1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

St. Lawrence Lounge (Vocations, lay-ministries, and discernment)

Discussion in 'Scripture,Tradition,Reason-Anglican & Old Catholic' started by benedictine, Jan 1, 2005.

1. alexier

alexier Stand Firm In Faith Supporter

+1,193
    United Kingdom
    Anglican
    Engaged
    Thank you so much for this...I've been talking to a New Principal who wholeheartedly agrees that we need to look at what peoples future should look like. To have a direction over a certain set of years (say :- Over 7 years this is what'll happen, this is the possible shape of ministry) I know many will argue that it doesn't allow for the Holy Spirit but actually it does because the clarity of training for Ordinands or those looking at Lay ministry means the Holy Spirit flow freely when its not having to sort through procedural matters lol

2. Paidiske

Paidiske Clara bonam audax Supporter

+17,187
    Australia
    Anglican
    Married
    The problem I had was that I was the first ordination candidate ever to fall pregnant at my college, so they had never thought about it and had no idea how to handle my need for some flexibility. So instead they kicked me out until after my daughter was born. Talk about ridiculous...

Does your diocese have something like a "Year of Discernment" programme? I found that enormously valuable.

3. Feuerbach

Feuerbach Continuing Anglican

+55
    Anglican
    Married
    Good morning (well, it's morning here in the US),

I would like to ask everyone's prayers. I have been pretty quiet about it and I'll try to keep this short, but at the Synod of the Diocese of Mid-America of the Anglican Province of America (APA) July 28-29 the Diocesan Standing Committee will be voting on whether to approve me to be ordained to the (transitional) diaconate. I was previously recommended by my vicar (who is also the bishop) and approved by the Vestry of my parish earlier this year.

Thank you all.

4. Paidiske

+17,187
    Australia
    Anglican
    Married
    Ah, stressful times, Feuerbach. Praying for God's will in the decision, and peace and joy for you, whatever the outcome.

5. Feuerbach

+55
    Anglican
    Married
    Update: the diocesan standing committee has approved my candidacy and ordination to the transitional diaconate (no date set yet). :)

6. CanadianAnglican

CanadianAnglican Evangelical charismatic Anglican Catholic

+103
    Anglican
    Private
    Congratulations! That's wonderful news! May God inspire you more and more in your ministry.

7. Paidiske

+17,187
    Australia
    Anglican
    Married
    :) Excellent, Feuerbach.

Have you finished all of your studies, or do you still have the last part to slog through?

8. Feuerbach

+55
    Anglican
    Married
    The short answer is that I went to seminary about 10 years ago and at the end of it; ended the process toward ordination. This is a picking up where I left off kind of thing.

9. Paidiske

+17,187
    Australia
    Anglican
    Married
    Ah, that makes it less stressful. Those last months while I was doing pre-ordination interviews and trying to finish study (with a one-year-old!) were not the most relaxed I have had...

10. alexier

+1,193
    United Kingdom
    Anglican
    Engaged
    Fantastic news Feuerbach - that's great to hear..My fella is going through selection again after ending studies early years ago...It was incredibly tough at the time but I see a huge difference this time.

11. Walsinghsm Way

Walsinghsm Way New Member

+31
    United States
    Anglican
    Married
    US-Republican
    Baruch Hashem, y'all

Has anyone here gone through discernment process for the OPA (Anglican Dominicans) I have begun exploring that form of spirituality as a 'corrective' to my Eastern leanings and as a complementary exercise to my desire to earn. M.A. Theology from a distance learning RCC that focuses on Thomistic philosophy (and theology), and wanted to see if I was alone in this exploration.

Thanks

12. Paidiske

+17,187
    Australia
    Anglican
    Married
    Hi Walsinghsm Way, it's not something I'm familiar with, but I hope someone here can respond usefully. Welcome to this little Anglican corner of the forum, though!

13. Shane R

Shane R Priest Supporter

+875
    United States
    Anglican
    Widowed
    My jurisdiction's affiliate monastic order is Cistercian: Home

Abbot Oscar would likely refer you to St. Stephen Harding Theological College & Seminary: St. Stephen Harding Theological College and Seminary

14. Walsinghsm Way

Walsinghsm Way New Member

+31
    United States
    Anglican
    Married
    US-Republican
    I should perhaps localize myself. I am (currently) a member of The Episcopal Church, worshipping at Church of Our Saviour, Atlanta (in the Diocese of Atlanta) though finding myself out of lockstep with the direction that faith and order has taken in my Church of late.

The OPA as canonical recognized is a dispersed apostolic order committed to the spirit of St Dominic as to preaching the scripture unto salvation of souls. Full membership is open to those baprized (and confirmed?) into the Episcopal Church , or are in communion with TEC/Canterbury, but associate and oblaate membership has no such restrictions.

15. alexier

+1,193
    United Kingdom
    Anglican
    Engaged
    I was just going to ask about an update....fab news and I hope all is going well with you!

16. Arcangl86

Arcangl86 Newbie

+5,667
    Anglican
    Single
    US-Green
    For those here who are priests or deacons, how did you discern which of the orders you were called to.

17. Paidiske

+17,187
    Australia
    Anglican
    Married
    It took a long time, for me. Even though I applied for ordination as a priest, when I did so, I did have the thought in mind that I wasn't sure whether the distinctive diaconate was right, and I might not proceed to priesthood. (It's easier to apply for priesthood and not go ahead, than to apply for the diaconate and later convince them to priest you after all, if that makes sense).

I think part of it for me was the process of doing field placements and so forth and seeing how those roles functioned in real life on the ground. In theory, I think I could have felt fulfilled in my vocation as a deacon. In practice, the church (at least where I am) doesn't really seem to know what to do with distinctive deacons, and meaningful roles are few and far between. So partly for me it was a pragmatic decision about where I would actually be able to contribute in a way that used all my gifts and strengths.

18. Arcangl86

Arcangl86 Newbie

+5,667
    Anglican
    Single
    US-Green
    And I think that's part of what I am currently struggling with. I'm still struggling with some questions of vocation, but part of it is definitely the same issue of the Church still being uncertain about the role of a permanent deacon. It's changing, but for now it's an order that is primarly made up of people who are retired from secular vocations.

19. Paidiske

+17,187
    Australia
    Anglican
    Married
    Most of the distinctive deacons I know who've really made it work have taken up chaplaincy roles. Hospital, prison or school work, rather than being based in a parish.

Once I'd discerned that I definitely felt called to parish work rather than chaplaincy, I didn't see a future for a vibrant ministry as a distinctive deacon in that setting. Not with things the way they are now.

20. Deegie

Deegie Priest of the Church Supporter

+134
    United States
    Anglican
    Married
    US-Democrat
    For me, it was really two things which did it. The first was realizing early on as a LEM that I belonged behind the altar. That it just felt right. This was actually one of the experiences which first led me toward discernment for holy orders.

The second was an analysis of the actual tasks which I felt God was calling me to perform. They were primarily preaching, teaching, blessing, liturgical leadership, and parish administration...all of these are more part of the priestly calling than the diaconal one. If those tasks had been more in the realm of outreach, caring for the least and the lost, and other service ministries, then perhaps my discernment process would have been different.