United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
papal infallibility
here you go papal infallible quote that goes with the quotes I already provided showing supremacy and succession
II. Maximus is to keep the churches of the East free from these two opposite heresies.

And therefore, beloved brother, you must with all your heart consider over which church the Lord has set you to preside, and remember that system of doctrine of which the chief of all the Apostles, the blessed Peter, laid the foundation, not only by his uniform preaching throughout the world, but especially by his teaching in the cities of Antioch and Rome: so that you may understand that he demands of him who is set over the home of his own renown those institutions which he handed down, as he received them from the Truth Itself, which he confessed. And in the churches of the East, and especially in those which the canons of the most holy Fathers at Nicæa assigned to the See of Antioch, you must not by any means allow unscrupulous heretics to make assaults on the Gospel, and the dogmas of either Nestorius or Eutyches to be maintained by any one. Since, as I have said, the rock (petra) of the Catholic Faith, from which the blessed Apostle Peter took his name at the Lord's hands, rejects every trace of either heresy; for it openly and clearly anathematizes Nestorius for separating the nature of the Word and of the flesh in the blessed Virgin's conception, for dividing the one Christ into two, and for wishing to distinguish between the person of the Godhead and the person of the Manhood: because He is altogether one and the same who in His eternal Deity was born of the Father without time, and in His true flesh was born of His mother in time; and similarly it eschews Eutyches for ignoring the reality of the human flesh in the Lord Jesus Christ, and asserting the transformation of the Word Himself into flesh, so that His birth, nurture, growth, suffering, death and burial, and resurrection on the third day, all belonged to His Deity only, which put on not the reality but the semblance of the form of a slave.
And remember what I already quoted. "transcended all the uncertainty of human opinions, and was endued with the firmness of a rock, which no assaults could shake. For throughout the Church Peter daily says, You are the Christ, the Son of the living God, and every tongue which confesses the Lord, accepts the instruction his voice conveys. This Faith conquers the devil, and breaks the bonds of his prisoners".

Upvote 0

dóxatotheó

Orthodox Church Familia
May 12, 2021
South Carolina
✟17,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
while problematic, that’s not the only issue with Vatican I. plus the fact that St Leo repented on this issue shows he didn’t understand it in the same way as Vatican I.
May you provide the quotes that shows this conclusion?

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,849.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
here you go papal infallible quote that goes with the quotes I already provided showing supremacy and succession And remember what I already quoted. "transcended all the uncertainty of human opinions, and was endued with the firmness of a rock, which no assaults could shake. For throughout the Church Peter daily says, You are the Christ, the Son of the living God, and every tongue which confesses the Lord, accepts the instruction his voice conveys. This Faith conquers the devil, and breaks the bonds of his prisoners".

nothing here asserts papal infallibility. this could be seen as an argument for papal supremacy, but not infallibility.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,849.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
May you provide the quotes that shows this conclusion?

I already referenced them earlier. there is an epistle St Leo wrote to Palestinian monks. it’s in the writings of St Justinian

Upvote 0

dóxatotheó

Orthodox Church Familia
May 12, 2021
South Carolina
✟17,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
nothing here asserts papal infallibility. this could be seen as an argument for papal supremacy, but not infallibility.
essentially what it says exactly what it means the Faith cannot be shackled from the sea because its protected by Jesus

Upvote 0

dóxatotheó

Orthodox Church Familia
May 12, 2021
South Carolina
✟17,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,849.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dóxatotheó

Orthodox Church Familia
May 12, 2021
South Carolina
✟17,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
it’s more specific than that
I know but if a Pope Decree something on Faith its infallible so when Pope John Paul the 2nd decree how the Pope is infallible I would agree with him because it is infallible.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟429,692.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I'm having a hard time following what's going on in this thread.

I don't see Fr. Matt defending Vatican I so much as pointing out the differences he sees between what Pope Leo wrote and what Vatican I says. That's a description of why they aren't the same, not a defense of Vatican I. I should hope no EO person (and certainly no priest...Lord have mercy) would be defending Vatican I. :eek: But maybe I'm not understanding what's being talked about here...

I don't see Vatican I in what Pope Leo wrote, either -- Roman overreaching, sure, but that's nothing new, and at any rate it doesn't seem to be on the level of the medieval or later RCC, where such strong ecclesiological claims generally find their basis. Read and compare what you have from Leo to a later document like the Dictatus Papae from 1075...it's wild!

Upvote 0

dóxatotheó

Orthodox Church Familia
May 12, 2021
South Carolina
✟17,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I'm having a hard time following what's going on in this thread.

I don't see Fr. Matt defending Vatican I so much as pointing out the differences he sees between what Pope Leo wrote and what Vatican I says. That's a description of why they aren't the same, not a defense of Vatican I. I should hope no EO person (and certainly no priest...Lord have mercy) would be defending Vatican I. :eek: But maybe I'm not understanding what's being talked about here...

I don't see Vatican I in what Pope Leo wrote, either -- Roman overreaching, sure, but that's nothing new, and at any rate it doesn't seem to be on the level of the medieval or later RCC, where such strong ecclesiological claims generally find their basis. Read and compare what you have from Leo to a later document like the Dictatus Papae from 1075...it's wild!
im not rcc im orthodox lol im basically arguing hes a papist with arguments my rcc friends have

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,849.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I know but if a Pope Decree something on Faith its infallible so when Pope John Paul the 2nd decree how the Pope is infallible I would agree with him because it is infallible.

again, not exactly. it’s more precise than that

Upvote 0