St. Lazarus the "One Whom Jesus Loved" - Possible He Wrote the 4th Gospel?

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

Concerning the issue, I was made aware of something that another individual noted on the issue of who authored the Book of John - in regards to St. Lazarus.

lazarus%2Bresurrection%2B18th%2Bcent.jpg

lazarus.jpg

One prominent scholar in the world of NT Studies - known as Ben Witherington - had a very insightful thesis on the issue of what Lazarus, which others can discover if going here to Ben Witherington: Was Lazarus the Beloved Disciple?

Ben Witherington has always been one of my favorite authors - very astute when it comes to his analysis of Scripture and Biblical history....and one of the individuals coming heavily against much of the Primative Restorationist camps saying all aspects of Apostolic Christianity/Ancient Church are automatically "pagan"...

But on his analysis, I thought it was definitely fascinating to consider when thinking on the ways that it's assumed "the disciple whom Jesus loved" somehow connected with John. And I think Ben Witherington has the strongest case present on why Lazarus is to be considered. For Witherington argues, largely from internal evidence, that Lazarus was the "beloved disciple" in the Fourth Gospel and was responsible for writing what would be equated to the "first draft" of the book. I like considering the fact that Lazarus resolves A LOT of problems with the text since it would explain the heavy focus on Jerusalem in the Book of John and relative ignorance of Galilee as well (as Galilee is right outside of Jerusalem) - and it would explain the omission of the transfiguration and garden prayer scenes that are present in the other stories. Moreover, it would explain the reasons why it was assumed that the Beloved Disciple would not die (John 21)—because he had already once been brought back from the dead by Jesus. In light of where there has been continual use of the phrase “the disciple whom Jesus loved” (John 13:23-25, 19:26-27, 20:1-10, 21:1-25), we have to acknowledge the high significance of where John 11:5 specifically states that Jesus loved Lazarus.

I liked how another summed it up, as seen in the following (for brief excerpt):

Firstly, the beloved disciple is never equated with John the son of Zebedee in the fourth Gospel. Instead, the sons of Zebedee are mentioned in John 21.2 do not seem to be equated with the beloved disciple. Secondly, the apostle John was, like Jesus’ other disciples, a Galilean. However, the fourth Gospel includes only one of the major Galilean miracles which the synoptics include (the feeding of the 5000 in John 6). If the beloved disciple was an eyewitness from Galilee, we would expect more of Jesus’ Galilean miracles to be included. Thirdly, in the synoptic gospels, all of the twelve abandon Jesus at his crucifixion. However, in John, we are told that the beloved disciple was present at the crucifixion. If John (one of the twelve) and the beloved disciple are the same, then we have to solve the discrepancy. If, however, the beloved disciple was Lazarus, not one of the twelve, then the discrepancy disappears. Fourthly, the first appearance of an expression similar to “the disciple that Jesus loved” appears in John 11 when Jesus is told: “he whom you love is ill” (Jn. 11.2). This is a reference not to the apostle John, but to Lazarus. If this is a precursor to “the disciple that Jesus loved” then it would suggest that this beloved disciple is in fact Lazarus, and not John. Fifthly, in John 18, it seems that the beloved disciple is known by the high priest. This would be highly unlikely if the beloved disciple was a Galilean. Rather, this suggests that this disciples was well known in the Jerusalem area. Lazarus lived in Bethany, which was just by Jerusalem. It would make more sense for this disciple to be Lazarus if the high priest knew him.

Sixthly, Lazarus as the beloved disciple could help to explain the incredibly high christology of John. If you had been dead for 4 days and then raised by Jesus, that would change your worldview in a very dramatic way. This could account for the boldness with which the fourth Gospel proclaims Jesus as God, as opposed to the more cryptic way the synoptics suggest it.

