Star Wars, Samurai & Monomyth: Cool Seeing the Origins of the Film BEFORE you go to the New Film...

dlamberth

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2003
Oregon
✟730,029.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Others
3D is a pain for me because I have bad vision but only in my left eye whereas my right eye has 20x20 vision. The problem is a headache induced by the constant correction of focus my eyes try to make while using the glasses. No good for me.
I enjoy 3D movies. I put the 3D glasses over of my prescription glasses, and that works great for me.

Upvote 0

awitch

Retired from Christian Forums
Mar 31, 2008
New Jersey, USA
✟19,230.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I enjoy 3D movies. I put the 3D glasses over of my prescription glasses, and that works great for me.

That's what I did but it just didn't work well. I only saw the 3D because the next regular showing wasn't until 10pm and I saw it with my daughter.

I guess it made certain characters appear more...um...in person?
(spoiler avoidance)

Reactions: MehGuy
Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Wonder if her hard lifestyle with drugs weakened her heart.

I never thought out of the trio she'd be the first one to go. Sad.​
Very sad. Part of childhood gone and it's surreal:
"It's never easy to lose such a vital, irreplaceable member of the family, but this is downright heartbreaking." #StarWars #CarrieFisher

‘Star Wars’ Cast, Creators Remember Carrie Fisher: ‘She Was Our Great and Powerful Princess’
The cast and creators of “Star Wars” paid tribute to Carrie Fisher, who brought the franchise to life as Princess Leia. Fisher died Tuesday morning after suffering…
VARIETY.COM|BY SETH KELLEY​

This is from during the filming of "The Empire Strikes Back"

15740878_787171298087493_7723263773693059722_n.jpg

15726367_1806112856328567_4847023143683159597_n.jpg

15727206_790524781085660_6418340292751666517_n.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

awitch

Retired from Christian Forums
Mar 31, 2008
New Jersey, USA
✟19,230.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Star Wars is pretty consistent with killing off characters. I suspect they will do the same to Leia.
Would not be surprised if that happened. Will miss the character and what she symbolized.

In other news, I came across this and thought it was fascinating:

Princess Leia's Iconic Buns Were Inspired By These Revolutionary-Era Mexican Women
In the Star Wars universe, there's no hairstyle more iconic than Princess Leia'sside buns.
REMEZCLA.COM

The double bun look became synonymous with the Alderaanian princess from the moment we meet the late Carrie Fisher’s most famous character on the Tantive IV. But really, the hairstyle belongs to Earth. In 2002, Star Wars creator George Lucas told Time that the revolutionary-era women of Mexico inspired Leia’s look. “In the 1977 film, I was working very hard to create something different that wasn’t fashion, so I went with a kind of Southwestern Pancho Villa woman revolutionary look, which is what that is,” he said. “The buns are basically from the turn-of-the-century Mexico. Then it took such hits and became such a thing.”

But Lucas’ revelation of the hairstyle’s origins only seemed to cause confusion across the internet. Some found it difficult to find photographic evidence for Lucas’ claims. Perhaps, they only saw images of soldaderas wearing hats. (All Star Wars historian Michael Heilemann could find were these bun-less images of adelitas.) As a result, some began to look elsewhere to find other possible explanations.

This led people to believe that the hair came from the Hopi women, who lived in Arizona. Heilemann, however, believes there are flaws with this theory. “It does bear some resemblance to the buns, and given that Padmé wears a hairstyle almost exactly like it in Episode II, one can’t be faulted for thinking that there might be a connection there,” he wrote. “But once you sever the connection between the photo and Lucas’ Pancho Villa statement and take a closer look at how the hair is actually done, it’s quite obvious that the likelihood of that connection being slim.”

hopi_culture-700x943.jpeg

Leia’s buns lay flatter on her head and cover her ears, so they are slightly different. The time-consuming hairstyle meant that Fisher arrived on set at 5 a.m. and sat in a chair for two hours. And if Lucas had used Queen Fria of the Flash Gordon comic as his muse, then Fisher may have had an even more meticulous coiffure. Though the comic is a decent guess that harkens back to Lucas drawing from the comic book world, it’s incorrect.

fria_culture-700x412.png

But as Lucas stated more than a decade ago, Revolutionary-era Mexican women played a role in shaping Leia’s hairdo – at least in part. In a public Facebook post, Associate Professor at the University of Texas at Austin Eric Tang shared that the Denver Art Museum’s Star Wars and the Power of Costume exhibit gives a definitive answer. According to Tang, the image featured – which includes the words Mexican Revolution, hairstyles, and women – belongs to Lucas’ costuming archive and is proof that “he wasn’t making it up.”

Tang’s post mostly focuses on the Mexican woman, but the entire display does present indigenous Hopi women right beside a soldadera.

