten degrees was the average temperature- that has changed obviously.

And Christmas has only over the past century been impotent religiously- there were times when England for example actually banned Christmas because people were getting carried away drunk and disordered.
That was actually a thing. Google it :oldthumbsup:

Upvote 0

twob4me

Shark bait hoo ha ha
Supporter
Jun 28, 2003
Here :)
✟215,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~MOD HAT ON!!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This thread has gone through a clean up of at least the last page to remove a lot of Off Topic (OT) posts. A further cleaning may take place. Please stay on topic and do not post images that have nothing to do with the thread topic.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~MOD HAT OFF!!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Upvote 0

Frenzy

Nov 13, 2015
✟663.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~MOD HAT ON!!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This thread has gone through a clean up of at least the last page to remove a lot of Off Topic (OT) posts. A further cleaning may take place. Please stay on topic and do not post images that have nothing to do with the thread topic.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~MOD HAT OFF!!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thank You.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟7,428.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
BSG reference?
Moby Dick, first mate, iirc (too lazy to double check). And Katee Sackhoff was far superior to Dirk Bennett in the role (going back to BSG).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Willtor

Apr 23, 2005
Cambridge
Visit site
✟32,287.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Moby Dick, first mate, iirc (too lazy to double check). And Katee Sackhoff was far superior to Dirk Bennett in the role (going back to BSG).

Now I know (and knowing is half the battle).

Re: Sackhoff vs. Benedict: No argument. I can't watch the old series. The reboot was amazing.

Upvote 0