the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Judaic means "pertaining to Judaism." Orthodox Jews do not believe in Trinitarianism, Hell, cross, Sunday Sabbath, or other such things. Now I ask you, are you a Judaic Christian, or are you a Pagan Christian? Pagans believe in Trinitarianism, Hell, cross, Sunday Sabbath, and other such things.
Jews believed in more than 1 person being YHWH Elohim.
They left that idea (which is clearly based on Scripture) when Christianity developed.

Reactions: Dkh587
Upvote 0

CherubRam

Dec 21, 2012
✟103,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oneness
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Jews believed in more than 1 person being YHWH Elohim.
They left that idea (which is clearly based on Scripture) when Christianity developed.
That is not true in Orthodox Judaism. Only Pagan Jews believe God is more than one person.

Upvote 0

Hieronymus

Jan 12, 2016
the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That is not true in Orthodox Judaism. Only Pagan Jews believe God is more than one person.
No, before Christ Jews acknowledged there were more than 1 person = YHWH Elohim.
I mean, just read the Tenach, and you'll see that there's the Name, the Angel of GOD, and situations where God refers to Himself as another 'person', things like that.
Orthodox Judaism of today indeed does not acknowledge this anymore.
From what i understand, this is not acknowledged anymore since Christianity became a large religion.

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

No, before Christ Jews acknowledged there were more than 1 person = YHWH Elohim.
I mean, just read the Tenach, and you'll see that there's the Name, the Angel of GOD, and situations where God refers to Himself as another 'person', things like that.
Orthodox Judaism of today indeed does not acknowledge this anymore.
From what i understand, this is not acknowledged anymore since Christianity became a large religion.

Since we are using the capital "O" Orthodox Judaism, CR would be correct. Orthodox Judaism as it is does not believe in any sort of "more than one person YHWH"; it is staunchly monotheist. Orthodox Judaism is the current "denomination" (if one can call it that) in Judaism, along with others such as Reform, Conservative, etc. This would be akin to the Sadducee and Pharisees, etc. of Yeshuas time. When we use a small "o" orthodox Judaism it would be a different meaning.

Now, what I think Hieronymus means (and correct me if I am wrong), is that ancient Judaism did have room for more thoughts on different expressions of G-d. It is pretty well documented in the archaeology and some writings that in the past these beliefs were present in some form. We have had discussions on the Memra before and how it could be interpreted as such. Also, archaeology is clear that in some Israelite temples YHWH was worshiped alongside other expressions of Him. This practice was stamped out around the time of Josiah's reforms.

• Agree
Reactions: Hieronymus
Upvote 0

Heber Book List

Theologian [Applied Theology]
Jul 1, 2015
Whippingham, Isle of Wight, England
✟132,416.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Since we are using the capital "O" Orthodox Judaism, CR would be correct. Orthodox Judaism as it is does not believe in any sort of "more than one person YHWH"; it is staunchly monotheist. Orthodox Judaism is the current "denomination" (if one can call it that) in Judaism, along with others such as Reform, Conservative, etc. This would be akin to the Sadducee and Pharisees, etc. of Yeshuas time. When we use a small "o" orthodox Judaism it would be a different meaning.

Now, what I think Hieronymus means (and correct me if I am wrong), is that ancient Judaism did have room for more thoughts on different expressions of G-d. It is pretty well documented in the archaeology and some writings that in the past these beliefs were present in some form. We have had discussions on the Memra before and how it could be interpreted as such. Also, archaeology is clear that in some Israelite temples YHWH was worshiped alongside other expressions of Him. This practice was stamped out around the time of Josiah's reforms.

Read: Vermes, G. Christian beginnings from Nazareth to Nicaea AD 30-325. Penguin Books, London: 2013. In particular the first chapter - 'Charismatic Judaism from Moses to Jesus'.

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Read: Vermes, G. Christian beginnings from Nazareth to Nicaea AD 30-325. Penguin Books, London: 2013. In particular the first chapter - 'Charismatic Judaism from Moses to Jesus'.
Sounds like an interesting read....can you possibly give some insight from it for this discussion?

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
How was he then of the tribe of Binyamin? Philippians 3:5

I find this a little problematic since the Tribe of Benjamin disappeared from history some six centuries prior.

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I find this a little problematic since the Tribe of Benjamin disappeared from history some six centuries prior.

Binyamin, Levi and Yehudah stayed in the southern Kingdom of Yehudah. I am sure Paul had either written or oral tradition or both for his lineage.

• Agree
Reactions: tampasteve
Upvote 0

Heber Book List

Theologian [Applied Theology]
Jul 1, 2015
Whippingham, Isle of Wight, England
✟132,416.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Sounds like an interesting read....can you possibly give some insight from it for this discussion?

Geza writes about the charismatic movement in the Tanach - of the miracles that were performed, of the prophetic utterances, of the amazing actions that took place, rain coming, and stopping etc, of the healings, of raising from the dead etc. Things that, nowadays, seem to be restricted to Charismatics and credited to the Holy Spirit. They have always been a part of G_d's work, whether today or in the Tanach or the Christian Testament - same G_d, same works. The H Spirit has been at work for millennia!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Geza writes about the charismatic movement in the Tanach - of the miracles that were performed, of the prophetic utterances, of the amazing actions that took place, rain coming, and stopping etc, of the healings, of raising from the dead etc. Things that, nowadays, seem to be restricted to Charismatics and credited to the Holy Spirit. They have always been a part of G_d's work, whether today or in the Tanach or the Christian Testament - same G_d, same works.
OK, thanks! That does sound interesting. I am also fascinated by the other "miracle workers of Galilee" that were in the 30 or so years around the time of Yeshua. Most interesting to me are Honi ha-M'agel and Hanina ben Dosa.

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
Judaic means "pertaining to Judaism." Orthodox Jews do not believe in Trinitarianism, Hell, cross, Sunday Sabbath, or other such things.
Orthodox Jews do not believe Jesus is the Messiah either.

Upvote 0

CherubRam

Dec 21, 2012
✟103,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oneness
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Orthodox Jews do not believe Jesus is the Messiah either.
The reason they do not believe Yahshua is the Messiah, is because of all the Anti-Orthodox Judaism added to the New Testament. If we had a New Testament where the Catholics had not added to it, many Orthodox Jews would believe Yahshua was the Messiah.

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
The reason they do not believe Yahshua is the Messiah, is because of all the Anti-Orthodox Judaism added to the New Testament. If we had a New Testament where the Catholics had not added to it, many Orthodox Jews would believe Yahshua was the Messiah.
It's irrelevant why. The point is that you listed a bunch of Christian stuff that the Orthodox don't believe, and I added that they also don't believe the Christian teaching that Yeshua is the Mashiach. IOW the Orthodox simply point blank reject Christian stuff, including what you believe.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Closed for Review Sorry.jpg