Tabea Linhard, author of Fearless Women in the Mexican Revolution and the Spanish Civil War, told the BBC that a double bun look wouldn’t have been practical for the adelitas. “If you take a look at photos from the period, you see women with long braids, some wear hats, on occasion they cover their hair with a shawl,” Linhard said. “Conditions on the battlefields were harsh, and the women’s task included carrying supplies, taking care of all the men’s needs, serving as spies or smugglers; some also participated in battle. So a hairstyle like Leia’s probably was not a convenient option.”

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I actually just saw it tonight. It was very good, I like that it was set apart from the core trilogies that make up canon while still being canonical.
Have to say that it was such a brilliant move adding in the character known as Galen Erso and seeing his history - and showing another side with regards to how Empires either rise or fall....and that not everyone in a rebellion is automatically fighting OUTSIDE the lines.

Rogue One: Jyn & Galen Erso's Backstory Explained
Rogue One sees Jyn Erso (Felicity Jones) trying to reunite with her father Galen(Mads Mikkelsen). Here is the backstory not included in the movie.
SCREENRANT.COM

These are also some really good thoughts on Rogue One: Galen Erso by Todd Alcott and how he was perhaps the most complicated character in Star Wars.

15724872_1320034014720583_7779267736443314857_o.jpg

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Agreed. Went to see in on Christmas day with the family. All of us enjoyed it immensely.
The film is definitely worth seeing, especially when seeing the sheer significance of Star Wars...AND SEEING all that was involved in making it possible.

Star-Wars-Filming-Locations-Infographic.jpg

star-wars-influence-map.gif

Reactions: Zoness
Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Something to consider....in the world of Star Wars where there's no deity behind the Force and the Light SIDE and Dark SIDE are both parts of the same Force that people can access, if there's no real good or evil since both sides have access to the same source of energy, then how can there truly be a monomyth? It'd be like traveling one big circle to defeat another side that's already a part of you.

For we have Grey Jedi and Dark Jedi - both of which are different than Sith.....

9032403433f2c689c87f200b7f344790.jpg

should-you-be-on-the-dark-side-or-the-light-side-of-the-force-707130.jpg

lightsabers_rev.0.png

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Reactions: dlamberth
Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
In other news, I came across this and thought it was fascinating:

Princess Leia's Iconic Buns Were Inspired By These Revolutionary-Era Mexican Women
In the Star Wars universe, there's no hairstyle more iconic than Princess Leia'sside buns.
REMEZCLA.COM

The double bun look became synonymous with the Alderaanian princess from the moment we meet the late Carrie Fisher’s most famous character on the Tantive IV. But really, the hairstyle belongs to Earth. In 2002, Star Wars creator George Lucas told Time that the revolutionary-era women of Mexico inspired Leia’s look. “In the 1977 film, I was working very hard to create something different that wasn’t fashion, so I went with a kind of Southwestern Pancho Villa woman revolutionary look, which is what that is,” he said. “The buns are basically from the turn-of-the-century Mexico. Then it took such hits and became such a thing.”

But Lucas’ revelation of the hairstyle’s origins only seemed to cause confusion across the internet. Some found it difficult to find photographic evidence for Lucas’ claims. Perhaps, they only saw images of soldaderas wearing hats. (All Star Wars historian Michael Heilemann could find were these bun-less images of adelitas.) As a result, some began to look elsewhere to find other possible explanations.

This led people to believe that the hair came from the Hopi women, who lived in Arizona. Heilemann, however, believes there are flaws with this theory. “It does bear some resemblance to the buns, and given that Padmé wears a hairstyle almost exactly like it in Episode II, one can’t be faulted for thinking that there might be a connection there,” he wrote. “But once you sever the connection between the photo and Lucas’ Pancho Villa statement and take a closer look at how the hair is actually done, it’s quite obvious that the likelihood of that connection being slim.”

hopi_culture-700x943.jpeg

Leia’s buns lay flatter on her head and cover her ears, so they are slightly different. The time-consuming hairstyle meant that Fisher arrived on set at 5 a.m. and sat in a chair for two hours. And if Lucas had used Queen Fria of the Flash Gordon comic as his muse, then Fisher may have had an even more meticulous coiffure. Though the comic is a decent guess that harkens back to Lucas drawing from the comic book world, it’s incorrect.

fria_culture-700x412.png

But as Lucas stated more than a decade ago, Revolutionary-era Mexican women played a role in shaping Leia’s hairdo – at least in part. In a public Facebook post, Associate Professor at the University of Texas at Austin Eric Tang shared that the Denver Art Museum’s Star Wars and the Power of Costume exhibit gives a definitive answer. According to Tang, the image featured – which includes the words Mexican Revolution, hairstyles, and women – belongs to Lucas’ costuming archive and is proof that “he wasn’t making it up.”

Tang’s post mostly focuses on the Mexican woman, but the entire display does present indigenous Hopi women right beside a soldadera.

