St. Euphrosynos Taverna and Ouzeri 44 (6)

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟136,558.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Arabic DL is something else. Especially "Rejoice Oh Unwedded Bride" :liturgy:

It is simply not worth explaining linguistics to those who don't care. It took a while for my family to believe me when I kept telling them that "Allah" is God for both Christians and Muslims.

Upvote 0

Shieldmaiden4Christ

Eastward bound
Aug 28, 2013
Where the Wild Things Are
✟16,564.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Arabic DL is something else. Especially "Rejoice Oh Unwedded Bride" :liturgy:

It is simply not worth explaining linguistics to those who don't care. It took a while for my family to believe me when I kept telling them that "Allah" is God for both Christians and Muslims.

Yeah, I know. I'm just going to let xenophobes enjoy their own ignorance from now on. It's not worth the trouble educating the willfully ignorant.

Upvote 0

gzt

The age of the Earth is 4.54 ± 0.07 billion years
Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟117,815.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
So, I suppose most of you guys have choirs that have a couple different settings for things. Say, the Cherubic Hymn. And some of you have congregations that participate a fair bit. Does the choir in any way telegraph their selections to the people, and does that engender mass confusion (if they're choosing between, say, a couple different well-known settings of some familiar piece)?

In my experience, the answer is "no", and "no". But I'm trying to introduce this idea that we don't have to sing the same thing every time, but doing something else won't throw everybody off once they're used to it, and the reaction I am getting is skeptical...

Upvote 0

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟136,558.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
My parish back home would actually have the troparion and kontakion on small print-outs in the narthex. Sometimes, say during Lent or Advent, they would have a spot on the print-out for the seasonal hymns. They sang "It is Truly Meet" a lot and if they were planning something else than they would have in the print-out a spot that read, "in place of It is Truly Meet..."

People actually sang! ^_^

Upvote 0

gzt

Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟117,815.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
We have handouts with the troparia, kontakia, and stuff in place of "it is truly meet", but I'm talking about, say, if they wanted to have two different settings of the Trisagion ro the Antiphons or two different settings of "It is truly meet...".

Upvote 0

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,297,094.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I'm chiming in here as we have a similar sort of problem - except it's actually getting the people to sing the Troparia etc - they won't :( It doesn't help of course that we have no pew books and no choir.

For 8 weeks we did actually put out bi-lingual sheets with the Troparia, Kontakia, Theotokion etc on - in the correct Tone [ guess who the typist was :( ] but they refused to use them :(

As for the Changes to "It is truly meet .... " well by the end of Pascha they ~might ~ remember. At other times in the Liturgical year - <shudder>

Now we are almost into the Fast and it will be St Basil's Liturgy and I know what's going to happen. :cry: :cry:

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
So, I suppose most of you guys have choirs that have a couple different settings for things. Say, the Cherubic Hymn. And some of you have congregations that participate a fair bit. Does the choir in any way telegraph their selections to the people, and does that engender mass confusion (if they're choosing between, say, a couple different well-known settings of some familiar piece)?

In my experience, the answer is "no", and "no". But I'm trying to introduce this idea that we don't have to sing the same thing every time, but doing something else won't throw everybody off once they're used to it, and the reaction I am getting is skeptical...

Things rarely vary in our parish, but it doesn't seem to cause much problem. There is not mass confusion, no. When the Cherubic Hymn changed - ONE time that I've ever heard - it was as if I was the only one who realized it was different. Didn't phase anyone in the slightest. And there was no note anywhere.

If the chanters sing instead of the choir and sing, few or no one sings with them. If the language is changed (to English) they won't sing until a few weeks later. In fact, yesterday was the first time I've heard the chanter do the part during the Eucharist, and the first time I've ever heard it in English and knew what was said (too many words I don't know yet in Greek). The lady behind me sang the whole thing in Greek as we walked up, so I had to concentrate to pick up the English. :)

But the choir is loud. The congregation follows. And I guess they are at least familiar with it all. (Strange, I thought, since I've heard it only once so far.)

Upvote 0

gzt

Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟117,815.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Hmm, I got a directive today not to use music directly sourced from one of my previous parishes. I can, however, use that music if I find it from other sources? I fear next I will be directed only to use music I do not already know.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

gzt

Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟117,815.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Some things are perhaps not well thought out. I do appreciate the desire not to have the musical program of another parish plopped right on top of another. However, I am trying no such thing, as it would be impossible without a couple professional singers and a large choir.

Upvote 0

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,297,094.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
That I can well appreciate - but at the same time what's wrong with occasionally using a different chant melody ?

Our Parish uses two different melodies for the Trisagion - one on Sundays and another for a Panachyda. One Sunday , following a stay with my Confessor , no one started the Trisagion [ well the 'Chanter' wasn't there so the it's his job not mine attitude came out] I started it and suddenly realised I wasn't using 'our chant' and to my surprise the congregation joined in - it was clearly known ! It's a lovely chant - so why don't we sing it from time to time ?

A little variation at times is good for everyone

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Expecting jackstraw to visit Rusmeister's castle within the hour! Going to do some reading about Chesterton with a group from our church congregation and general visiting!

Ah, I'm jealous!

Our parish does have a good Bible study though. :) Except we miss two of them this month - one for a liturgy, and one for Father having to go to a conference.

Hope you all enjoy! :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

jckstraw72

Doin' that whole Orthodox thing
Dec 9, 2005
South Canaan, PA
Visit site
✟64,422.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
Expecting jackstraw to visit Rusmeister's castle within the hour! Going to do some reading about Chesterton with a group from our church congregation and general visiting!

and i understood every single word that was uttered in Russian! y'all believe me, right? right!?!

Upvote 0