Other great places for discussion:

There has been ongoing debate on the issue that has continued to take place. More can be seen in the following:

Of course, the most glaring issue to consider (in opposition to Lazarus as the disciple whom Jesus loved) is that it would be hard to reconcile how he was at the last supper. However, something that I had never considered before was that it was not JUST the disciples at the last Supper - for there were women there as well. In fact, Mark’s gospel indicates Jesus asked two disciples to prepare the Passover meal and then Jesus “came with the Twelve” (Mark 14:13-17). Logically, that would mean that at least fifteen people attended the Last Supper: Jesus, two disciples and “the Twelve”. In light of the fact that the Lord had male and female disciples - as well as the fact that meal preparation was a role that women fulfilled traditionally - it could easily have ben the case that the two disciples attending the Last Supper could have been women (or at least ONE of the disciples being a woman and another being male as an assistant - Lazarus being a brother to someone like Martha, that dynamic would not be far-fetched ). Having women as assistants is not hard to consider - in light of how we read Matthew 27:55: "Many women were there, watching from a distance. They had followed Jesus from Galilee to care for his needs." (more noted in Luke 8:1-3) .....and as it concerns the company of women, we already see key events where women were present - as seen in one of them being someone who anointed the Lord for burial BEFORE he broke bread. More was shared in the thread entitled Matthew 26:6-13 - Anointings of Yeshua by Women and seeing what were they about? ....The image most people read with is one where the Lord is simply with men - but that imagery can skew dealing with the other facts. Something else to consider is that all four of the Gospels record Christ being anointed by a woman using perfume - with Judas complaining that the perfume is too expensive, whereas Jesus affirms what the woman is doing, saying that she is anointing him for his burial. While the Synoptic Gospels don't give identification to who the woman is, the fourth Gospel points out that it's Mary and the place she did the event at was Bethany. Logically, this would make sense for the author to make these identifications since Mary is Lazarus’ sister and Bethany is where they lived.

As it concerns the article from the beginning by Ben Witherington, I do ask that others read through the article first/all the rebuttals given BEFORE speaking since it will help everyone be on the same page with what's actually being advocated with Lazarus as the author of John. I would hate for others to come into the thread speaking past what the intent of the OP is - but that has happened before in other places. Hopefully, it will not here - but with that said, if anyone has any thoughts on the matter, I'd love to hear. Blessings....

Last edited:

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Gxg (G²);66506157 said:

Concerning the issue, I was made aware of something that another individual noted on the issue of who authored the Book of John - in regards to St. Lazarus.

lazarus%2Bresurrection%2B18th%2Bcent.jpg

lazarus.jpg

One prominent scholar in the world of NT Studies - known as Ben Witherington - had a very insightful thesis on the issue of what Lazarus, which others can discover if going here to Ben Witherington: Was Lazarus the Beloved Disciple?

Gospel of John - THE LIFE OF JESUS - full movie - YouTube

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,050,229.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The question is, would Lazarus have been at the Last Supper, or on the seashore after the resurrection?
John 21:20 says that the disciple whom Jesus loved had asked at the Lord's Supper, "Lord, who is going to betray you?" There is no indication that this was Lazarus. In fact, we are not told that Lazarus even became a disciple, and according to John 21:2, only the disciples went fishing on that occasion.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I too believe it was Lazarus...
I am beginning to come to that view also.

Hi. After thoughly studying the parable of the Rich Man and Lazarus, I decided to be a little "open minded" about this disciple the Jesus loved.

The other day I found this interesting site and have just started reading it and what better person to use to write a Testimony of Jesus than the only person in the NT to be raised from the dead after 3 days.

A Bible study on the beloved disciple, author of the fourth gospel
THE DISCIPLE WHOM JESUS LOVED
If Not John, Then Who?

The evidence presented so far has shown the Apostle John was not the “other disciple, whom Jesus loved”. Now that you are aware of the facts, you know the John tradition cannot hold up under biblical scrutiny. The truth is scripture never justified believing John was “the disciple whom Jesus loved”. Also, unless one makes the assumption Jesus was alone with “the twelve” throughout his last Passover, nothing would require the one “whom Jesus loved” to even be one of “the twelve”.

