St. Louis Archbishop Reminds Troubled Saint Louis University of His Authority on...

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,655,781.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
...on Moral Issues
Bishop Carlson writes, "For me not to speak would be as violent to faith as you could be"

ST. LOUIS, Missouri, August 27, 2009 (LifeSiteNews.com) -
In an interview with the online newspaper of the Jesuit-run Saint Louis University (SLU), which has had a history of conflict with Church moral teaching, Archbishop Carlson has reminded the school that he will follow his pastoral obligation to guide the school on matters of faith and morals.

ArchbishopCarlson.jpg
"For good or for bad, as archbishop, I am responsible for addressing morality in our time," Carlson told The University Times last week. "For me not to speak would be as violent to faith as you could be…"

The prelate also stressed the importance of fruitful dialogue when disagreement arises.
"If you said, 'I don't agree with you,' I'd say let's talk about it. And then we're building bridges," he said. "The young people who go to SLU are blessed with people who can extend those bridges. That's why I think the university setting can be so stimulating."

Archbishop Carlson has a strong reputation as a defender of the Church's teaching on the sacredness of life: it was he who famously ordered former Senate majority leader Tom Daschle in 2003 to cease calling himself Catholic because of his pro-abortion views.

According to the newspaper, Carlson said he sought to establish a good relationship with SLU president Fr. Lawrence Biondi, S.J., a sentiment Biondi reciprocated.

Carlson's predecessor, Archbishop Raymond Burke, had urged the school in 2008 to discipline its basketball coach for publicly stating support for abortion and embryonic stem-cell research. The school, under the leadership of Biondi at the time, responded that the coach's words expressed his own personal views and evidently declined to take disciplinary action.

Late last year, while the debate over California's true marriage amendment raged across the country, a group of SLU students joined a local rally on the steps of the St. Louis Courthouse to protest the definition of marriage as between a man and a woman.

http://www.lifesitenews.com/ldn/2009/aug/09082703.html

IgnatiusOfAntioch

Contributor
May 3, 2005
Visit site
✟23,767.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,087,273.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Having lived in a diocese that Carlson used to lead, my impression is that he is a much gentler, more compassionate person than Archbishop Burke, and this is good, because St. Louis, my favorite former home town in the world, certainly needs a period of healing after the Burke years.

Upvote 0
M

Memento Mori

Having lived in a diocese that Carlson used to lead, my impression is that he is a much gentler, more compassionate person than Archbishop Burke, and this is good, because St. Louis, my favorite former home town in the world, certainly needs a period of healing after the Burke years.

Yes, the quotes make him seem rather tactful.

Upvote 0