Visit site
✟95,591.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You know it's Pascha when you've been standing for three hours, you have a half hour to go until the liturgy ends, you're half asleep and you don't intend to go home for another three hours at least!

Funny thing was, I really did not get tired at all and my eyes did not shut one bit in the 3 hour liturgy.

Upvote 0

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟136,558.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Christ is Risen!

Three days at church, many hours of brass polishing, many hours of other things, a procession around the church carrying a twelve foot banner (three times around with Christ icon on banner), swapping censors between five priests and a deacon, shouting "Sicherlich er ist aufverstanden!" and "En verdad resucito!" at the top of my lungs while in the altar (hey, every else know the easy ones :p), two hours of cutting marinated sirloin and approximately... 10.75 hours of sleep between Holy Friday and right now; all the while, saying "Christ is Risen" to people in languages including but not limited to, Gaelic, German, Spanish, Latin, Tlingit, Russian, Greek, Arabic and English.

And after all this laboring, what do I earn by the time I leave the afternoon feast?
-1 2L bottle of Kvas
-2 full to go boxes of food (mostly rice with lamb, pork and other meats)
-1 to go box of desert
-1 Pascha basket with root beer, three bags of beef jerky, and assorted goodies

And last but not least...

Two raw sirloin steaks marinated with soy sauce, olive oil, red wine and garlic. Each steak is at least sixteen ounces and were marinated with the other steaks for a full twenty-four hours :bow::bow::bow: (I'm not worthy! I'm not worthy!)

Wow.

Only 364 more days until I will do this all again! MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! :clap:

Upvote 0

HandmaidenOfGod

Christ is Risen! Indeed He is Risen!
Sep 11, 2004
✟15,769.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
The joyous high of the Paschal feast is brought to a crashing halt with the reality of Monday's classes and assignments that are due today. :sigh:

With my Grandmother being sick last week, Holy Week services, and work obligations, lots got neglected last week and I fear I will pay for it dearly this week.

Oh how I wish Spring Break was synchronized with Holy Week!

Upvote 0

Michael G

Abe Frohmann
Feb 22, 2004
Six-burgh, Pa
Visit site
✟95,591.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Christ is Risen!

Three days at church, many hours of brass polishing, many hours of other things, a procession around the church carrying a twelve foot banner (three times around with Christ icon on banner), swapping censors between five priests and a deacon, shouting "Sicherlich er ist aufverstanden!" and "En verdad resucito!" at the top of my lungs while in the altar (hey, every else know the easy ones :p), two hours of cutting marinated sirloin and approximately... 10.75 hours of sleep between Holy Friday and right now; all the while, saying "Christ is Risen" to people in languages including but not limited to, Gaelic, German, Spanish, Latin, Tlingit, Russian, Greek, Arabic and English.

And after all this laboring, what do I earn by the time I leave the afternoon feast?
-1 2L bottle of Kvas
-2 full to go boxes of food (mostly rice with lamb, pork and other meats)
-1 to go box of desert
-1 Pascha basket with root beer, three bags of beef jerky, and assorted goodies

And last but not least...

Two raw sirloin steaks marinated with soy sauce, olive oil, red wine and garlic. Each steak is at least sixteen ounces and were marinated with the other steaks for a full twenty-four hours :bow::bow::bow: (I'm not worthy! I'm not worthy!)

Wow.

Only 364 more days until I will do this all again! MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! :clap:

:bow::bow::bow:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Rafaela

Dec 28, 2009
Southern US
✟15,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
When it came down to it, I could not do the Pascha services this year. I did Passover with my folks that I always do it with, but did not go to the synagogue. The church I've been going to lost its priest that I had been talking with. I like the new priest, but have not talked with him yet.

The whole Pascha sequence suddenly felt like a very intimate thing. I think that I need some kind of status as a catachumen or at least as a "serious inquirer" before I would feel comfortable attending. This is so wild; I have celebrated Easter much of my life and now I feel like I'm a stranger looking in.

Oh well. I'll start going back to church and see how things go.

Thank you all for being here.

Upvote 0

Rafaela

Dec 28, 2009
Southern US
✟15,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
If you church has a service before Saturday, Rafaela, please try to attend. It will be the Paschal Divine Liturgy, but it is not so long. You will love it.

We don't have anything until Sunday and that is an "Akathist" (am I spelling that right?) because we don't have a priest. The person who is serving is our priest comes from Minnesota and comes twice monthly.

Where I'm going is a mission and I'm wondering if I can really get a sense of the church this way.

Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.