St. Euphrosynos Taverna and Ouzeri 44 (2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monica child of God 1

strives to live eschatologically
Feb 4, 2005
✟9,473.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for the input. So how does the passion gospels (tonight) rank amongst the important services? I heard it can be a rather draining service...

It is a long service, but I look forward to it every year. The 12 passion gospels...the nailing of the icon of Christ to the cross...kneeling before the cross and venerating...

It's the first service of Great and Holy Friday.

M.

Upvote 0

Michael G

Abe Frohmann
Feb 22, 2004
Six-burgh, Pa
Visit site
✟95,591.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Thanks for the input. So how does the passion gospels (tonight) rank amongst the important services? I heard it can be a rather draining service...

3 hours 35 minutes for the 12 Gospels + feet washing with Bishop THOMAS. YEAH!

I would rank it 3rd, with 2nd going to Friday Night Lamentations and 1st going to Pascha Resurrection Matins/Divine Liturgy (esp if it is done as one service starting at 10:30 pm...)

Upvote 0

Ortho_Cat

Orthodox Christian
Aug 12, 2009
KS
✟21,039.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Well, it lasted close to 3 hours. It was really an amazing service. My only regret is that I often times couldn't hear what the choir was saying, and sometimes the chanters. I wish I had a service book. But most of the time it was too dark to read it anyways! It seemed I was always struggling to understand what was being said. Other than that though, it was a deeply moving and very memorable service. :wave: :crosseo:

Upvote 0

Ortho_Cat

Orthodox Christian
Aug 12, 2009
KS
✟21,039.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
It is a long service, but I look forward to it every year. The 12 passion gospels...the nailing of the icon of Christ to the cross...kneeling before the cross and venerating...

It's the first service of Great and Holy Friday.

M.

When you say 'nailing of the icon of Christ onto the cross' did they do it for everyone to see? By the time I saw the cross moving in the procession, the icon was already nailed on it.

Upvote 0

Michael G

Abe Frohmann
Feb 22, 2004
Six-burgh, Pa
Visit site
✟95,591.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
When you say 'nailing of the icon of Christ onto the cross' did they do it for everyone to see? By the time I saw the cross moving in the procession, the icon was already nailed on it.

Most of the Churches I have seen have simple bolts that go where the nails are on the cross with the removable corpus. That way they can do the service every year without destroying the cross.

Upvote 0

-Kyriaki-

seeking answers in stillness
Sep 30, 2002
South Australia
Visit site
✟23,127.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Home between the Un-nailing service and the Lamentations, just finished making a giant bowl of couscous to go with other stuff we have for dinner...normally I'd make it with chicken stock and oil, but this one had a mixture of lemon juice and water to make the couscous, sweetcorn kernels, grated carrot, raisins, cinnamon, cloves, peas, pistachios and cashews!

It looks good, I hope it tastes good. We also have prawns (big shrimp), spring rolls cooked in the oven, and lots of salad for dinner.

I'm miserable - my illness is kicking my butt, but not as bad as Andrew who has a migraine and missed Church today and will miss it tonight :( Poor thing.

Reactions: MrJim
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Monica child of God 1

strives to live eschatologically
Feb 4, 2005
✟9,473.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

Yes it happened in the nave for everyone to see. The service began with an empty cross at the front of the nave. Midway through the service Met. JONAH attached the corpus icon to the cross with nails.

Most of the Churches I have seen have simple bolts that go where the nails are on the cross with the removable corpus. That way they can do the service every year without destroying the cross.

Yes, he used bolts or something. I just have always heard and used the terms "nailing" and "un-nailing."

M.

Upvote 0

Michael G

Abe Frohmann
Feb 22, 2004
Six-burgh, Pa
Visit site
✟95,591.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Yes, he used bolts or something. I just have always heard and used the terms "nailing" and "un-nailing."

M.

It is the Nailing and Un-nailing. It is simply easier to use bolts for the nails for ease and minimum damage to the cross.

Upvote 0

Michael G

Abe Frohmann
Feb 22, 2004
Six-burgh, Pa
Visit site
✟95,591.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I've never seen that done nor have I ever seen a cross with a detachable corpus...

I was going to paint one for a parish in Pittsburgh until the "heiromonk" chased me and Mrs. G out of the parish. Guess that is what he gets for cutting his nose off to spite his face.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

cobweb

Cranky octogenarian at heart
Jan 12, 2006
Georgia, USA
✟20,938.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
We have one that was painted by a (now retired) iconographer in our parish.

Pray for me that I don't end up throttling my kids before Holy Week is over. Their dad had school last night so there was no one to stand with them while I was in the choir. I looked over during one of the gospel readings and they were wrestling each other in front of the candle stand. They are WAY too old to be doing that.

Upvote 0

Ioannis

I'm home!
Dec 31, 2005
United States
✟16,504.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I'm still not sure what to do with the kids on Saturday night. Is it worth taking them when they'll just sleep through the service any way?

I don't have kids, but my opinion is "yes." For one thing, even sleeping, I still think it's spiritually beneficial for them. Plus, they'll get used to it and, for the part they are awake, it's a beautiful service. I love seeing kids at the Paschal Liturgy, even if they are sleeping. I've seen parents even bring pillows and blankets at some parishes. I just think that, even if sleeping, it's still good for them to be there. But, as I said, I'm not a parent. So...take it for what it's worth.

Upvote 0

Khaleas

Also known as Jenn the Finn :)
Feb 2, 2005
Virginia
✟9,581.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I'm still not sure what to do with the kids on Saturday night. Is it worth taking them when they'll just sleep through the service any way?

Have them take a nap, take them along and you might be surprised how long they'll stay awake. I don't know old yours are but we had a three year old absolutely refusing to go to sleep until after Communion last year (and we usually don't finish completely until almost 3:30 or so).
Bring a blanket and if they'll go to sleep they'll be warm.

I guess this is the only time of the year the pews are good... we have a bunch of kids sleeping under the pews away from the feet of everyone.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.