Dismiss Notice

Welcome to Christian Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
  • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
  • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting after you have posted 20 posts and have received 5 likes.
  • Access to private conversations with other members.
  • Less Advertisements! Members see fewer ads and have the option to upgrade their account to ad free!

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Star Wars OR Star Trek?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by FoogieFighters, Feb 15, 2005.

1. Sheenagh Tucker

Sheenagh Tucker Newbie

Ratings:
    +3
    Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Catholic
    I prefer Star Wars because I grew up with it. I remember the iconic designs and characters which are indeed impressive.

2. gentlejah

gentlejah New Member

Ratings:
    +19
    Marital Status:
    Private
    Faith:
    Non-Denominational
    Both. I love the first 6 Star Wars movies. Star Trek TOS and DS9 are two of my favourite shows.

3. RDKirk

RDKirk Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner Supporter

Ratings:
    +3,444
    Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Christian
    They all get my money.

4. MissRowy

MissRowy I can do all things through Christ Staff Member Purple Team - Moderator Supporter Recovery Team Angels Team

Ratings:
    +1,577
    Marital Status:
    In Relationship
    Politics:
    AU-Labor
    Faith:
    Pentecostal
    The 2 reboot movies Star Trek and Star Trek Into Darkness are a major disappointment (except for the music which is brilliant)

5. Eudaimonist

Eudaimonist I believe in life before death!

Ratings:
    +2,401
    Marital Status:
    Private
    Politics:
    US-Libertarian
    Faith:
    Atheist
    I wasn't disappointed. I like those reboot movies. They are so much better than Insurrection and Nemesis, which are snooze-fests.

The worst thing that can be said about them is that they aren't quite Star Trek. They don't have anything like a Roddenberry feel. Perhaps they are a blend of Star Trek and Star Wars.

eudaimonia,

Mark

6. RDKirk

RDKirk Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner Supporter

Ratings:
    +3,444
    Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Christian
    I would rather re-watch any of the three reboots than any of the TNG movies save "First Contact." And most of the TOS movies as well.

But, true, the reboots are not Rodenberry's Star Trek. The problem is that today's audience is not the audience of the 1960s--I personally am not the same person I was in the 1960s, and I would not be interested in TOS if it were presented in the same way today as it was when I watched it in the 60s.

The reboots in concepts and "feel" fit into a darker universe that can lead to the Dominion War (which had the same effect on the Federation as 9/11 had on the US).

Post 9/11 audiences won't really cotton to the TOS/TNG Federation. The DS9/Enterprise Federation is for post-9/11 audiences. the Federation where there is a secretive Section 31 (for acceptable reasons and for unacceptable reasons) are for audiences who understand that the real world has entities like the NSA.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
  7. Crusader05

Crusader05 Veteran

Ratings:
    +349
    Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Republican
    Faith:
    Seeker
    I wasn't a real big fan of the reboots, they just didn't have that Star Trek spark.

8. JAM2b

JAM2b Newbie

Ratings:
    +187
    Marital Status:
    Private
    Faith:
    Non-Denominational
    I didn't like the first one. I haven't seen the second.

9. MissRowy

MissRowy I can do all things through Christ Staff Member Purple Team - Moderator Supporter Recovery Team Angels Team

Ratings:
    +1,577
    Marital Status:
    In Relationship
    Politics:
    AU-Labor
    Faith:
    Pentecostal
    Star Trek Beyond was by far the best reboot. And I agree with you about the TNG movies. First Contact is the best out of all of them because it actually links to the Enterprise episode Regeneration.
    Don't even get me started on Star Trek 5...