If “the disciple whom Jesus loved” was not the Apostle John, then who was he? The Bible can answer this question if we will search the scriptures and rely on the testimony of God’s word to lead us. This is what we will begin to do now. Indeed, many facts point to the identity of this author, from proof of his relationship with Jesus, to details that suggest a possible motive for this author hiding his identity.

There is one and only one person in the Bible who can be shown to reasonably fit with everything scripture says about this unnamed “other disciple”. As we weigh the facts that reveal the identity of the one whom “Jesus loved” it will be shown how each piece of biblical evidence concerning the author of the fourth gospel points to one very unique – and very famous – friend of Jesus.

Author who wrote the fourth gospel was the beloved disciple, not John

Except for “the disciple whom Jesus loved”, the only man who associated with Jesus who was singled out as being “loved” by Jesus was Lazarus. We are told explicitly that “Jesus loved” Lazarus. His sisters also referred to this relationship, and when “Jesus wept” prior to raising Lazarus, the Jews that were there “weeping” with his sisters attributed it to Jesus’ love for him (Fourth gospel 11:19, 33 & 36). By itself the fact that “Jesus loved” him does not prove that Lazarus was the “other disciple, whom Jesus loved”. However, this lead is certainly worth investigating!

Upvote 0

simonthezealot

have you not read,what God has spoken unto you?
Apr 17, 2006
Minnesota
✟19,953.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
But this seems to point to Lazarus...
1Now a certain man was ill, Lazarus of Bethany, the village of Mary and her sister Martha. 2It was Mary who anointed the Lord with ointment and wiped his feet with her hair, whose brother Lazarus was ill. 3So the sisters sent to him, saying, “Lord, he whom you love is ill.”

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
1Now a certain man was ill, Lazarus of Bethany, the village of Mary and her sister Martha. 2It was Mary who anointed the Lord with ointment and wiped his feet with her hair, whose brother Lazarus was ill. 3So the sisters sent to him, saying, “Lord, he whom you love is ill.”

[5] Now Jesus loved Martha, and her sister, and Lazarus.

Seems Jesus loved quite a few people.Couldn't Martha or her sister also possibly be the disciple that Jesus loved if mentioning the fact that Jesus loved them evidence for assuming someone is "the disciple Jesus loved"?

Note the name Lazarus is mentioned in the passage and the phrase is not "the disciple whom you love is ill".

I do not see why , if Lazarus was the author, he would suddenly become averse to using his own name and refer to himself as "the disciple Jesus loved" when he had previously called himself a certain man Lazarus?

I see no evidence from the synoptics to suggest that Lazarus had a more special relationship with Jesus than the twelve did. And if we do not assume that Lazarus is the author of John, I see no evidence to conclude that he is. In other words, without first assuming Lazarus is the author one cannot make a good case for him being the author. One might make the same statement about John as the author but tradition does name John while it does not name Lazarus.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Originally Posted by simonthezealot
I am beginning to come to that view also.

A Bible study on the beloved disciple, author of the fourth gospel
THE DISCIPLE WHOM JESUS LOVED
If Not John, Then Who?

I have heard this theory before, and it does seem pretty plausible.
[5] Now Jesus loved Martha, and her sister, and Lazarus.

Seems Jesus loved quite a few people.Couldn't Martha or her sister also possibly be the disciple that Jesus loved if mentioning the fact that Jesus loved them evidence for assuming someone is "the disciple Jesus loved"?

Note the name Lazarus is mentioned in the passage and the phrase is not "the disciple whom you love is ill".

I do not see why , if Lazarus was the author, he would suddenly become averse to using his own name and refer to himself as "the disciple Jesus loved" when he had previously called himself a certain man Lazarus?

I see no evidence from the synoptics to suggest that Lazarus had a more special relationship with Jesus than the twelve did. And if we do not assume that Lazarus is the author of John, I see no evidence to conclude that he is.

