St. Lawrence Lounge (Vocations, lay-ministries, and discernment)

Father Rick

Peace be with you
Jun 23, 2004
Sitting at this computer
Visit site
✟21,921.00
Country
Thailand
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Private
It depends on the school... and also on what your jurisdiction requires.

My undergrad was at Southeastern College (now Southeastern University) which was a fully accredited liberal arts school... whose focus was training for ministry. The school actually has dual accredition both by secular and Bible School accrediting agencies. My Bachelors is actually in Church Ministries. I was required to do all the 'usual' undergrad courses-- math, English, etc. as well as majoring course in Bible, Church history, hermeneutics, homilectics, etc.

Since I had already taken them at an undergrad level, I was able to exempt 12 hours worth of classes on my Master's Degree. I actually started a M.A. in Church Ministries through the Assemblies of God Theological Seminary... stopped.. Got my M. Div. through St. Michael's College (an OC seminary), and am now am back finishing up my M.A. through AGTS.

Now... most jurisdictions will require at least a M.A. (usually an M.Div.) before ordaining to the priesthood. Many are ordained to the diaconate while completing their grad degree. Check with your diocese to see what they require. If you do part of your work while still an undergrad, you can speed up the process many times. This is why it is important to at least start the 'fact finding' portion of the discernment process as early as possible.

Upvote 0

AveMaria

Anglo-Catholic Tat Queen
Aug 2, 2004
✟19,896.00
Faith
Anglican
Politics
US-Democrat
Father Rick said:
16 days and counting for Ave to make the dreaded phone call!

Not that anyone's counting! Ah well, as my best friend said, "Worst case scenario is he'll laugh you out of his office and you KNOW that won't happen, so there is no worst case scenario!"

benedictine said:
You're not the only one who's intimidated.

I feel better knowing that!

Upvote 0

Timothy

Mad Anglican geek at large
Jan 1, 2004
Birmingham.... [Bur-min'-um]
✟17,765.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Father Rick, in the UK, you only need a Bachelors in Theology--has to be from an accredited college, though, so people with a previous B.Th, will need to study extra stuff, I believe. The CofE Website has more info. It might have something to do with the fact that our Bachelors are roughly equivalent to your masters, as our A-level graduates are roughly on par to your bachelors graduates. :)

Timothy

Upvote 0

benedictine

No Surrender, No desertion - Whatever Happens.
Nov 1, 2003
a round blue, brown and green sphere, floating in
Visit site
✟5,307.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
I have now talked to my priest. He couldn't talk at the moment, so we're goingto talk this aternoon at the church super bowl party. He does know what it's about. He seemed rather happy.

Upvote 0

benedictine

Nov 1, 2003
Visit site
✟5,307.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
He told me some things. Various college courses I might take. Some colleges I should think about attending. Why I needed a background in philosophical thinking. Stuff like that. It sureley wasn't what I was expecting. He didn't talk about the actual ministry side of it, just about college.

Pax Vobisum, Benedictine

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AveMaria

Anglo-Catholic Tat Queen
Aug 2, 2004
✟19,896.00
Faith
Anglican
Politics
US-Democrat
Speaking of confusion, I did ponder for a while on whether I possibly was called to be a nun. . . but after a whole lot of prayer (along the lines of "Oh, please God, no. . . I like men!") I think I can discount that possibility.

Anyhow, I'm still confused, but I've been told that's perfectly fine, normal, and healthy.

Upvote 0

Father Rick

Peace be with you
Jun 23, 2004
Sitting at this computer
Visit site
✟21,921.00
Country
Thailand
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Private
Iron Sun 254 said:
Okay, I have a question...how does one know if they have a calling for the priesthood? Sometimes I feel like it's something I need to do...other times I feel the direct opposite. How do you know?
Well...

There are several answers to this question.

Sometimes one has a very clear cut call from God. God's called you and you just KNOW He's called you. Sometimes this may be through more 'supernatural' means, such as a vision from God, a prophecy, or some such-- but usually it is just a 'knowing' from in your spirit. Biblical examples of this would be St. Paul or Samuel.

The second way to know you are being called is by being recognized by those in leadership. Part of the anointing that comes with leadership is the ability to recognize/train other leaders. Biblical examples of this would be Elijah/Elisha or Samuel/King David.

A third way is by simply wanting to be called. Paul wrote, "Does anyone desire to be a bishop? He desires a good thing. Let him meet the following qualifications..." (I paraphrased)

All of these are EQUALLY valid ways of being called.

Now scripture also says "Many are called, few are chosen"... the better translation of that literally says, "Many are called, few choose their calling". There are many who are called by God who decide not to follow that call and instead live a 'normal' Christian life (if there is such a thing). This is acceptable to do, and scripture is full of examples of those who chose not to go into leadership. While the struggles/responsibilities that come with leadership are greater, so is the rewards. One can choose to not accept the call, but they will never know the fullness of what God has for them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

benedictine

Nov 1, 2003
Visit site
✟5,307.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
Father Rick said:
Well...

