Evening Mist

gentle mother
Feb 7, 2003
Delaware
Visit site
✟997.00
Faith
Christian
Has God ever challenged your opinions, and required that you lay down what you once considered a strong "conviction?" Perhaps an opinion about a specific issue that you were very vocal about?

Or, if you don't believe in God -- have you ever felt compelled to change your position regarding a moral issue, to the detriment of your own pride?

Just wondering. I wouldn't mind hearing details.

Quath

Nov 21, 2002
Livermore, CA
Visit site
✟15,831.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Democrat
I once announced how much I was for the death penality. After some discussions with some coworkers I changed my opinion. I kind of had to swallow my pride when I reversed my opinion. Basically, I learned that life imprisonment costs less than seeking the death penality. Plus the death penality is irreversible. After that, I learned to be a little more careful of announcing my convictions until I had talked about them enough so I could strongly support them.

Scott (Quath)

Upvote 0

Blackhawk

Monkey Boy
Feb 5, 2002
Ft. Worth, tx
Visit site
✟22,925.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Today at 12:50 AM Quath said this in Post #2

I once announced how much I was for the death penality. After some discussions with some coworkers I changed my opinion. I kind of had to swallow my pride when I reversed my opinion. Basically, I learned that life imprisonment costs less than seeking the death penality. Plus the death penality is irreversible. After that, I learned to be a little more careful of announcing my convictions until I had talked about them enough so I could strongly support them.

Scott (Quath)

Like Scott I also changed my views on the death penalty.  Also on another site an agnostic's arguments forced me to change my opinion on allowing the choice for abortion if the mother's life is in danger only because my viewpoint was inconsistent.  Also as time goes on I am becoming more liberal than I used to be.  Not just politically but economically and even theologically.  (while keeping a firm foundation in the essentials of the coservative side of faith)  I guess as I grow I am seeing how families and especially how fathers or the lack thereof affect people for the good or bad. So I support strongly things I used to not like getting more black male role models out there.  (I guess before I never saw that as so important)

Upvote 0

Susan

退屈させた1 つ (bored one)
Feb 16, 2002
El Cajon, California, USA
Visit site
✟15,012.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Yes, I learned the hard way that not all "Christian authorities" are absolutely right on some issues, and that true convictions usually see distinctions rather than all or nothing. I say the hard way because I ended up alienating people who I really, really wish I could be friends with now ;;^.^;; I sometimes feel like I'm hopelessly behind the times, and I missed out on a lot because of that false conviction. A part of it also earned me my first "vacation" here last May.

The best advice I can give you to avoid this is beware of anyone who tries to use guilt or fear to make you form a secondary conviction, and don't throw away what you personally know to be fact about something because someone else says that you're wrong and decieved.

Upvote 0

jon1101

Dec 31, 2001
Hillsdale, Michigan
Visit site
✟1,871.00
Faith
Christian
I used to be quite vocal in support of YEC but after actually hearing the case for The Theory of Evolution, I found that I was quite wrong. I've also reversed my views that marijuana should be illegal, that homosexuality is despicable (I apologize for ever holding that view), and that atheism comes from a desire to be evil and is induced by Satan himself. Over the past few years I've generally become more "liberal," although I try to avoid the term because of its association with the democratic party and their positions. 

-jon

Upvote 0

Susan

退屈させた1 つ (bored one)
Feb 16, 2002
El Cajon, California, USA
Visit site
✟15,012.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Also, Blackhawk, I certainly know what you mean. . .I think it's just a part of growing older and more knowledgable about how things are, and more accepting of the fact that not everyone and everything fits into a specific "idea" of what it should be. Or at least I hope so. . .LOL -^.^-

Upvote 0

Pete Harcoff

PeteAce - In memory of WinAce
Jun 30, 2002
✟9,874.00
Faith
Other Religion
I used to have some fairly fascist views of certain things (inappropriate contentography, gun ownership, religion, etc, should be banned), but I'm softened my position on a number of issues. Of course, I was younger and much more ignorant when I originally held those views. But rational thought and learning eventually intervened.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FOMWatts<><

Follower of the Way
Jan 6, 2002
Nacogdoches, Texas
Visit site
✟15,970.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Today at 07:22 AM Pray4Isrel said this in Post #11 (http://www.christianforums.com/showthread.php?postid=707767#post707767)

My convictions have strengthened throughout the years. I was fortunate to be raised by parents that are strong Believers that were involved with full-time ministry and still teach Bible classes and such. I can't really recall a specific issue though I am certain there are many times I have had to change my thoughts and stance in certain situations. However, my convictions remain grounded in the Word. I am a studier of the Word, and I have no problem changing where I stand on an isuue only if it can be 110% scripturally sound and proven.

AMEN!!! I have read many posts in this thread where people have changed or modified there convictions due to the pressures of society. We as society have slowly let sin become acceptable in some cases. SIN IS SIN, and it STILL separates us from God. On things that are Biblically based we are not to budge our convictions. Some things are plain and simple and just because society accepts some things does NOT mean God does.

