Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Few questions in theology bear as directly on the lives of ordinary believers as does that of the relationship between grace and free will. As Christians, we know that we are to seek to please God and obey His commandments; yet we also believe that He helps us in such a way that to think that we have pleased Him, through our own unaided efforts, would be an act of pride. Already there is, if not outright contradiction, at least considerable tension between these two beliefs.

St John Chrysostom On Grace and Free Will

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,158,778.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Few questions in theology bear as directly on the lives of ordinary believers as does that of the relationship between grace and free will. As Christians, we know that we are to seek to please God and obey His commandments; yet we also believe that He helps us in such a way that to think that we have pleased Him, through our own unaided efforts, would be an act of pride. Already there is, if not outright contradiction, at least considerable tension between these two beliefs.

St John Chrysostom On Grace and Free Will
For me John chapter fifteen verses 1 through 17 aids greatly, especially if I read carefully, taking my time to hear His words, pausing, noticing all the words. (Perhaps in more than one translation, including a good modern one like the ESV).

Reactions: Nick Moser
Upvote 0