St. Euphrosynos Taverna and Ouzeri 44 (2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael G

Abe Frohmann
Feb 22, 2004
Six-burgh, Pa
Visit site
✟95,591.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What do you mean Michael - I seem to recall that there is a wedding or some such thing going on in London ?

I wasn't invited. The only weddings I care about are the ones where I actually get to go to the reception and eat Wedding Cake OR if I am invited to photograph the wedding.

Upvote 0

Michael G

Abe Frohmann
Feb 22, 2004
Six-burgh, Pa
Visit site
✟95,591.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
There is??:confused:

Yeah, London, the same city the United States spared from German occupation in the 40s. Does that make it suburb of Washington DC?

Sorry, I really do not understand the occupation with the Brittish Royal Family among the celeb watchers here in the US.

Upvote 0

Philothei

Love never fails
Nov 4, 2006
Northeast, USA
✟68,179.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I have questions....Why he did not wear a ring also?

I know they did not kiss as the royal protocol forbits it...

But to sing in your own wedding? And where was the Gospel and epistle reading? ah...maybe this is not a sacrament? or do they consider this a sacrament.... Does the Church of England believe that the Holy Martrimony is a sacrament?

Upvote 0

-Kyriaki-

seeking answers in stillness
Sep 30, 2002
South Australia
Visit site
✟15,627.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
There was an epistle reading, it was from Romans and Princess Catherine's brother read it. No Gospel reading, no idea why but I don't think they have to have one. I can't remember if my parents did (they got married in an Anglican service).

Oh my GOSH I want her dress. Maybe not so long a train though. May it start a fashion for long lace sleeves, because my skin is retarded so I want a dress that doesn't show off all of my arms and shoulders :)

Preeeetttyyy. Andrew ignored me and read a comic book series about zombies. Boys. :p

I can't remember if it's a formal Sacrament or not in the CoE, I'd have to check. I think so?

Also, there's nothing against singing at your own wedding in the west - it's congregational singing, so everyone signs :)

Don't know about him and no ring, but as far as I can remember the man wearing a wedding ring is quite a new tradition, so I would think it's a royal 'can't change' thing.

Upvote 0

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,288,670.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Correct Kyriaki :) Only 1 reading as far as I remember from my own wedding [ which was CofE ]

Weddings rings are not common among the male English, and I seem to remember a comment about Royals not wearing one either. Also Prince William is a serving member in the Air Force and this could be problematical in his daily work [ Search and Rescue ]

I hear the dress was nice - but I've watched nothing about the wedding - just not interested. They are a young couple and I wish them well - but the Family do not have a recent history of successful marriages - hopefully this one will be different

Upvote 0

Philothei

Love never fails
Nov 4, 2006
Northeast, USA
✟68,179.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
]There was an epistle reading, it was from Romans and Princess Catherine's brother read it. No Gospel reading, no idea why but I don't think they have to have one. I can't remember if my parents did (they got married in an Anglican service).

Oh my GOSH I want her dress. Maybe not so long a train though. May it start a fashion for long lace sleeves, because my skin is retarded so I want a dress that doesn't show off all of my arms and shoulders :)
Ah...ok. No Gospel reading gotcha.:cool:

Preeeetttyyy. Andrew ignored me and read a comic book series about zombies. Boys. :p
I would be reading comics too :cool::p^_^Not a bit intereested in the dress either ;) Never was...If you look on FB I got my wedding pic... I think the dress was like 200 dollars...:D reduced from $2,000.

I can't remember if it's a formal Sacrament or not in the CoE, I'd have to check. I think so?

Also, there's nothing against singing at your own wedding in the west - it's congregational singing, so everyone signs :)

Right.... it is just odd as in the EO you are so much nervous (at least I was) and you are soo busy doing the dancing ^_^^_^^_^ around the table etc...that you do not have the time to sing at your own wedding. Of course it is a prayer and you can pray away as you please....

Don't know about him and no ring, but as far as I can remember the man wearing a wedding ring is quite a new tradition, so I would think it's a royal 'can't change' thing.