In other words, without first assuming Lazarus is the author one cannot make a good case for him being the author. One might make the same statement about John as the author but tradition does name John while it does not name Lazarus.
That is true.
John could have wrote the 4th Gospel, but couldn't he also have been referring to Lazarus as "the disciple Jesus loved"?
Also, why is Peter mentioned being with him in John 20?

http://www.christianforums.com/t7282853/
Question on other Disciple John 18:15

NKJV Search Results for "the other disciple"
"the other disciple"
occurs in 5 verses in the NKJV.

Jhn 18:16
But Peter stood at the door outside. Then the other disciple, who was known to the high priest, went out and spoke to her who kept the door, and brought Peter in.

Jhn 20:2
Then she ran and came to Simon Peter, and to the other disciple, whom Jesus loved, and said to them, “They have taken away the Lord out of the tomb, and we do not know where they have laid Him.”

Jhn 20:4
So they both ran together, and the other disciple outran Peter and came to the tomb first.

Then the other disciple, who came to the tomb first, went in also; and he saw and believed.

John 21:24
This one is the Disciple, the one Testifying concerning these things, and the one writing these-things, and we are aware that true of Him the Testimony is.

Upvote 0

simonthezealot

have you not read,what God has spoken unto you?
Apr 17, 2006
Minnesota
✟19,953.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
*[[Luk 22:14]] RNKJV* And when the hour was come, he sat down, and the twelve apostles with him.

Should have copied more...this verse deals with last supper....lazerus was not one of the twelve apostles....yet the disciple Jesus loved was..

Well there could have and likely was alot more people in that room, they don't mention other servants or members of the household...Just because it identifies the 12 doesn't mean that was all that was present...

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Well there could have and likely was alot more people in that room, they don't mention other servants or members of the household...Just because it identifies the 12 doesn't mean that was all that was present...

Random servants and household members? I wonder how well they were known to Christ and His disciples?

It would seem very odd indeed that people not well known to them might be included in the institution of the Eucharist ...

Or leaning on the Lord's chest?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ImaginaryDay

We Live Here
Mar 24, 2012
Fawlty Towers
✟30,199.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Separated
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Threads like this always interest me. They give fodder to those who would question the authenticity of the work and give rise to questions about so-called "discrepancies". If we submit that it was Lazarus who wrote the gospel, then someone really messed up attributing the Gospel to John when the author clearly says "This is the disciple who is bearing witness about these things, and who has written these things, and we know that his testimony is true."

Upvote 0

ImaginaryDay

We Live Here
Mar 24, 2012
Fawlty Towers
✟30,199.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Separated
Politics
CA-Conservatives

It would seem that not mentioning Lazarus would be a serious mis-step if he were one of "more people in that room". Especially if he were the one to whom the Gospel was attributed.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Originally Posted by simonthezealot
There are a lot of good reasons to assume such, IMHO..

For in John 11 we have three references to Christ love for specifically named individuals - and all three references can be seen in connection with the death of Lazarus as well as Christ raising him from the dead.

John 11:5: Jesus loved Martha and her sister (Mary) and Lazarus.

John 11:3: So the sisters sent word to Jesus, "Lord, the one you love (Lazarus) is sick."

John 11:36: Then the Jews said, "See how he loved him (Lazarus)!"

As said in one of the aforementioned link references (for brief excerpt):

