St. Lawrence Lounge (Vocations, lay-ministries, and discernment)

Aymn27

Radical Reformationist
Feb 12, 2005
Lake Charles, LA
Visit site
✟19,028.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Father Rick said:
I'm part of the Old Catholic church of North America.

Our mass is fairly 'middle of the road'. Sometimes a little more 'contemporary' as to music, etc. Sometimes a little more traditional.

As to charismatic gifts-- We normally allow time for anointing of the sick immediately following Eucharist (while the altar is being cleared, etc) before the concluding prayers. During this time, it is not uncommon for charismatic gifts to manifest.

We are also planning to start healing masses on a regular basis (once a month or so).
Have you always been OC or did you convert?? How did you know you had a vocation to the priesthood? For me, it's hard to explain why I feel God has called me to the priesthood. It's sort of like a "hunger" in my stomach!! I would have to agree with earlier posts about the confusion associated with a potential calling. I've always felt called to "something" greater than the norm, I just never knew what??!! However, the more I discern my vocation to the priesthood, the more my spirit feels at peace. My problem is that I don't think I'm that great of a public speaker! Why in the world would God call someone like me to proclaim the Gospel??

Also, as far as discernment goes, what do you suggest?? I pray daily, fast(though not often enough) and read all the Scripture and theological books I can find. I hope to start spiritual direction in the near future...but haven't been blessed with a director yet (since I work with the Diocese I know most priest personally and don't want to discuss leaving the RCC with them). I just feel like I need some type of outside observer to help with the discernment.

Upvote 0

Father Rick

Peace be with you
Jun 23, 2004
Sitting at this computer
Visit site
✟21,921.00
Country
Thailand
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Private
Aymn27 said:
Have you always been OC or did you convert?? How did you know you had a vocation to the priesthood? For me, it's hard to explain why I feel God has called me to the priesthood. It's sort of like a "hunger" in my stomach!! I would have to agree with earlier posts about the confusion associated with a potential calling. I've always felt called to "something" greater than the norm, I just never knew what??!! However, the more I discern my vocation to the priesthood, the more my spirit feels at peace. My problem is that I don't think I'm that great of a public speaker! Why in the world would God call someone like me to proclaim the Gospel??

Also, as far as discernment goes, what do you suggest?? I pray daily, fast(though not often enough) and read all the Scripture and theological books I can find. I hope to start spiritual direction in the near future...but haven't been blessed with a director yet (since I work with the Diocese I know most priest personally and don't want to discuss leaving the RCC with them). I just feel like I need some type of outside observer to help with the discernment.
To answer part of your question-- about me personally-- I'm cut/pasting below from another 'tell us about yourself' thread
Well... I guess I should jump in here....

I think you guys can guess my real name. I am a priest in the Old Catholic Church of North America and the vicar of St. Thomas More Old Catholic Mission, a small mission parish in central Florida.
www.saintthomasmorechurch.com . (For those who don't know who OC's are, check out the thread in the 'sticky' section in STR http://www.christianforums.com/t116...c-churches.html

I was the oldest son of an Assemblies of God pastor and grew up in church. I was involved in just about every lay ministry that one could be as a teen. At 15, I felt God calling me to ministry. At 17, I graduated high school and started Southeastern College (now University) of the Assemblies of God. I paid my own way through college, so I took time out periodically to work and pay off bills. During my time at Southeastern I worked with a couple of different non-denominational/charismatic churches. I also spent a couple of years working with a Messianic congregation and studied under a formerly Chassidic, now messianic, rabbi.

While at Southeastern, I also met and married my wonderful wife. I graduated from Southeastern, and started on my M.A. through the Assemblies of God Theological Seminary. During my time at Southeastern, I kept finding that my theology was increasingly in line with the historic/sacramental churches. At AGTS, I came to a place where I had to decide exactly where I 'fit' and after much prayer, I came to the conclusion that God had been leading me to Holy Orders-- it had just taken me a while to figure out what He was up to.