Why in the Orthodox tradition do we wear the wedding ring on the right hand? | Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese

Exchange of RingsDuring the Betrothal, the rings are blessed over the heads of the bride and groom three times, after which they are placed on the fourth finger of the right hand. The Koumbaro then exchanges the rings three times, taking the bride's ring and placing it on the groom's finger and vice-versa. The rings, of course, are the symbol of betrothal from the most ancient times. The exchange signifies that in married life the weakness of the one partner will be compensated for by the strength of the other, the imperfections of one by the perfections of the other. By themselves, the newly betrothed are incomplete; together they are made perfect. Thus the exchange of rings gives expression to the fact that the spouses in marriage will constantly be complementing each other. Each will be enriched by the union. The Betrothal ends with a prayer that the Lord might make their betrothal strong in faith, truth and love, and make them of one mind; and that He would grant them His heavenly blessings.

Customs & Traditions - Greek Orthodox Wedding

Yeah but that does not show how equally yoked both are IMHO.

Upvote 0

Khaleas

Also known as Jenn the Finn :)
Feb 2, 2005
Virginia
✟9,581.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Certainly a man with a beard with a black raso and klobuk and panagia. Archbishop Gregorios maybe? I didn't recognize. All I know is it wasn't Metropolitan Kallistos.

I thought it was kind of a cool sighting.

Yup, it was Abp Gregorios!

Someone said here that Prince Philip has converted back to Orthodoxy a few years ago as the law was changed that the spouse does not need to be Anglican anymore. There's even rumors that Prince Charles has converted to Orthodoxy in secret and it's one of the reasons he might never be king. He's said to have a fairly extensive icon corner at his residence.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

choirfiend

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Jul 2, 2005
Pennsylvania
✟54,941.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I know they did not kiss as the royal protocol forbits it... ?

Actually, as a clergy member said, it is the solemnity of being in the church that precludes a kiss. You don't kiss in Orthodox services, traditionally, either. It's an American vulgarity.

Upvote 0

Ortho_Cat

Orthodox Christian
Aug 12, 2009
KS
✟21,039.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Actually, as a clergy member said, it is the solemnity of being in the church that precludes a kiss. You don't kiss in Orthodox services, traditionally, either. It's an American vulgarity.

I always thought it seemed kind of out of place. But hey, we kiss each other all the time at forgiveness vespers... ;)

Upvote 0

gzt

The age of the Earth is 4.54 ± 0.07 billion years
Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟116,222.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
so far more important today was vespers with Archimandrite Matthias and his profession of faith. Tomorrow morning will be, of course, the consecration. Fun times. Sooo many bishops around.

Upvote 0

Michael G

Abe Frohmann
Feb 22, 2004
Six-burgh, Pa
Visit site
✟95,591.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
so far more important today was vespers with Archimandrite Matthias and his profession of faith. Tomorrow morning will be, of course, the consecration. Fun times. Sooo many bishops around.

That brings back memories of the consecration of His Grace, Bishop MELCHISEDEK, 2 years ago. I was on the altar photographing the whole liturgy. It was awesome!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Philothei

Love never fails
Nov 4, 2006
Northeast, USA
✟68,179.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Yes, but that's different.

How is this any different..???

Historically the kiss of peace...started as early as 1st centuray it is in the bible...(st paul says to greed each other with a kiss). Also Clement of Rome mentions that we are not supposed to smack kiss but to give a "peck"...
"There are those who do nothing but make the church resound with the kiss, while not having love within themselves. This, the unrestained use of the kiss, also causes shameful suspicions and slanders. Ths very thing should be a mystery- the apostle calls it holy. Living worthy of the kingdom, we make known the goodwill of the spirit with a chanste and clossed mouth, by which civilized ways are shown. But there is another inpure kiss, full of poison, feigning holiness. Do you not know that even venomous spiders, fastening only to the lips, afflict men with pain. And kisses often inject the poison of licentiousness. "
-Clement of Alexandria-

from the book :Kissing Christians -Ritual and Community in the Late Ancient Church by Michael Philip Penn. page 1.

Upvote 0

Philothei

Love never fails
Nov 4, 2006
Northeast, USA
✟68,179.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I notice that our parish has Paschal Vespers Tu/Th of this week. What is the nature/purpose of these services?

They are celebratory services taken out of the Monastic typikon. The church does not stop prayers. They just are continued by the monastics. Since this is Bright Week then we adopted the Monastic trad. for this time of the year.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.