United States
Faith
Oneness
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Wikipedia article:

The U.S. Navy made a decision that Messianic Jewish chaplains must wear as their insignia the Christian cross, and not the tablets of the law, the insignia of Jewish chaplains. According to Yeshiva World News, a website covering stories of Jewish interest, the Navy Uniform Board commanded that Michael Hiles, a candidate for chaplaincy, wear the Christian cross insignia. Hiles resigned from the program, rather than wear the cross. Rabbi Eric Tokajer, a spokesman for the Messianic Jewish movement, responded that "This decision essentially bars Messianic Jews from serving as chaplains within the U.S. Navy because it would require them to wear an insignia inconsistent with their faith and belief system."

Christ was hung on a stake, not a cross. The cross is an ancient Pagan symbol for the sun.

Reactions: DennisTate

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What is the difference between a Judaic Christian, a Christian, and a Messianic Jew? Do they not all recognize Jesus?
A christian is a gentile who believes in Jesus.
A "Judaic Christian" is a Jewish believer in Jesus who attends a gentile church and has no interest in living a Jewish lifestyle or fulfilling his/her unique calling as a Jew.
A Messianic Jew is a Jewish believer in Jesus who keeps a recognizably Jewish lifestyle and works toward fulfilling his/her calling as a Jew.

Deuteronomy 4 and Israel’s Unique Calling

Reactions: Winken
Upvote 0

CherubRam

Dec 21, 2012
✟103,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oneness
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
What is the difference between a Judaic Christian, a Christian, and a Messianic Jew? Do they not all recognize Jesus?
A Judaic Christian does not keep the festivals, sacrifices, circumcision, or have a Rabbi.

Reactions: Winken
Upvote 0

Hieronymus

Jan 12, 2016
the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Wikipedia article:

The U.S. Navy made a decision that Messianic Jewish chaplains must wear as their insignia the Christian cross, and not the tablets of the law, the insignia of Jewish chaplains. According to Yeshiva World News, a website covering stories of Jewish interest, the Navy Uniform Board commanded that Michael Hiles, a candidate for chaplaincy, wear the Christian cross insignia. Hiles resigned from the program, rather than wear the cross. Rabbi Eric Tokajer, a spokesman for the Messianic Jewish movement, responded that "This decision essentially bars Messianic Jews from serving as chaplains within the U.S. Navy because it would require them to wear an insignia inconsistent with their faith and belief system."

Christ was hung on a stake, not a cross. The cross is an ancient Pagan symbol for the sun.
The cross, which was apparently used by the Romans to hang people on to die, is a stake.
It's a stake with a cross bar for the arms.
The pagan symbol is the 'Ahnk' and has nothing to do with hanging people to die.
Ankh - Wikipedia

Reactions: Open Heart
Upvote 0

CherubRam

Dec 21, 2012
✟103,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oneness
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
The cross, which was apparently used by the Romans to hang people on to die, is a stake.
It's a stake with a cross bar for the arms.
The pagan symbol is the 'Ahnk' and has nothing to do with hanging people to die.
Ankh - Wikipedia
The cross was used for sun sacrifices. Do you think the Romans sacrificed Christ to their sun god? Stake and cross are two different things.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hieronymus

Jan 12, 2016
the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The cross was used for sun sacrifices.
By the Romans?
I doubt that.
Do you think the Romans sacrificed Christ to their sun god?
No, they crucified Him because the Pharisees begged them to, and decided to do it because Jesus caused trouble in their occupied areas.
The Ahnk however, was part of Egyptian sun worship.
Stake and cross are two different things.
A stake with a cross bar is a stake with a cross bar.
Some say it was T shaped with a board of wood on top on which, in Jesus' case, "Jesus of Nazareth, King of the Jews" was written.
Either way, it bacame the symbol used by Christians.
The cross that is, not the Ahnk.

Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Michael Hiles , being Jewish and forced (if he wanted that commission) to wear a symbol that many of his relatives may have been murdered under is just wrong.

I wonder if they considered using the 'messianic symbol'?

That shouldn't insult anyone as it does not use the cross or tablets but the fish and menorah.

• Agree
Reactions: FreeAtLast
Upvote 0

CherubRam

Dec 21, 2012
✟103,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oneness
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Michael Hiles , being Jewish and forced (if he wanted that commission) to wear a symbol that many of his relatives may have been murdered under is just wrong.

I wonder if they considered using the 'messianic symbol'?

That shouldn't insult anyone as it does not use the cross or tablets but the fish and menorah.
I would have no problem with the Messianic seal if it has a five point star and not a six point star. The oldest Messianic seal had a five point star.

