• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Star Wars OR Star Trek?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by FoogieFighters, Feb 15, 2005.

1. Sheenagh Tucker

Sheenagh Tucker Newbie

+4
    Catholic
    Married
    I prefer Star Wars because I grew up with it. I remember the iconic designs and characters which are indeed impressive.

2. gentlejah

gentlejah New Member

+20
    Non-Denom
    Private
    Both. I love the first 6 Star Wars movies. Star Trek TOS and DS9 are two of my favourite shows.

3. RDKirk

RDKirk Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner Supporter

+3,954
    Christian
    Married
    They all get my money.

4. MissRowy

MissRowy I can do all things through Christ Staff Member Purple Team - Moderator Supporter Recovery Team Angels Team

+1,875
    Pentecostal
    In Relationship
    AU-Labor
    The 2 reboot movies Star Trek and Star Trek Into Darkness are a major disappointment (except for the music which is brilliant)

5. Eudaimonist

Eudaimonist I believe in life before death!

+2,427
    Atheist
    Private
    US-Libertarian
    I wasn't disappointed. I like those reboot movies. They are so much better than Insurrection and Nemesis, which are snooze-fests.

The worst thing that can be said about them is that they aren't quite Star Trek. They don't have anything like a Roddenberry feel. Perhaps they are a blend of Star Trek and Star Wars.

eudaimonia,

Mark

6. RDKirk

+3,954
    Christian
    Married
    I would rather re-watch any of the three reboots than any of the TNG movies save "First Contact." And most of the TOS movies as well.

But, true, the reboots are not Rodenberry's Star Trek. The problem is that today's audience is not the audience of the 1960s--I personally am not the same person I was in the 1960s, and I would not be interested in TOS if it were presented in the same way today as it was when I watched it in the 60s.

The reboots in concepts and "feel" fit into a darker universe that can lead to the Dominion War (which had the same effect on the Federation as 9/11 had on the US).

Post 9/11 audiences won't really cotton to the TOS/TNG Federation. The DS9/Enterprise Federation is for post-9/11 audiences. the Federation where there is a secretive Section 31 (for acceptable reasons and for unacceptable reasons) are for audiences who understand that the real world has entities like the NSA.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
  7. Crusader05

Crusader05 Veteran

+349
    Seeker
    Married
    US-Republican
    I wasn't a real big fan of the reboots, they just didn't have that Star Trek spark.

8. JAM2b

JAM2b Newbie

+204
    Non-Denom
    Private
    I didn't like the first one. I haven't seen the second.

9. MissRowy

MissRowy I can do all things through Christ Staff Member Purple Team - Moderator Supporter Recovery Team Angels Team

+1,875
    Pentecostal
    In Relationship
    AU-Labor
    Star Trek Beyond was by far the best reboot. And I agree with you about the TNG movies. First Contact is the best out of all of them because it actually links to the Enterprise episode Regeneration.
    Don't even get me started on Star Trek 5...

10. possibletarian

possibletarian New Member

+32
    United Kingdom
    Agnostic
    Single
    UK-Liberal-Democrats
    For big movies.. it has to be star wars
    But I do enjoy Star Trek, I particularly enjoy the characters in Deep Space Nine.
    I heard that Netflix were creating another Star Trek series called Discovery.

11. sunshineforJesus

sunshineforJesus is so in love with God

+2,463
    United States
    Pentecostal
    Single
    US-Republican
    I love Star wars

12. Radrook

Radrook Well-Known Member Supporter

+2,239
    Non-Denom
    Single
    Star wars has a space opera touch to it that places scientific fact secondary to plot and action. I prefer Star Trek the New Generation TV series.

13. Armoured

Armoured So is America great again yet? Supporter

+13,224
    Catholic
    Married
    Incorrect. Star Wars is superior by all metrics.

14. Radrook

Radrook Well-Known Member Supporter

+2,239
    Non-Denom
    Single
    "Para los gustos los colores!" As the saying goes in Spanish. Or "Öne man's poison is another man's food!"

15. Armoured

Armoured So is America great again yet? Supporter

+13,224
    Catholic
    Married
    I'll see your Spanish saying and raise you a John Williams score

16. CrystalDragon

CrystalDragon Well-Known Member

+1,038
    Catholic
    Single
    I remember before I watched Star Trek, I asked my dad which he liked better, Star Wars or Star Trek. He then brought up that it's hard to say because they're totally different mediums. Started watching Star Trek from the Original Series and loved it since.

I love all the Star Wars movies, and I love the first two Star Trek series and the recent movies (I'm a few episodes into Deep Space 9 and haven't seen the others.

I think I'd say I like Star Trek best just because there's more material that I've seen, especially The Next Generation. Data is amazing. :)

Star Wars does have one of my favorite composers of all time though. :)

17. RDKirk

+3,954
    Christian
    Married
    The Expanse rules them all.

18. Eudaimonist

Eudaimonist I believe in life before death!

+2,427
    Atheist
    Private
    US-Libertarian
    Eh, not really. The Expanse is good, but not that good.

eudaimonia,

Mark

19. Lazarus Short

Lazarus Short Well-Known Member

+198
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Indeed no - Fireflly rules them all. It has been described as 14 hours of ecstasy and a lifetime of regret.

20. PKFox

PKFox Child of God

+742
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    I prefer Star Wars, but a friend of mine prefers Star Trek so we have a little back and forth playful disagreement about which is cooler. But as for which is nerdier...