There are several answers to this question.

Sometimes one has a very clear cut call from God. God's called you and you just KNOW He's called you. Sometimes this may be through more 'supernatural' means, such as a vision from God, a prophecy, or some such-- but usually it is just a 'knowing' from in your spirit. Biblical examples of this would be St. Paul or Samuel.

The second way to know you are being called is by being recognized by those in leadership. Part of the anointing that comes with leadership is the ability to recognize/train other leaders. Biblical examples of this would be Elijah/Elisha or Samuel/King David.

A third way is by simply wanting to be called. Paul wrote, "Does anyone desire to be a bishop? He desires a good thing. Let him meet the following qualifications..." (I paraphrased)

1- Yes. I'm srue I'm called to be a leader in the church. I believe it's as a priest.

2-I was volunteered to be on a Children's ministry committiee. (Yet, I'm the only male, only teenager. I help wuith just about everything the comittiee does, so I guess that's why.)

I was junior Acolyte of theYear. I'm the only male, non senior acolyte team captain.

3-Well. I certainly want to be a priest.

Upvote 0

Aymn27

Radical Reformationist
Feb 12, 2005
Lake Charles, LA
Visit site
✟19,028.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I only have a few seconds to drop a line, but I'll come back and put some more info later. I am a married w/children RC male who is discerning a call to the priesthood in another communion. I hope this thread isn't "dead" because I would like to join in the discussion!! I will post again when I have more time to give details and ask some questions of you all!

Blessings and peace,
Aaron

Upvote 0

Zacharias

זכריה
Jun 18, 2004
✟12,721.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Aymn27 said:
I hope this thread isn't "dead" because I would like to join in the discussion!! I will post again when I have more time to give details and ask some questions of you all!

Blessings and peace,
Aaron

Welcome Aaron,

This thread is alive and well.

Upvote 0

Aymn27

Radical Reformationist
Feb 12, 2005
Lake Charles, LA
Visit site
✟19,028.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Greetings and peace!

Ok, just as an introduction, I'd like to give you some more info on myself (this is not an attempt for attention or am I self obsorbed!, LOL). Anyway, I am a cradle Roman Catholic. I was an altar boy beginning in the 3rd grade until the 11th grade. I was asked by two priests, two CCD teachers and a girl friend's mom to consider a vocation to the RC priesthood. Of course, as a normal heterosexual teenage male in the US - that was simply out of the question (chastity yes, celibacy no way)! I dropped out of the church when attending college and come back a year after I was married.

My wife and I helped on youth retreats, taught CCD and eventually became youth ministers at our church. We both quit our regular jobs and worked for over two years at a group home for at risk teens. After quitting that job and entering the "normal" workforce again, I was blessed with the opportunity to pursue a master's degree in pastoral studies through my Diocese. The diocesan head of youth ministry offered to pay for my degree and was planning to hire me in her position since she was elevated to a higher position over youth ministry, religious ed, etc..However, due to various reasons, the job was never created - so here I am, getting a Master's at the end of this year with no place to use it! LOL...

At any rate, after beginning to work with youth and in the church, I knew in my heart that I had "missed" my calling to the priesthood, but I was now married and would soon have children so I just dismissed the notion and continued with my life. I assumed one day I would be a deacon and that would answer the call. One Sunday during the consecration at mass, God stirred up that call again, but in a profound way. You see, the priest at mass was a married priest who had been accepted as an Episcopal convert and allowed to be a priest. I thought for the first time how ridiculous it was that I could not be a priest because I was married and Catholic all my life, but how he could be married and not Catholic, but be a priest! I tried to reject the thoughts - thinking I was being selfish - desiring to become a priest when married, I mean after all, I could be a deacon. It has been three years since I God stirred up that desire and here I am, still longing to be a priest. I have no problem with being a deacon, but my heart tells me I'm called to the priesthood. I can't explain it, I just know it!

And now, here I am, posting to this board! Through my studies I have come to reject some of the "legalistic" as well as some of the theological positions(papal supremecy, immaculate conception of Mary, original sin) of Rome - however, if the Roman church allowed married priests, that would be where I would stay. I have thought of becoming Eastern Orthodox, but I like the more "low church" of the Novus Ordo. I have been investingating other communions and feel especially drawn to the ICCEC or to one of the anglo-Catholic Anglican communions (APCK, UAC, TAC). I have also looked into Old Catholicism, but have a hard time telling which ones are more conservative and which are not. (I also still have the whole hang-up on valid episcopal orders as well, which makes it all the more difficult). If I were to be forced to make a decision - I would seek orders in the ICCEC, since it has most closely the ethos and practice that I feel comfortable with as a post-Vatican II catholic (I am also "mildly" charismatic).

Well that's enough for now. Thanks for listening to my ramblings!! May His peace be with all of you!!

Blessings,
Aaron

Upvote 0