St. Lawrence Lounge (Vocations, lay-ministries, and discernment)

Zacharias

זכריה
Jun 18, 2004
✟12,721.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Aymn27 said:
I have been investingating other communions and feel especially drawn to the ICCEC or to one of the anglo-Catholic Anglican communions (APCK, UAC, TAC). I have also looked into Old Catholicism, but have a hard time telling which ones are more conservative and which are not. (I also still have the whole hang-up on valid episcopal orders as well, which makes it all the more difficult). If I were to be forced to make a decision - I would seek orders in the ICCEC, since it has most closely the ethos and practice that I feel comfortable with as a post-Vatican II catholic (I am also "mildly" charismatic).

I'm with the ICCEC so if you have any questions regarding us I'll do my best to answer them. :)

Upvote 0

Aymn27

Radical Reformationist
Feb 12, 2005
Lake Charles, LA
Visit site
✟19,028.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Freak4JC said:
I'm with the ICCEC so if you have any questions regarding us I'll do my best to answer them. :)
Thank you for the response! I was blessed to meet a very fine priest in your communion online. Fr. Matt is a priest at Church of the Holy Martyrs in Connecticut (I believe??!!). We have corresponded by email several times and he has answered many of the questions I have about your communion. If you have any time check out his webpage and read his articles. Fr. Matt is a very deep thinker and has great articles (the reason I contacted him in the first place was to comment on his article on consensual catholicism).

If I may ask, where do you live and what church do you attend? I live in Louisiana and in order to began studying/discerning for the priesthood I will have to move (probably to Texas or Alabama).

Pax, Aaron

Upvote 0

Aymn27

Radical Reformationist
Feb 12, 2005
Lake Charles, LA
Visit site
✟19,028.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Father Rick said:
Well, I am charismatic and part of one of the very conserative Old Catholic jurisdictions...

any way I can help-- just let me know!

Blessings!
Thank you for the response! Does your jurisdiction ordain women?? Though personally I am not "opposed" to it, I have reservations about communions that do so, simply because I believe that such a step would have to involve the entire church "catholic". Since the Eastern Orthodox, Oriental Orthodox and RCC do not ordain women, I would not join a jurisdiction that does.

I do not intend to be judgmental or sexist in this! I simply believe that ordaining women breaks from the Vincentian Canon. Personally, it would not offend me if the church Catholic did start doing so, however, I don't feel that I have the authority to decide those things or the intelligence to discern the validity of the sacraments by those who do...

In charity,
Aaron

Upvote 0

Zacharias

זכריה
Jun 18, 2004
✟12,721.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Aymn27 said:
If I may ask, where do you live and what church do you attend? I live in Louisiana and in order to began studying/discerning for the priesthood I will have to move (probably to Texas or Alabama).

Pax, Aaron

All that I can "publicly" give... I live in the central time zone. I'll PM you. :)

Upvote 0

Father Rick

Peace be with you
Jun 23, 2004
Sitting at this computer
Visit site
✟21,921.00
Country
Thailand
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Private
Aymn27 said:
Thank you for the response! Does your jurisdiction ordain women?? Though personally I am not "opposed" to it, I have reservations about communions that do so, simply because I believe that such a step would have to involve the entire church "catholic". Since the Eastern Orthodox, Oriental Orthodox and RCC do not ordain women, I would not join a jurisdiction that does.

I do not intend to be judgmental or sexist in this! I simply believe that ordaining women breaks from the Vincentian Canon. Personally, it would not offend me if the church Catholic did start doing so, however, I don't feel that I have the authority to decide those things or the intelligence to discern the validity of the sacraments by those who do...

In charity,
Aaron
We do allow women to be ordained-- as was the case in the earliest days of the church, although there are very few women who have sought orders through us.

Currently, we have 1 female priest in Florida who serves as a prison chaplain and 1 female permanent deacon in Tennessee.

Upvote 0

Aymn27

Radical Reformationist
Feb 12, 2005
Lake Charles, LA
Visit site
✟19,028.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Father Rick said:
We do allow women to be ordained-- as was the case in the earliest days of the church, although there are very few women who have sought orders through us.

Currently, we have 1 female priest in Florida who serves as a prison chaplain and 1 female permanent deacon in Tennessee.
I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on female ordination. I've seen arguments for both sides and thus far I haven't seen anything that would convince me that there were female priests in the early church. Thank you very much for responding to my posts though!

Upvote 0

Aymn27

Radical Reformationist
Feb 12, 2005
Lake Charles, LA
Visit site
✟19,028.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
benedictine said:
They're in the Bible. Look at the End of Romans. Specifically, Phoebe, Prisca(Priscilla in anothre chapter), Julia.
I've seen those, but there is nothing (that I can see) that indicates they were priests. I do not disagree that there were female deacons, however, I have not seen any conclusive evidence that there were female priests. Truly, you may be absolutely correct in your position, but for my own belief and practice, I will follow the current practice of of the Eastern Ortho/Roman/Oriental churches in regards to this. As I have said before, Benedictine, I am not being judgmental or sexist - it is just an area where I feel a universal consensus should take place, and that has not happened (at least not yet :)).