Tabea Linhard, author of Fearless Women in the Mexican Revolution and the Spanish Civil War, told the BBC that a double bun look wouldn’t have been practical for the adelitas. “If you take a look at photos from the period, you see women with long braids, some wear hats, on occasion they cover their hair with a shawl,” Linhard said. “Conditions on the battlefields were harsh, and the women’s task included carrying supplies, taking care of all the men’s needs, serving as spies or smugglers; some also participated in battle. So a hairstyle like Leia’s probably was not a convenient option.”

Thinking the Galaxy will never be the same...as I was processing more on Leia and it's still surreal.

star_wars_samurai_by_kendallhaleart-da1e8da.jpg

ac0b1724746979.5633c33f05d02.png

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I actually just saw it tonight. It was very good, I like that it was set apart from the core trilogies that make up canon while still being canonical.
One of the biggest things I liked about it was that there was so much diversity and it was very impactful. I kept thinking "Asians and Latinos saved the universe this time around."

"I got emotional reading this." - Star Wars' Diego Luna.

'Star Wars' star shares the most heartwarming story about diversity in 'Rogue One'
“My dad was so happy."
YAHOO.COM

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Someone said it best when noting the following:

So many Native friends and #NoDAPL allies get déjà vu when seeing "Rogue One"... this is why.

Mike Frost
January 4 at 9:41am ·
We feel somehow righteous when we side with Jyn Erso and her Rogue One crew and then we leave the darkened cinema to pledge our ongoing allegiance to the Empire.

We're cheering for Rogue One but we're really on the Empire's side - Mike Frost
As you probably know by now, Rogue One is about a small band of rebels, part of the larger Rebel Alliance, who try to steal the design plans for a…
MIKEFROST.NET|BY MIKE FROST

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

Heros-Journey.png

a5acb45a82851374a819eace282fe702.jpg

tumblr_ne4gasbLgr1u2s23ko1_1280.jpg

screen-shot-2014-02-01-at-13-56-22.png

When considering what happened this year with others being stirred to war in the Middle East or last year with the Ukraine and those protesting in how they handled themselves against a corrupt government, seeing the Star Wars films does make things interesting since the entire series is based on being opposite of that. Hard not to consider something one of the Fathers said when stating the following:

• Hattori Hanzo: Revenge is never a straight line. It's a forest, And like a forest it's easy to lose your way... To get lost... To forget where you came in.

Saw this amazing documentary and thought it was spot on ...

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
25354061_10103409401943203_4506124670195924263_n.jpg

25443286_10103409415041953_1138053196160028504_n.jpg

25550117_10103409445820273_6094956208593082569_n.jpg

"Anakin is by far the most tragic character that I have seen in popular culture. His origins, young adulthood, and tragic redemption is one of the greatest story arcs ever told" (https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWars/comments/563g63/i_cant_get_over_how_tragic_anakins_story_is/ ).​
Ended up re-watching Return of the Jedi after having to cancel seeing the new Star Wars film with my mom (as we've done since I was younger during the release of the new digitally mastered ones in the 90s). Watching with her as a single parent was sacred time. And after seeing the scenes again, it hit me why this film series is so timeless/impacting generations:

It's truly the story of a tragic family saga.

Beyond the fact that it referenced Samurai stories and had a haunting film score to make the scenes come alive, it's enduring because it shows the tragic fall/destruction of a man. The hopelessness he had that caused him to destroy hope. And the redemption he found through his children. It's the story of a Broken family across generations - and when you remember this film was made in a major era of civil rights activism (Attica Prison Riots, Vietnam, etc.), you see why it struck a chord for generations. Lost of families want purpose in the pain loved ones bring...and redemption from decisions made.

Finished the movie and have to say it's this scene - all the scenes between Luke and Vader - that truly make the series so powerful. What started out as a story of Epic Proportions (and remained as such) of the Empire vs the Rebel Alliance got placed against a more personal backdrop...a smaller story. It was a father being saved by his son that saved the galaxy from a massive war with good vs. Evil.

And in a political backdrop of dire times, it is often the relational that impacts people the most. Scene makes me cry every time with hero's arcs and seeing what the arcs of others are. But this story is Beautiful

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,256,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
I was a big fan of Star Wars when I was younger. But as I get older, not so much. The newer movies have bee better stories, however.

There's something I don't like about Lucas' sensibilities. These are the kinds of stories you tell to children to make them conventionally good boys or girls. Very heavy on the moralizing, and surprisingly low on any real insights into humanity.

As I joked with my pastor, there's something wrong with a story when both Americans and Islamic extremists can watch the same movie and identify with the same people. Myths are potent and can prompt feelings of transcendence, but they can also be dangerous and delusive. Unlike Lucas and Campbell, I don't lament the recession of myth.

Upvote 0