Faith
Oneness
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
The word Cross a note

Homeric and classical Greek

In Homeric and classical Greek, stauros meant an upright stake, pole, or piece of paling, upon which anything might be hung.

In the literature of that time, it never means two pieces of timber placed across one another at any angle, but always one piece alone.

Koine Greek

In Koine Greek, the form of Greek used between about 300 BC and AD 300, the word σταυρός (Stauros) was used to denote a structure on which the Romans executed criminals. In the writings of the Diodorus Siculus (1st century BC), Plutarch and Lucian – non-Christian writers, of whom only Lucian makes clear the shape of the device – the word stauros is generally translated as "stake."

Upvote 0

CherubRam

Dec 21, 2012
✟103,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oneness
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Origin of the word crux. Latin for: stake, scaffold, or cross, used in executions or torment.

The English term "cross" is derived from the Latin word crux. From about 1635 to 1645 AD.

Labarum

An upright pole with cross section to display a standard such as a flag, banner, or emblem.

Word Origin

From Late Latin, and of obscure origin

This standard was known by the name "labarum"—a word the etymology of which is very uncertain. The etymology of the word is unclear. Some derive it from Latin /labāre/ "to totter, or to waver." The labarum was also used to hold the ancient Babylonian sky-god emblem.

Patibulum

It is a establish fact that the two-beamed cross was in existence in the time of Yahshua, and that the word crux was used to refer to it. The crux was composed of two main pieces: The stipes, which is the upright pole, and the patibulum attached to it. The patibulum is the cross beam.

Stipe

Stipe is an upright support.

From Latin stipes "log, post, tree trunk"

Stauros

Stauros (σταυρός) is the Greek word for stake or post.

Upvote 0

Hieronymus

Jan 12, 2016
the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I will look into this further, i think it's interesting.
From what i have come across just now, it may have been a T (in Christ's case with a sign on top apparently), it may have been a cross.
But it seems the convict often had a wooden beam stretching his arms outward, tied with rope or with nails through the wrists.
That beam then was placed on top of the stake / pole (stipe), so you get a T or a cross, depending on how the beam was held up on the stake / pole (stipe).
You're saying it wasn't a cross or T, just a stake / pole (stipe).

I think your point is they made it a cross in tradition, possibly covertly referring to something pagan.
Exactly what it would refer to is not (yet) clear though.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
No, they crucified Him because the Pharisees begged them to, and decided to do it because Jesus caused trouble in their occupied areas.

The High Priest and his inner circle were Sadducees not Pharisees. The Pharisees were actually somewhat favourable toward Jesus as witness the behaviour of Nicodimus and Gamaliel. After all, Rabbi Yeshua was a Pharisee himself.

Upvote 0

Hieronymus

Jan 12, 2016
the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The High Priest and his inner circle were Sadducees not Pharisees.
O, sorry.
I don't even know the difference between those...
The Pharisees were actually somewhat favourable toward Jesus as witness the behaviour of Nicodimus and Gamaliel. After all, Rabbi Yeshua was a Pharisee himself.
So was Saul (later Paul) who prosecuted Christians.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
So was Saul (later Paul) who prosecuted Christians.

My personal suspicion is that Saul/Paul was a Gentile converted to Judaism. He was extremely zealous and entered rabbinical studies in the Bet Hillel school under Rabbi Gamaliel. Failing in his rabbinical studies he entered the Temple Police acting as a civilian provocateur. He was a very very strange character and enters history as the true founder of Christianity.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
Michael Hiles , being Jewish and forced (if he wanted that commission) to wear a symbol that many of his relatives may have been murdered under is just wrong.

I wonder if they considered using the 'messianic symbol'?

That shouldn't insult anyone as it does not use the cross or tablets but the fish and menorah.
I think it is obscene to insist that anyone wear ANY symbol that they don't want to, especially when it comes to religion. I think as regards to MJ, the most appropriate symbol is the Mogen David with the cross inside, but that's just my own opinion. Id never force it on someone.

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
No, he wasn't. Nor was he an Essene. Or a Zealot.
Yeshua was not a follower of any man.
I think he was of the school of Hillel. I agree with Jack that he was a Pharisee. Just not a bet Shammai Pharisee like the ones he argued with.

Reactions: JackRT
Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
I will look into this further, i think it's interesting.
From what i have come across just now, it may have been a T (in Christ's case with a sign on top apparently), it may have been a cross.
But it seems the convict often had a wooden beam stretching his arms outward, tied with rope or with nails through the wrists.
That beam then was placed on top of the stake / pole (stipe), so you get a T or a cross, depending on how the beam was held up on the stake / pole (stipe).
You're saying it wasn't a cross or T, just a stake / pole (stipe).

I think your point is they made it a cross in tradition, possibly covertly referring to something pagan.
Exactly what it would refer to is not (yet) clear though.
T or cross, same difference. I don't think the Romans were meticulous about getting that "T" exact. Wherever they nailed the crossbeam was good enough.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
You are not a Judaic Christian.
Am I a Jew doing Judaism stuff? Yes. And am I also a Christian doing Christian stuff? Yes. Thus, I am a Judaic Chrisitan.

BTW, I'm sure you realize that "Judaic Christian" is a term that either you made up, or your friends made up. It doesn't even good. The closest terms are "Judeo Christian" and "Jewish Christians." I think you qualify as Judeo Christian, although I've never heard it used as a religious category before. Since you are not a Jew, you aren't a Jewish Christian. But all that aside, I get what you are TRYING to say. I'm just saying, the label fits me as well.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.