Due to the issues that shall not be discussed occurring that were brewing in ECUSA, I felt I was better suited to be part of the Old Catholics, so I contacted my current bishop. I left AGTS to complete an M.Div. through St. Michael's College (an OC seminary) and was ordained as a transitional deacon. A year later, I was ordained to the priesthood. I am now completing my original M.A. through AGTS-- which is heavy in counseling/psychology. My bishop asked me to pioneer a new mission work here in town and St. Thomas More was born.

Other, more personal, info....
In addition to pastoring STM, I teach a therapeutic unit for severely emotional disturbed middle school kids. I also interpret for the deaf.

I am somewhat of an artist. I enjoy painting. I also make banners for churches. I want to take up stained glass.

Although we have no children in our home currently, my wife and I have been foster parent to 18 children. We do, however, have 2 dogs, 2 cats, and 2 birds.

Fav Book: The Tale of Three Kings by Gene Edwards ( a MUST for anyone considering ministry)
Fav Movie: LOTR trilogy and The Matrix
Fav Food: Ice Cream-- pick a flavor, any flavor
Fav Book of the Bible: ??? If I have to choose, probably 1st Corinthians
Fav Hymn: All Hail the Power
Fav Drink: Cosmopolitan
Fav saint: St. Francis
Fav LOR character: Gandalf
Interesting Random Fact: I've been to 7 different countries.
I understand all the questions/concerns/'I'm not worthy' feelings. Honestly, if you didn't have those then I wouldn't take you seriously. Everyone that God has called has struggled with those same issues. Just look at Gideon, Moses, or Jeremiah. God has a habit of taking the 'foolish things (or people) to confound the wise'. When we think we 'have what it takes' to 'do the ministry', then we are relying on ourself and not on Him and His anointing.

As far as discerning your calling-- it sounds like you are alread doing almost everything that can be done. I would suggest that you find someone on the 'outside' as you said. I know it is difficult to do that when you are considering changing jurisdictions, but it will be greatly helpful to you to hear the heart/struggles of someone who has 'been there/done that'.

I'll be glad to help out any way I can. If you have any questions that you don't think should be asked publicly, feel free to pm me.

Upvote 0

AveMaria

Anglo-Catholic Tat Queen
Aug 2, 2004
✟19,896.00
Faith
Anglican
Politics
US-Democrat
Father Rick said:
I understand all the questions/concerns/'I'm not worthy' feelings. Honestly, if you didn't have those then I wouldn't take you seriously. Everyone that God has called has struggled with those same issues. Just look at Gideon, Moses, or Jeremiah. God has a habit of taking the 'foolish things (or people) to confound the wise'. When we think we 'have what it takes' to 'do the ministry', then we are relying on ourself and not on Him and His anointing.

I may print that off, laminate it, and tape it to my fridge. . .

Upvote 0

Aymn27

Radical Reformationist
Feb 12, 2005
Lake Charles, LA
Visit site
✟19,028.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
MartianTJ said:
I added a quote to my signature on the subject of feeling unworthy--I saw this yesterday in the Teens forum and it really touched me.

Timothy
Thanks for sharing that with us Timothy!!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Aymn27

Radical Reformationist
Feb 12, 2005
Lake Charles, LA
Visit site
✟19,028.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
outcast4christ said:
i'm new to this thread and have definently felt a call to ordained ministry. i'm having trouble getting through college right now though and i could really use the prayers. thanks in advance.
I will pray for you if you pray for me!! LOL!! Not to be nosey but what is your major and what are you having trouble with?? I had some trouble also, but it is probably because I majored in Finance when my love is sociology/psychology, theology, etc...

Upvote 0

TomUK

What would Costanza do?
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2004
Lancashire, UK
✟62,145.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
I was wondering how all your parents and family etc responded to those who are discerning a call. To me it's been a fundamental stage in my discernement.

Were they encouraging, angry, etc?