I love the way PRAY4ISRAEL changes her convictions. She is firmly bound to the word, and if the Bible tells her something THEN she will change her stance and not before. :bow:

Blessings,

FOMWatts<>< :pray::pray::pray:

Upvote 0

Evening Mist

gentle mother
Feb 7, 2003
Delaware
Visit site
✟997.00
Faith
Christian
I have read many posts in this thread where people have changed or modified there convictions due to the pressures of society. We as society have slowly let sin become acceptable in some cases. SIN IS SIN, and it STILL separates us from God. On things that are Biblically based we are not to budge our convictions. Some things are plain and simple and just because society accepts some things does NOT mean God does.

Well, I did ask "has God challenge you" and not "has society challenged you."

But I really think it is presumptuous to contradict the motives expressed by people in "this thread," who, like most of us, are struggling along in sincerity, trying to do the best they can before each other and God - and honestly can't see everything that you do as "plain and simple."

But since we are going in this direction, there are two things I want to ask everyone in general:

1) Can you always tell the difference between God's voice and society's pressures?
2) Is it unreasonable to think that God might use the people around you to teach you something important about God's own heart?

Upvote 0

Blackhawk

Monkey Boy
Feb 5, 2002
Ft. Worth, tx
Visit site
✟22,925.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
My changes were a combination of God's direct pressure through the Holy Spirit and God using people as His hands and feet to help shed some light on things.

I guess I sort of assumed that everyone would know that I did not just change it because society said so but because i was convicted that I was wrong about the issue.

Upvote 0

Quath

Nov 21, 2002
Livermore, CA
Visit site
✟15,831.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Democrat
I think pressures of society does change many Christians and I think that is good. The Bible was used to justify slavery and killing of homosexuals. However, the pressure of society has been changing Christians to see slavery and homosexual killing as bad.

If you only got your morals from the Bible, you would grow up thinking it is ok to stone people for gathering firewood on the wrong day or think it is ok to kill nonvirgin brides.

Scott (Quath)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Evening Mist

gentle mother
Feb 7, 2003
Delaware
Visit site
✟997.00
Faith
Christian
Okay -- time for 'nother question for anyone still paying attention.

Have you ever been challenged by God to lay down your convictions, and at the same time realized with horror and shame that your opinions had actually hurt people in the past? Even possibly, caused people harm? If so, how did you come to terms with that recognition?

Upvote 0

foolsparade

Jul 12, 2002
Pennsyl-tucky
✟2,584.00
Faith
Atheist
"Convictions are more dangerous enemies of truth than lies." FN.

My views on the death penalty have changed also. Before I was really in favor of it, never really gave it much thought. Once I really began to look into the foundation of executions, and the reasons, justifications, expected outcomes, and message it relays to the rest of civilization, I no longer believe it too be a sound formula. :wave:

Pray4Isrel: you write " Could it be that I have had a personal relationship with my Lord and know Him, talk to Him and seek Him daily? Could it be because I can see the Bible as a whole and not select portions to twist it to fit my own needs? Could it be... on and on and on."

Great! You haven't murdered anyone! Niether have I. So... It "could be" anything, circular reasoning is all ways so easy.

Upvote 0

Quath

Nov 21, 2002
Livermore, CA
Visit site
✟15,831.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Democrat
Today at 07:13 PM Pray4Isrel said this in Post #19
Strange, I grew up only receiving my morals from the Bible&nbsp;that were&nbsp;read to me and instilled in me by my parents godly example and I never once had to hold myself back from stoning people on the Sabbath... could it be because I have studied and grasped the Law and it's purpose and the beautiful fulfillment of the Law in the New Testament?&nbsp; Could it be that I have had a personal relationship with my Lord and know Him, talk to Him and seek Him daily?&nbsp; Could it be because I can see the Bible as a whole and not select portions to twist it to fit my own needs?&nbsp; Could it be...&nbsp;on and on and on.&nbsp;

Could it be that your parents have given into societal pressure and do not teach you about stoning people for breaking the Sabbath or God wants to kill children that make fun of bald men.

In every societal issue, you will find Christians for and against and they will all be quoting the Bible and state they understand it.&nbsp; I think it takes more than the Bible to develop morality.

Scott (Quath)

Upvote 0

budoka

non-religious spirituality
I used to be a lot less tolerant of religion, particularly Christianity, because of all the harm it can do to people. Now I'm just intolerant of intolerance (I hope!)

I'm more willing now to accept celibacy as an option for gay Christians rather than a loving same-sex relationship, if that is where their spiritual path truly takes them. That's quite a recent development; it's difficult to know how wonderful love is and yet support some people's right to deny themselves that same thing. I just want everyone to be happy! But now I can say that I am happy IF they are (it's still a big IF though!)
When I was younger and single it didn't bother me too much if I slept with someone who was already in an exclusive relationship with someone else. That changed as gained more respect for myself; I no longer want to be the kind of person who benefits from someone else's broken promises and another person's potential pain.

Upvote 0