Star Wars OR Star Trek?

Sistrin

We are such stuff as dreams are made on...
Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2012
Location Location Location
✟197,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Star Trek 5 was appalling I agree. But JJ Trek really sucked especially making Khan a white man in "Into Darkness"

That is what bothered you about "Into Darkness?" I seriously doubt the casting choice was made by a bunch of evil white guys crafting the movie just to offend some member of a minority group somewhere. An argument could be made Ahrams crafted the movie to offend Star Trek fans, but that isn't quite the same charge.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,615.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No and what did you think of the previous episode at the end where we saw the reflection in the mirror just stay there? That was creepy!

Well, we haven't returned to this in a while, and the series has certainly been busy. The two major reveals have not been a surprise to many close fans--I called both of them. The good thing is that all the major clues really were intended to be major clues. It was decent foreshadowing by the writers so that the audience knew more than the protagonist. That's not unusual for dramas--it's how suspense is typically created in the audience: The audience sees the monster standing behind the protagonist before the protagonist realizes it.

So having revealed why Lorca doesn't behave like a typical Starfleet officer, they're also pretty close to revealing why there is no spore drive in Starfleet's future (something that has also been foreshadowed).

Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I find all of star trek science abit off and inconsistent.

I don't find everything in Star Trek plausible.
I can't seem to accept the inertial dampeners and artificial gravity which they don't explain. Also the beaming of humans via transporters seems too far fetched. Also their constant flicking back and forth through human history trivializes time travel. That holographic entertainment room is alsio ridiculous.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Eudaimonist

I believe in life before death!
Jan 1, 2003
American resident of Sweden
Visit site
✟119,206.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Babylon5 was great in its day, despite some cringeworthy moments. Oh, and the absolute disaster that was season 5

Absolute disaster? No, far from it. I'd place S5 as on par with S2 in quality.

eudaimonia,

Mark

• Agree
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0
Oct 21, 2003
Central Time Zone
✟107,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Well personally I'm a Star Wars person. Our entire family has grown up with it! Hee hee. So here's the big question "Star Wars Or Star Trek?" If you want to put why, that would be super too. (also my favorite dude, and movie is : The forth one (So the first one that came out) and then the Storm Troopers!) C-3P0 rocks my socks too

I like both, but have always appreciated Star Wars more. My interest started at an early age, around the time of the original 1978 film, maybe a year or two afterwards, probably peaked around the time of Empire Strikes Back. I probably had interest in the toys before the films because my parents never took me to the movies that I can remember. I first watched them at a friends house on VHS, recorded from television, a kid I played Star Wars with using figures. The original trilogy has always ranked high on my favorite movies of all time. I do not know that I have a favorite character, there are too many great characters and character designs. Boba Fett may be the coolest looking of them, but Vadar is so iconic, as iconic as Superman. Everything about the films is of such a high quality, including the soundtracks, the main themes are quite memorable.

I came to appreciate Star Trek more as a young adult, the Next Generation series with Patrick Stewart. I like the cast of the original series, but special effects during that time were simply not up to par (not possible) with the demands of epic science fiction, and personally it always took away from my appreciation, but with a little imagination the plots can still pull a person into them.

Upvote 0

Alistair_Wonderland

Apr 14, 2018
New Philadelphia
✟28,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Ooo, tough call. I grew up with Trekkie parents (they had the uniforms and everything), so Star Trek: The Next Generation is part of my childhood. Politics aside, the show was imaginative, intelligent, and had a great cast. And it had the Borg, and my favorite Star Trek character of all time, the incredibly obnoxious Q.

But Star Wars is... well, Star Wars! Darth Vader is possibly the most iconic fictional villain of all time. And outside of anime, you will never see a warrior with cooler moves than a Jedi.

Personally, I go with Star Wars, mostly because I love the Jedi. There's a lot to learn from them, and I think some of their philosophies have helped me grow as a Christian and a person. One Jedi belief I learned form a Star Wars book is that guilt is a form of selfishness, and that you should simply alter your wrongful behavior rather than wallow in feelings of guilt. As a person who has often felt false guilt, that really spoke to me. If God forgave us, then any guilt we feel after we have confessed our sins is just a new way for the Devil to getcha!

Not saying either one is without flaws, or that either one isn't amazing. I just prefer Star Wars.

Also, I love robots. Star Wars has more robots than Star Trek, even if Data and Lor were amazing characters.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

straykat

Apr 17, 2018
Catacombs
✟22,648.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'm just going to say Star Wars, even though it's pretty much dead to me (I like everything but these Disney flicks.. although I like Rogue One too).

I'm partial to the rogue-ish nature of it's setting. Trek can be fun, but it's overtly utopian and shaped by Roddenberry's politics.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,615.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm just going to say Star Wars, even though it's pretty much dead to me (I like everything but these Disney flicks.. although I like Rogue One too).

I'm partial to the rogue-ish nature of it's setting. Trek can be fun, but it's overtly utopian and shaped by Roddenberry's politics.

See those last couple of seasons of DS9.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,615.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I did. I like Gul Dukat... Greatest villain in Trek. But it's not really the norm, is it?

It's been rather the norm since Roddenberry died. Note, for instance, that the Vulcans in Enterprise were lying, scheming, bigots.

Upvote 0

straykat

Apr 17, 2018
Catacombs
✟22,648.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It's been rather the norm since Roddenberry died. Note, for instance, that the Vulcans in Enterprise were lying, scheming, bigots.

I don't remember much of Enterprise. It started getting kind of good, then got canceled.. I remember sympathizing somewhat with them though.. since they had experience and this was humanity's first big mission.

Upvote 0