So the Roman cohort and the commander, and the officers of the Jews, arrested Jesus and bound Him, and led Him to Annas first; for he was father‑in‑law of Caiaphas, who was high priest that year. Now Caiaphas was the one who had advised the Jews that it was expedient for one man to die on behalf of the people. [John 18:12-14]
And Simon Peter was following Jesus, and so was another disciple. Now that disciple was known to the high priest, and entered with Jesus into the court of the high priest, but Peter was standing at the door outside. So the other disciple, who was known to the high priest, went out and spoke to the doorkeeper, and brought in Peter. [John 18:15-16]
The context for this is during the trial of Jesus. We see that Jesus was being followed by Peter, which everyone knows about, and our second mysterious disciple make another appearance. Peter would not have been able to gain access by himself, but rather it was the “other disciple” who was known to the High Priest and he was the one who got Peter in. If you read John 20 you will see that the “other disciple” is “the disciple whom Jesus loved:
And so she ran and came to Simon Peter, and to the other disciple whom Jesus loved, and said to them, “They have taken away the Lord out of the tomb, and we do not know where they have laid Him.” [John 20:2]
At this point we will build a case against the “beloved disciple” being John. When we contrast John 18 to Acts 4 I think we will see that this “other disciple” could not be John. Acts 4:1-23 tells us what happened to Peter and John following the healing of a crippled man. Peter and John were seized and brought before the “rulers, and elders, and scribes, and Annas the high priest, and Caiaphas” in order to be questioned about this miracle.
Now as they observed the confidence of Peter and John, and understood that they were uneducated and untrained men, they were marveling, and began to recognize them as having been with Jesus. [Acts 4:13]
Here is where it gets interesting. Notice here what these Jewish leaders recognized. It was in that moment that they suddenly understood that these men had been with Jesus. The principal thing that we need to get out of this passage is that it was at that point that the high priest and the other rulers became acquainted with Peter and John for first time. But our text in John 18 tells us that the “other disciple” was known by the High Priest. This teaches us that the high priest did not know John [or Peter] before this incident. So the “other disciple” could not have been John! Furthermore, and building upon this, we see in John 20 that this “other disciple” was the first to believe after the resurrection:
So the other disciple who had first come to the tomb entered then also, and he saw and believed. For as yet they did not understand the Scripture, that He must rise again from the dead. [John 20:8-9]
This happened early on the first day of the week “the other disciple saw and believed” but later that day notice what Mark tells us:
And afterward He appeared to the eleven themselves as they were reclining at the table; and He reproached them for their unbelief and hardness of heart, because they had not believed those who had seen Him after He had risen. [Mark 16:14]
When he is speaking of “eleven” he is speaking of the“twelve” minus Judas. These eleven did not believe but the “other disciple” had believed that morning. This fits really well because while we are told that “the other disciple whom Jesus loved” believed, Peter did not believe, but would believe a little later, as we see in Mark 16. The other disciple was clearly not one of the eleven and could not have been John, because John was counted among the eleven who were rebuked for not believing, while the disciple whom Jesus loved, Lazarus, had already believed!

And as another noted (for another brief reference):

(1) If John 18:15-18 is talking about an actual relationship with the high priest, then is it necessary to conclude that the chief priests would have known of the relationship as well, or even took part of it? Several commentaries I've read said that this trial in the passage is an informal one in the high priest's room, not necessarily with the chief priests present. Maybe the high priest wasn't aware of the plot to kill Lazarus. I don't know...my knowledge is limited on such questions and subjects of trials and the Sanhedrin.

The 2nd option seems more plausible to me:
(2) John 18 isn't talking about a relationship with Annas (or Caiaphas), but rather just stating that Annas knew who Lazarus was (of course! he was a celebrity). Perhaps he was let in as a witness to the things Jesus did, and since he was so close to Jesus throughout his ministry, he (Lazarus) could be questioned on the subject, and maybe even put on trial himself. If Lazarus is the author of John, we know of his extreme loyalty, boldness, and braveness. He probably wouldn't have thought twice about getting into the high priest's room to 'back up' Jesus despite the threat it posed on his own person.

Lazaros.jpg

johnwho-646x323.png

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Threads like this always interest me. They give fodder to those who would question the authenticity of the work and give rise to questions about so-called "discrepancies". If we submit that it was Lazarus who wrote the gospel, then someone really messed up attributing the Gospel to John when the author clearly says "This is the disciple who is bearing witness about these things, and who has written these things, and we know that his testimony is true."

It does seem to me that the way in which the Gospel came to bear the name of "John" and how the early Church received the Gospel is the elephant in the room, but I was going to let that one go for now, LOL.

Upvote 0