Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I have seen every episode of star trek (other than discovery, haven't watched that series yet), and I've seen everything movie of star wars. I have to say that star trek has a more expansive storyline to get into than star wars. I enjoy both immensely... They are definitely different and bot have a solid place in Sci-Fi in my opinion :)

Upvote 0

mothcorrupteth

Old Whig Monarchist, Classically Realpolitik
Jun 3, 2017
Huntsville, AL
✟42,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
It depends.

Here's how I rank everything I've seen:
1. GOUT (George's Original Unedited Trilogy) Star Wars
2. Star Trek: TOS + films
3. Star Wars: Expanded Universe (in the 90's)
4. Star Trek: TNG + films
5. Star Trek: J.J. Abrams reboot
6. Star Trek: DSN
7. Star Wars Ewok TV movies
8. Star Trek: Voyager
9. Star Trek: Enterprise
10. Star Wars Original Trilogy, Special Edition
11. Star Wars Prequel Trilogy (which isn't canon in my book)
12. Star Wars Holiday Special
13. Star Wars Disney films (which is so non-canon that it's anti-canon)

And I haven't seen Rebels, either version of The Clone Wars, or Discovery.

So overall, if you cut out everything Star Wars that came out after 1996, what's left of Star Wars is unquestionably what I prefer over any or all of Trek. But if you force me to add everything Star Wars that came out after 1996, it pulls the average coolness of Star Wars so low that Trek as a whole comes out ahead.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,440,434.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It depends.

Here's how I rank everything I've seen:
1. GOUT (George's Original Unedited Trilogy) Star Wars
2. Star Trek: TOS + films
3. Star Wars: Expanded Universe (in the 90's)
4. Star Trek: TNG + films
5. Star Trek: J.J. Abrams reboot
6. Star Trek: DSN
7. Star Wars Ewok TV movies
8. Star Trek: Voyager
9. Star Trek: Enterprise
10. Star Wars Original Trilogy, Special Edition
11. Star Wars Prequel Trilogy (which isn't canon in my book)
12. Star Wars Holiday Special
13. Star Wars Disney films (which is so non-canon that it's anti-canon)

And I haven't seen Rebels, either version of The Clone Wars, or Discovery.

So overall, if you cut out everything Star Wars that came out after 1996, what's left of Star Wars is unquestionably what I prefer over any or all of Trek. But if you force me to add everything Star Wars that came out after 1996, it pulls the average coolness of Star Wars so low that Trek as a whole comes out ahead.

The Clone Wars and Rebels series are very good stories.

Upvote 0

dms1972

Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟593,863.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Trek - particularly the second movie. Little touches like putting the final lines from Captain Ahab out of Moby Dick in Khan's mouth. And the little bit of Amazing Grace at Spock's passing, beginning on the bagpipes then into a more symphonic bar or two as his casket is launched out into space, and the sun breaks from behind the new world. All that lifts it well above the norm. I don't mind the original Star Wars Trilogy though, but not the new stuff - meh, all CGI.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jude1:3Contendforthefaith

Supporter
Dec 28, 2017
Arizona
✟529,411.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Gonna have to go with Predator

Predator-1-e1492889896811.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: dms1972
Upvote 0

RageOfAngels

Sep 1, 2017
Sussex
✟43,564.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Star Wars by a mile. But...

Disney are ruining some of Star Wars, and Star Trek is getting better!
Here's how I rate SW films...

1 - Empire Strikes Back (can't decide between the two)
1 - A New Hope (can't decide between the two)
3 - The Force Awakens (was my favourite until The Last Jedi came out)
4 - Return Of The Jedi
5 - Rogue One
6 - Revenge Of The Sith
7 - The Phantom Menace (nowhere near as bad as people think it is)
8 - Solo (If ever there was a Star Wars film that didn't need to be made, this was it! Good but not needed!)
9 - Attack Of The Clones (wooden acting -ahhh!)
10 - The Last Jedi (a film that almost destroyed everything we hold dear)

Reactions: Eudaimonist
Upvote 0

Eudaimonist

I believe in life before death!
Jan 1, 2003
American resident of Sweden
Visit site
✟119,206.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
My ranking of Star Wars films, from best to worst, is Episode 5, 4, 6, 7, R1, 3, S, 1, 8, 2.

I still think that Attack of the Clones is worse than The Last Jedi. That's the only Star Wars film that I think is unambiguously worse.

The Phantom Menace is absolutely as bad as most people think it is. However, it's still better than The Last Jedi and Attack of the Clones.

Also, despite Ewoks, I still think that Return of the Jedi is better than The Force Awakens because of the excellent confrontation between Luke, Darth Vader, and the Emperor.

eudaimonia,

Mark

Last edited:
Reactions: dms1972
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,440,434.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Star Wars has no lines lifted from classical literature it has lines like : "Move the fleet out of the asteroid field, I need to make phone call" ;-)

Although putting Ahab's words into Ricardo Montalban's mouth worked for WoK (I don't think those words would have worked coming from any other actor), I don't see why lifting lines from classics automatically makes a movie better.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

dms1972

Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟593,863.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Although putting Ahab's words into Ricardo Montalban's mouth worked for WoK (I don't think those words would have worked coming from any other actor), I don't see why lifting lines from classics automatically makes a movie better.

I think you may be right - I didn't find the Klingon general in STAR TREK 6 as convincing in his use of lines from Shakespeare. But as you say it worked in WoK. I listened to Nicolas Meyer's directors commentary on STAR TREK 2 - and liked the amount of thought he put into that film. He made it very nautical. But I don't think I knew the first few times I watched it that Khan was quoting lines from Moby Dick at the end - although it is one of the books (along with King Lear, Paradise Lost and the Bible) seen on a shelf in the Cargo Pod that they were marooned in.

In all honesty I have no strong preference of one over the other when it comes to STAR TREK and STAR WARS. They are apples and oranges to me. I like both, ie. the original Trilogy of STAR WARS and the original crew of STAR TREK. STAR WARS has absolutely no relationship to our galaxy or time - it follows the mode of the fairy tale in that regard. In STAR TREK, we know when roughly it is imagined to take place - the 23rd century.

One might say STAR WARS is the more mystical, STAR TREK the more rational.

Each appeals for its own reasons.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dms1972

Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟593,863.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
My ranking of Star Wars films, from best to worst, is Episode 5, 4, 6, 7, R1, 3, S, 1, 8, 2.

I still think that Attack of the Clones is worse than The Last Jedi. That's the only Star Wars film that I think is unambiguously worse.

The Phantom Menace is absolutely as bad as most people think it is. However, it's still better than The Last Jedi and Attack of the Clones.

Also, despite Ewoks, I still think that Return of the Jedi is better than The Force Awakens because of the excellent confrontation between Luke, Darth Vader, and the Emperor.

eudaimonia,

Mark

I have only seen the original but agree the scene in the Emperor's throne room you mentioned was a great moment, particularly when watching it for the first time and one had hardly seen the Emperor in any of the films till then. Ian MacDiarmid gave a masterful performance.

Upvote 0

Convertere

Jul 13, 2018
Arkansas
✟11,060.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Libertarian
I enjoyedStar Trek: Voyager, The Next Generation and Deep Space Nine but Star Wars will always be my favorite.

To give an idea of just how much of a Star Wars fan I am. I'm a member of the Mandalorian Mercs and 501st Legion. I've got two full sets of custom Mandalorian armor and now a set of Tank Commander armor from Rogue One. I have a life size B1 Battle Droid from The Clone Wars series that I made myself sitting in my living room. I'm half way through building a life size Chopper from Rebels and I'm about to start on a gonk droid.

Upvote 0