Blessings,
Aaron

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TomUK

What would Costanza do?
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2004
Lancashire, UK
✟62,145.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
Guys, would you mind if i asked you to pray for me this evening. I have a decision to make by Friday which i'm finding really tough. Hopefully i'll share more tomorrow as i'm exhausted at the moment (it's past 2AM) but in short my issue is what to do for the next couple of years- i've been accepted for course i really want to do , but it would mean putting off the prospect of ordination for a couple of years also. If you could pray for clarity, discernement and just generally being able to fully committ myself to one thing or another it would really be appreciated.

Upvote 0

Zacharias

זכריה
Jun 18, 2004
✟12,721.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
TomUK said:
Guys, would you mind if i asked you to pray for me this evening. I have a decision to make by Friday which i'm finding really tough. Hopefully i'll share more tomorrow as i'm exhausted at the moment (it's past 2AM) but in short my issue is what to do for the next couple of years- i've been accepted for course i really want to do , but it would mean putting off the prospect of ordination for a couple of years also. If you could pray for clarity, discernement and just generally being able to fully committ myself to one thing or another it would really be appreciated.

Almighty God, who hast given us grace at this time with one
accord to make our common supplication unto thee; and
hast promised through thy well_beloved Son that when two
or three are gathered together in his Name thou wilt be in the
midst of them: Fulfill now, O Lord, the desires and petitions
of thy servants as may be best for us; granting us in this
world knowledge of thy truth, and in the world to come life
everlasting. Amen.

I'll be praying for you. :prayer:

Upvote 0

Father Rick

Peace be with you
Jun 23, 2004
Sitting at this computer
Visit site
✟21,921.00
Country
Thailand
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Private
Aymn27 said:
I've seen those, but there is nothing (that I can see) that indicates they were priests. I do not disagree that there were female deacons, however, I have not seen any conclusive evidence that there were female priests. Truly, you may be absolutely correct in your position, but for my own belief and practice, I will follow the current practice of of the Eastern Ortho/Roman/Oriental churches in regards to this. As I have said before, Benedictine, I am not being judgmental or sexist - it is just an area where I feel a universal consensus should take place, and that has not happened (at least not yet :)).

Blessings,
Aaron
Well... if you're ever interested, we could get into the debate as to proofs one way or the other....

In the meantime, I'll be happy to help with your questions anyway I can.

Upvote 0

Zacharias

זכריה
Jun 18, 2004
✟12,721.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Father Rick said:
Well... if you're ever interested, we could get into the debate as to proofs one way or the other....

I'd like you post it. I don't want to debate it, however I would love to see clear Biblical/Early Church Documental proofs. Not those ones with lack of clarity and structure. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Aymn27

Radical Reformationist
Feb 12, 2005
Lake Charles, LA
Visit site
✟19,028.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Father Rick said:

LOL!! Maybe another time on the debate!! (and on another thread). So which jurisdiction do you belong to Fr. Rick? I am somewhat familiar with the OC faith - I know it has valid sacraments! Are your masses more traditional or more "low church"? You mentioned being charismatic - are the gifts used during the course of your mass?

Upvote 0

Father Rick

Peace be with you
Jun 23, 2004
Sitting at this computer
Visit site
✟21,921.00
Country
Thailand
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Private
Aymn27 said:
LOL!! Maybe another time on the debate!! (and on another thread). So which jurisdiction do you belong to Fr. Rick? I am somewhat familiar with the OC faith - I know it has valid sacraments! Are your masses more traditional or more "low church"? You mentioned being charismatic - are the gifts used during the course of your mass?
I'm part of the Old Catholic church of North America.

Our mass is fairly 'middle of the road'. Sometimes a little more 'contemporary' as to music, etc. Sometimes a little more traditional.

As to charismatic gifts-- We normally allow time for anointing of the sick immediately following Eucharist (while the altar is being cleared, etc) before the concluding prayers. During this time, it is not uncommon for charismatic gifts to manifest.

We are also planning to start healing masses on a regular basis (once a month or so).

Upvote 0

ps139

Ab omni malo, libera nos, Domine!
Sep 23, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
✟30,407.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Just a friendly reminder from your favorite Catholic moderator ;)

This is primarily a fellowship thread, lets keep it that way. Debating by those not in the Anglican Communion is not allowed in the STR Anglican subforum. Please respect the rules, and if you have any questions, PM me, I will be happy to answer.

For a nice refresher on the forum-specific rules, please check here: http://www.christianforums.com/t713425-scripturetraditionreason-anglican-forum-rules.html

Thanks! :)

Upvote 0

Aymn27

Radical Reformationist
Feb 12, 2005
Lake Charles, LA
Visit site
✟19,028.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
ps139 said:
Just a friendly reminder from your favorite Catholic moderator ;)

This is primarily a fellowship thread, lets keep it that way. Debating by those not in the Anglican Communion is not allowed in the STR Anglican subforum. Please respect the rules, and if you have any questions, PM me, I will be happy to answer.

For a nice refresher on the forum-specific rules, please check here: http://www.christianforums.com/t713425-scripturetraditionreason-anglican-forum-rules.html

Thanks! :)
Exactly why I took a pass on the debate!!! LOL!

Upvote 0