1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

St Paul's Exhortation to the Unmarried

Discussion in 'Semper Reformanda' started by saintboniface, May 23, 2014.

1. nobdysfool

nobdysfool The original! Accept no substitutes!

+962
    Christian
    Private
    US-Constitution
    Then you're ignoring the last part of what he says, where he specifically says it's better to remarry than to burn. By your measure, that is just as much Holy Spirit inspired as the rest. So, you have painted yourself into a corner. Nice going! LOL!

2. GQ Chris

GQ Chris ooey gooey is for brownies, not Bible teachers

+1,725
    Calvinist
    Single
    ^_^

3. saintboniface

saintboniface Junior Member

+12
    Catholic
    Married
    :D:D:D Classic.

It brings up a good point. Off the top of my head the Catholic priesthood, in this regard, consists of at least three groups: homosexuals, men who would probably marry but can't find a woman or don't know how to, and men who truly fore-go marriage for the sake of the kingdom of God. I truly pray for more of the latter but acknowledge that saints and heroes can come from any of the groups.

4. abacabb3

abacabb3 Newbie

+416
    Christian
    Married
    Wait, aren't we on the same side?

This is the sort of spiritual blindness that has been plaguing Protestants (and by the way I worship at a Reformed Baptist church I am not a Catholic). The whole chapter is God breathed, this is the portion you refer to:

To the unmarried and the widows I say that it is good for them to remain single as I am. But if they cannot exercise self-control, they should marry. For it is better to marry than to burn with passion. (1 Cor 7:8, 9)

Clearly, Paul's instruction is that it is preferable to remain unmarried, but if the individual does not have the gift of celibacy (which is the presumption) then Paul says by all means, don't struggle with lust and marry.

It is a pretty straight forward teaching, with no corners to get painted into.