Upvote 0

outcast4christ

Feb 11, 2005
Beaumont, Texas
✟7,861.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
Aymn27 said:
I will pray for you if you pray for me!! LOL!! Not to be nosey but what is your major and what are you having trouble with?? I had some trouble also, but it is probably because I majored in Finance when my love is sociology/psychology, theology, etc...

My major? I'm just doing liberal arts but I love history. I had to recently drop my history class because I just have too many things going on this semester. My trouble is trying to balance family (parents & siblings) with work and school. It's very stressful. If you need prayers just let me know and I will.

God, I pray for blessings to be on Aymn27.:prayer:

Upvote 0

AveMaria

Anglo-Catholic Tat Queen
Aug 2, 2004
✟19,896.00
Faith
Anglican
Politics
US-Democrat
TomUK said:
I was wondering how all your parents and family etc responded to those who are discerning a call. To me it's been a fundamental stage in my discernement.

Were they encouraging, angry, etc?

Those among my family and friends who have a strong faith have been extremely encouraging. A few even asked me if I'd ever considered Holy Orders before I had a chance to mention it to them.

There are a few exceptions: I do have some fundie evengelical kinfolk who are rabidly opposed to women's ordination, the Anglican Communion, Apostolic succession, etc.

Those among my family and friends who do not have a strong faith, not surprisingly, think I'm nuts. But I'm 'their nut' and they love and support me anyway.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TomUK

What would Costanza do?
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2004
Lancashire, UK
✟62,145.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
I'm just finishing of a form i've been spending the past few weeks filling in for the Bishop, and i was wondering if i'd be able to email it to a few of you just to see what you think. I should be done by Friday.

Upvote 0

outcast4christ

Feb 11, 2005
Beaumont, Texas
✟7,861.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
I just wanted to give a little background info to those who are interested.

I was born in ND on an air force base. When I was 7 my parents divorced and separately remarried. I had to move to live with my mother. I have 5 siblings of which only 2 live with me. My sister moved out recently, so that just leaves me and my half brother and sister. My step brother and sister live with my dad in AZ.

I had a bad case of depression my junior year in high school. This is also when my mother announced that she was pregnant.:eek: During the summer I got the chance to visit my dad but he wasn't around much. I thought that if I could just get away from home that might help, but it didn't. If you can imagine 4 teenagers under the same roof, you know how the summer went...lots of fighting, mainly between my step brother and sister. I stayed out of it which was the smartest thing to do. Needless to say I didn't feel any better when I got to come back home. I went to a Christian Leadership Conference for high schoolers and didn't feel any better until late in the week. While there, I visited the chapel frequently. I finally told God, "Look, You're not listening to me so send me someone that will." Not but five minutes later someone (a youth minister) came in and sat down beside me. He asked me if everything was ok and my first response was yes.:doh: Then I thought about it and maybe this was who God sent because he didn't leave. So then I poured my heart out to him and everything felt better after that. I still get to see him on occasion and he remembers me.

Now, I am in college and still living with my parents. Satan is still trying to get at me though. The student group I used to belong to doesn't want to do any mission or outreach ministries. I wrote them an anonymous letter, but I haven't seen any improvements. My church is bashing the youth director and because I work for her, they are getting at me too.:mad: I just recently attended Cursillo and am in my fourth day. I have been growing more in my faith and pray that God will continue to work through me and use me for His perfect plan, whatever that may be.:holy:

I first felt the call to church ministry when I attended Happening in the spring of my sophomore year in high school. I didn't want to answer yes right away. I wanted to go into law enforcement, but God had a way of changing that thought. I still might go into teaching...that's only if the church does not want me right away as a priest. I know that my calling is to be rector because that is my passion. When I was 10, we had a female priest and I said that's what I want to do. I have had the chance to "preach the message" at the Methodist student center where I was hanging out. I didn't get a direct response but I did get a response. I enjoyed that experience and would love to do that again.

Well, that about wraps up my life in an eggshell. If anyone has any questions, please feel free to respond or send a PM. Thanks for listening.

In His Service, Melissa :pray:

Upvote 0