ST-Mary appearing in Egypt next to a cross!!

Mytheodos

Oct 9, 2006
✟16,789.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I just found this on youtube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSFDMcunpXQ

One poster made this comment..

We know this is real because we have something called FAITH. We know it's not just an angel because of the shape. Angels aren't shape-shifters as demons are. It's not a demon because if it was, the sight of the cross would've made it revert back to its original demon self. In the story of St. Youstina, simply hearing her name made a demon lose its form because she was so pure. So if so many people are saying St. Mary's name and this was a demon it would immediately turn back into a demon.

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
Colorado Springs, Colorado
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I read this story yesterday when browsing the Orthodox news stories. I hadn't seen the video. I do have to say, I wasn't sure what to expect...but now watching it...my heart skipped a beat, and I felt my throat close. Glory to God. :crosseo:

Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
Colorado Springs, Colorado
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hasn't the Most Holy Virgin Theotokos appeared in Egypt before?

Was it on a special feast day?
I forget what day it said in the article, but yes, she did, sometime like in the late 1960's....1968 sounds right.... you can find the article if you google it, I believe.

Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Wow.....that is amazing! Wasn't Egypt where St. Mary was (in the desert)?

It gets confusing because the Copts refer to the Theotokos as St. Mary, who has appeared on tops of Coptic churches before.
When she appeared back in 1968, many Muslims converted to Christianity.

St. Mary of Egypt is another Mary.

p.s. At first I also thought that they were referring to St. Mary of Egypt, but then I realized that the Theotokos was standing by the Cross as she did at the Crucifixion of Her Son.

Most Holy Theotokos, save us.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Christos Anesti

Oct 25, 2009
Michigan
✟20,114.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I hate to sound overly skeptical but the footage is really fuzzy and all the light sources are really distorted. It could just be a an optical illusion or camera artifact. I also notice that people are not always even looking at the vaguely humanoid shape light. They occasionally look in that direction but it's not like they are starring transfixed at it. I know if I actually saw a being of light standing next to a cross I would be awfully fascinated by it and not so prone to look away and behave in the manner of the onlookers there.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Protoevangel

Smash the Patriarchy!
Feb 6, 2004
Eugene, OR
✟33,297.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
Video "evidence" of miracles is sketchy at best.

I do not doubt the miracle... Just as I do not doubt the miracle of the Holy Fire. But just like the Holy Fire, the video does little to convince me. I believe because it is not really that extraordinary for miracles such as this to occur in the Orthodox Church... Not because someone tried to capture it on video.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Aesjn

Mar 9, 2008
Tir nam Blath
✟880.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Why are the videos of these things always so horrible and no one actually seems to care? If it's real I would think everyone would be looking at it.

It's sorta like if someone had footage of a Tyrannosaurus Rex tip toeing around Manhattan and no one noticed.

Reactions: GBTWC
Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Monophysites is a derogatory term that was applied to the Coptic Christians by non-Coptics. Coptics themselves do not like that term, nor do they consider themselves to be Monophysites.

Also remember that the term "Consubstantiation" was applied by Rome to the Lutherans. However, Rome did not have an adequate conception of the Lutheran's beliefs on the Real Presence. Therefore, Lutherans also largely reject that term and take offense when used.

Likewise, the term "uniates" as referred by some Orthodox to the Eastern Catholics is viewed as derogatory. Lately, that term is rarely used because it is known to offend.

Upvote 0

Apophatic80

Habemus Papam...
Dec 16, 2009
Arkansas
✟15,489.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Monophysites is a derogatory term that was applied to the Coptic Christians by non-Coptics. Coptics themselves do not like that term, nor do they consider themselves to be Monophysites.

Also remember that the term "Consubstantiation" was applied by Rome to the Lutherans. However, Rome did not have an adequate conception of the Lutheran's beliefs on the Real Presence. Therefore, Lutherans also largely reject that term and take offense when used.

Likewise, the term "uniates" as referred by some Orthodox to the Eastern Catholics is viewed as derogatory. Lately, that term is rarely used because it is known to offend.

Thanks for the tips! It's always good to know what offends and what doesn't. Have a good one!

Upvote 0