Upvote 0

CherubRam

Dec 21, 2012
✟103,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oneness
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
By the Romans?
I doubt that. No, they crucified Him because the Pharisees begged them to, and decided to do it because Jesus caused trouble in their occupied areas.
The Ahnk however, was part of Egyptian sun worship.A stake with a cross bar is a stake with a cross bar.
Some say it was T shaped with a board of wood on top on which, in Jesus' case, "Jesus of Nazareth, King of the Jews" was written.
Either way, it bacame the symbol used by Christians.
The cross that is, not the Ahnk.
The sign posted at the top of the stake does not make it a cross. It was a stake with a sign posted at the top. A cross for hanging has two intersecting poles.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Christ was hung on a stake, not a cross.

Both may in fact be correct. It is my understanding that crucifixions were frequently carried out by nailing and/or roping the victim to the crossbeam and then hoisting both to the top of an upright stake.

The cross is an ancient Pagan symbol for the sun.

I am not so sure of that ---usually it was a simple circle or disk and in some cultures a swastika.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

CherubRam

Dec 21, 2012
✟103,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oneness
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Both may in fact be correct. It is my understanding that crucifixions were frequently carried out by nailing and/or roping the victim to the crossbeam and then hoisting both to the top of an upright stake.

I am not so sure of that ---usually it was a simple circle or disk and in some cultures a swastika.
Crux and stake are two different words and things. The Romans liked to hang their gods on crosses. The Old Testament says the Messiah would be hung on a pole in one place, and stake in another place. Were the prophets wrong?

Upvote 0

Hieronymus

Jan 12, 2016
the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Crux and stake are two different words and things.
Only with that debatable premiss do you have a point.
The Romans liked to hang their gods on crosses.
I hadn't heard that before.
Sounds unlikely to me though, because they worshipped their gods, not crucify them.
I'm curious about the source of this though.
The Old Testament says the Messiah would be hung on a pole in one place, and stake in another place. Were the prophets wrong?
No, a cross is a pole or stake with a cross bar, but still a stake i.m.o.

Upvote 0

Hieronymus

Jan 12, 2016
the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The sign posted at the top of the stake does not make it a cross.
It does actually.
Put a little thing on top of a T and you get a cross basically.
It was a stake with a sign posted at the top. A cross for hanging has two intersecting poles.
Like a stake with a cross bar...

Reactions: tampasteve
Upvote 0

CherubRam

Dec 21, 2012
✟103,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oneness
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Only with that debatable premiss do you have a point.
I hadn't heard that before.
Sounds unlikely to me though, because they worshipped their gods, not crucify them.
I'm curious about the source of this though.No, a cross is a pole or stake with a cross bar, but still a stake i.m.o.
The Internet had a multitude of those pics, now I don't see a single one. Anyway, the Roman soldiers would carry a cross with their gods displayed on it. It was a vary common thing to see. Strange that the Internet no longer shows any of them.

Upvote 0

CherubRam

Dec 21, 2012
✟103,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oneness
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
It does actually.
Put a little thing on top of a T and you get a cross basically.Like a stake with a cross bar...
The mark of the cross is made on the forehead with ash during lent.

Sign of the cross

The Byzantine sign of the cross made with the right hand.

The Byzantine sign of the cross is made with thumb and the first two fingers of the right hand joined at the tips. The third and fourth fingers are closed on the palm.

The Byzantine way of making the sign of the cross pre-dates the Latin style used by the Roman Catholics.

The sign of the Trinity and Cross are both in the right hand.

The Hebrew word for sin is "chet," which literally means "missing the mark.”

The sign of being forgiven.

During the ancient days of Israel, if a person was forgiven in a court, the person would receive a single ash mark on their forehead for everyone to see; that was done in remembrance of Moses’s snake on a pole.

The Catholic mark is a cross on the fore head made with a trinity sign with the right hand. By the way, the word “cross’ is not biblical; it was added to scriptures.

The Seal of God is the law and the Sabbath Day.

Numbers 21:8’9

The Lord said to Moses, “Make a snake and put it up on a pole; anyone who is bitten can look at it and live.” So Moses made a bronze snake and put it up on a pole. Then when anyone was bitten by a snake and looked at the bronze snake, they lived.

Deuteronomy 21:23

you must not leave the body hanging on the pole overnight. Be sure to bury it that same day, because anyone who is hung on a pole is under God’s curse. You must not desecrate the land the Lord your God is giving you as an inheritance.

1 Corinthians 1:23. NIV

23 but we preach Christ (crucified / staked out) a stumbling block to Jews and foolishness to Gentiles,

Galatians 3:13

Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us, for it is written: “Cursed is everyone who is hung on a pole.”

Acts 5:30

The God of our fathers raised up Yahshua, whom you killed and hanged on a tree.

Acts 10:39

And we are witnesses of all things which he did both in the land of the Jews, and in Jerusalem; whom they killed and hanged on a tree:

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.