• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Stable. But high levels of stress, cause me to relapse. Am seeing a psychologist soon...

Gottservant

God loves your words, may men love them also
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2006
✟276,687.00
Faith
Messianic
Hi there,

So I basically said it all in the heading: currently I am stable; however, high levels of stress cause me to relapse - I am seeing a psychologist soon (I just thought it might be wise to document it here, while I wait for the appointment to be made).

The thing is, the more stressed I am, the more I tangentialize mentally, in an effort to manage stressors. It doesn't push me over the edge immediately, but I find my tangents harder and harder to understand or contextualize - so then I am in a state of stress, with no real way out (and my thoughts become more and more psychotic).

The relapse itself, is over in a matter of hours if I get medication, but they have put me on a medication that has danger attached - viz., that if you stop taking it suddenly, you get sicker. So I am constantly checking myself mentally, thinking "is this dangerous? how would I know??" It is basically a bandaid, though, there is no real incentive to improve my condition, just to live in ignorance of what the stress could be (in a very lethargic, unproductive kind of way).

I want to acknowledge the medication, the diagnosis and the doctor, but they kind of put me at a distance with comments like "he'll never get better" and "its like diabetes, you need the bandaid more than the cure". It makes me angry because they are basically writing me off, I would assume because of the same thing: stress making it hard to determine what the way forward was.

In time, I think what I am going to do is just take God's word for how stressed I am, instead of trying to judge it myself - it's when you think the illness or the condition or whatever it is is you, that you start to get into trouble. Like when you think, "I am having these thoughts because I am a bad person", that sort of thing.

Thanks for thinking about it; it's basically just a window into my recovery at the moment - not much, but you stuck with me: thanks.